Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lack of Defensive Options

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Looking at our options for this weekend it seems ridiculous we have allowed a situation where we are so short on defensive options. As it stands we have:

- Only one recognised right back/RWB who isn’t fit.
- No recognised senior left backs at the club at all.
- Only four fit senior centre halves two of which have limited match fitness and one of whom has been out of favour for all of last season (given the point about full backs that also means we need to play three centre backs)

Along with our inability to sign a new forward it really is a perplexing situation. I’m sure all the usual people will be along to slaughter me for daring to question Tony Bloom but something isn’t right in my eyes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“Recognized” positions is old thinking, Total Potterball has plenty of options for all positions.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We beat Man City with no recognised full backs, no Dunk, no Solly March. Webster played in the centre of a back three. Ali J and Moder played wing back. OK - they went down to 10 men early on, but it was Man City!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Is Solly injured now?

el punal

Looking at our options for this weekend it seems ridiculous we have allowed a situation where we are so short on defensive options. As it stands we have:

- Only four fit senior centre halves two of which have limited match fitness and one of whom has been out of favour for all of last season (given the point about full backs that also means we need to play three centre backs)

Along with our inability to sign a new forward it really is a perplexing situation. I’m sure all the usual people will be along to slaughter me for daring to question Tony Bloom but something isn’t right in my eyes.

You’re right - consider yourself slaughtered. FFS! We have this at the start of every season - why haven’t we signed this or that player, why haven’t we filled this position, why haven’t spent any money on strengthening defence, attack or midfield?
Then when we do spend zillions and that signing that doesn’t come up to scratch it’s why did we waste the money, the recruitment team hasn’t got a clue, etc.

I think the club and those responsible within it know a damn sight more than you and I about what is required, so just let them get on with it.

But hey, this is a fans forum so expressing opinions on whatever subject is what it’s all about so you’re forgiven. :thumbsup:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Looks like Richards maybe a part of the squad this season as Naylor says he has impressed pre season - not that the club tell Naylor much . He looks quick , maybe he can play as a full back ! I’m not joking.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

If you think this is bad, wait until you hear about our options upfront!

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Looks like Richards maybe a part of the squad this season as Naylor says he has impressed pre season - not that the club tell Naylor much . He looks quick , maybe he can play as a full back ! I’m not joking.

Left footed too.
Doesn't look like one for tracking back mind. Would be pure Potterball...

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

the answer is, "liquid football"

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I remember how Burnley outplayed us up there 2nd half and we caved eventually. Expect we will have to stand up to some of that again.

First half we were good though and needed that 2nd goal.

Lets hope we can get off to a winning start and lift everything

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
There is no lack of options in any position... there are way too many players at the club.

Agreed.
No lack of options at all. Possibly a lack of quality in some areas. Still hopeful we can move one or two on.
(Has anyone seen Locadia?)

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Hopeful it may be Tsongui's breakout season.

Big call. He is left footed though. I wonder whether he or Roberts will feature in the squad more than we probably expected earlier in the summer.
I'm pretty sure that one of the younger CB's has impressed Potter enough over pre-season.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
I got a feeling this season will start iffy then end up being a good one, the lack of defensive options is more concerning to me than the forward situation I actually wouldn't be shocked to see Duffy start against Burnley.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Looking at our options for this weekend it seems ridiculous we have allowed a situation where we are so short on defensive options. .

We have Veltman, Webster, Dunk, March, Duffy, Karbownik plus Gross, Moder, Alzate and Zeqiri who Potter is happy to play as wing backs.

So that’s 10 players for 4 or 5 positions. He’s really not short of options.

Of course - can he pick his preferred #1 line up? Probably not . I suspect he’d like a new wingback to cover Solly (hence: Cucurella) and Lamptey back fit and maybe a new CB so Duffy can go on loan/ off permanently.

But no options ? Hardly ? And Dunk, Veltman, March, Webster, Gross as the likely back 5 is hardly an inexperienced one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here