Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Males singing like girls

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone else noticed this (to me) really irritating trend over the last few years, to stick in a really high pitched voice during a song? :smile:

Am I an out of touch GAMMON?

As an example Gavin James -sober, have just heard this on the radio and it annoyed me :wink:

https://youtu.be/LHm1ANy5OOA

Yeah I know we’ve had a few in the past like the Bee Gees and the Four Seasons but it now seems to be de rigeur

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Given that we had the castrato in the 17th century who really suffered for their craft, it is hardly new.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I really worry for this thread if somebody mentions Sam Smith

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
zefarelly;9965509 I can't hit some of the high notes I used to be able to . . . . [/QUOTE said:
Did you shoehorn them into every song you sang?

That is my point, so many songs these days where this seems to happen imo

I do seem to be alone here though!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nowt new about it - Smokey Robinson, The Beach Boys, loads of them. In fact, most of the top acts of the 60s (Hollies, Beatles, Searchers, The Who for example) had pretty high pitched vocals.

Jul 7, 2003
Frankie Valli, Tiny Tim, Stylistics, Jimmy Summerville, Modern Talking, The Darkness - always been high pitched male singers through the years.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Coincidentally, I've got a Jeff Buckley album on at the moment. I blame him.

By the way, the Castratos didn't end in the 17th century. For those who have never heard it, here is an excerpt from the album 'The Last Castrato' recordings of Alessandro Moreschi made at the beginning of the 20th century. It's a bit spooky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjvfqnD0ws

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Frankie Valli, Tiny Tim, Stylistics, Jimmy Summerville, Modern Talking, The Darkness - always been high pitched male singers through the years.

The Eagles came on the radio the other day (one of these nights) and it struck me that the Darkness ripped them off as well . . . . so many influnces over the years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here