Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Passport renewal

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Has anyone done an online passport renewal recently? Gov website is saying ten weeks, I presume that’s right but would be interested to know if anyone has been through the process. I’m heading abroad mid September and am resigned to trying to pay for an urgent renewal in Victoria but thought I would check with the NSC hive mind before I press the button on that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I did mine end of May, they sent me one that was damaged. I had to reapply via paper form for a 'free' replacement, took about 3 weeks.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Has anyone done an online passport renewal recently? Gov website is saying ten weeks, I presume that’s right but would be interested to know if anyone has been through the process. I’m heading abroad mid September and am resigned to trying to pay for an urgent renewal in Victoria but thought I would check with the NSC hive mind before I press the button on that.

Renewals are a lot shorter than 10 weeks atm.. Think its roughly about 2 weeks. Google it, they keep the timescales updated.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I did mine end of May, they sent me one that was damaged. I had to reapply via paper form for a 'free' replacement, took about 3 weeks.

Thanks. Unfortunately I think there are quite a few fools like me who hadn’t realised their passport had expired over the last 18 months of not using it and are now getting them renewed, backlog seems to have built up on the last couple of months.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd say an 'online renewal' is your best bet. Get that done and you'll likely get it back in time

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Thanks. Unfortunately I think there are quite a few fools like me who hadn’t realised their passport had expired over the last 18 months of not using it and are now getting them renewed, backlog seems to have built up on the last couple of months.

Thanks - found a couple of other websites saying it’s much shorter than ten weeks. I like a bit of stress so I’ll go for it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Have you tried using the post office, I did mine a while back, they do all the paperwork, take your photo and submit it, I think my new passport came back in less than a week.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I renewed mine a few years back from overseas and even that only took about two weeks from posting old passport to getting a new one back. At the height of Covid-mania all bets were off for renewal time but from 'what I've heard from others' it appears near enough back to normal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was in the same boat a few years back. Decided for peace of mind to go to Victoria.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I have consigned myself to weeks of misery waiting for an update and done it online. The cheapskate in me wins again.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
I renewed last month. About 2 weeks from start to finish online. Best to send in your old passport with some sort of tracking/signed-for.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Mine came back within a week. Did the application online. Hardest part is going a photo on your phone that is acceptable.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Have you tried using the post office, I did mine a while back, they do all the paperwork, take your photo and submit it, I think my new passport came back in less than a week.

Yep this is a great service, check website for which post offices can do it. My wife got her new passport in a week and only cost about £10 more.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Did mine about 6 weeks ago took about 3 weeks to come through, all very painless.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yep this is a great service, check website for which post offices can do it. My wife got her new passport in a week and only cost about £10 more.

The post office in the (Garrett's) Convenience Store near the level crossing in Lancing did mine.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My daughter has just left the Post Office employment.

I had mine renewed at the PO before she left, it took 10 days.
I have just asked her how long for a lapsed passport, she asked ex colleagues still at the PO , they reckon 4-6weeks, but you can get it fast tracked if you contact the passport office.

You still get the ‘or rib Le black one, and not the really splendid maroon one though.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

I submitted mine online last Saturday and it was delivered today!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here