Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] People's names which instantly trigger a song in your head

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
And I mean instantly, without second thought.

I literally cannot mention - or even think of - friends named Nigel without the XTC song coming up on my internal jukebox (and, usually, singing it). It's a bizarre trigger.

It's a similar story with an old work colleague Jolene, who is well used to folk bursting into song in front of her.

But it's not the case with every name/song combo - I don't think of Elvis Costello when I'm with women named Alison, for example.

Anyone else make instant name/song connections?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not even a name.

The word "Sunshine" provokes "Sunshine on a Waynee Grey"... every time.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Whenever I meet a Smithers Jones I ask how is the wife and home.

Nikki makes me chuckle any Prince fans would understand although you could hardly burst into song in front of them :lolol:

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Always reminds me of this splendid, super scheme set up by by TotP.

Well handled Chris.

My wife still talks about that - decades later. :)

Thought of another name/song trigger - Linda, and the Hue and Cry song, 'Looking for Linda'. Every time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And I mean instantly, without second thought.

I literally cannot mention - or even think of - friends named Nigel without the XTC song coming up on my internal jukebox (and, usually, singing it). It's a bizarre trigger.

Dear God?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Do you know any Roxannes though?

I sometimes talk to a woman I occasionally bump into when I'm out and we went for a few months without formally introducing ourselves to each other. After a few months she asked me my name. I told her and asked her hers. It was Roxanne.

Of course I immediately thought of the song but also thought that would be an easy way of remembering her name.

Then only last week (about a year after we had exchanged names) she asked me what my name was again as she had forgotten. I realised I had forgotten her name too and had to ask again and immediately remembered when she told me.

So while her name had immediately reminded me of the song, the song hadn't worked in reminding me of her name.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This, when I hear the name Sarah, not Sara.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here