Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] MCC show common sense

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Anyone got a summary, I don't want to open a Mail story.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
The Warner stand at Lord's is named after a guy whose grandparents were slave owners. As he was born decades after the slave trade was abolished, the MCC decided that he shouldn't be held responsible for this, and will not rename the stand.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Warner stand at Lord's is named after a guy whose grandparents were slave owners. As he was born decades after the slave trade was abolished, the MCC decided that he shouldn't be held responsible for this, and will not rename the stand.

So....nothing happened today.

Was there a clamour for a name change, or was it a single issue organization fulfilling their constitutional duty, or one individual, or perhaps nobody at all?

Was it a victory for common sense, or political incorrectness gone mad?

I will nip off and see if it has been reported by a reputable news outlet....

Edit, story in Mail and Telegraph only. The bits not behind the paywall simply say the MCC committee investigated and decided to not blah blah.

Boring thread so far....

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Anyone got a summary, I don't want to open a Mail story.

At a guess: more ammo for the culture war when what we should be doing is concentrating on important stuff.

Like the planet being shafted, without lube, in the anus, by the human collective.

At a guess.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

So it’s yet another Daily Mail non-story whose sole purpose is to stir up division & hatred………..and of course the usual suspects pile on

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12

Looks like it was only reported by the Mail and the Telegraph. They were just trying to convince their readers that the "Lefties" had been defeated in trying to make the MCC all woke.

In fact, it's a non story.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So it’s yet another Daily Mail non-story whose sole purpose is to stir up division & hatred………..and of course the usual suspects pile on

Unfortunately other 'usual suspects' (e.g., you and I) will now be accused by the original usual suspects of piling in with our 'woke' snowflakery.

Bit disappointed in the OP to be honest. He does let himself down from time to time, as do we all, and all in our own tedious fashion.

This thread is tedious and heading for the pit so I'm out.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

Was there a clamour for a name change, or was it a single issue organization fulfilling their constitutional duty, or one individual, or perhaps nobody at all?

Was it a victory for common sense, or political incorrectness gone mad?

Edit, story in Mail and Telegraph only. The bits not behind the paywall simply say the MCC committee investigated and decided to not blah blah.

Boring thread so far....

You can tell if a thread's about political correctness or racism or whatever, if it's notionally about cricket but has more than about 5 of the usual posters on those threads writing stuff like "11/3, ffs".

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
So far as I can tell it is a story about something that hasn't happened and isn't going to happen.

It must be August.

:shrug:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Unfortunately other 'usual suspects' (e.g., you and I) will now be accused by the original usual suspects of piling in with our 'woke' snowflakery.

Bit disappointed in the OP to be honest. He does let himself down from time to time, as do we all, and all in our own tedious fashion.

This thread is tedious and heading for the pit so I'm out.

Made me chuckle on your way :thumbsup: :lol:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This will be a red rag to a bull for the professionally offended, hoards of unwashed smellys will be descending on St John’s wood,pitch forks sharpened,knee pads on, demanding reparations.

Indeed. The stinking Gammon will be redder in the face than ever whilst squealing:

“This art work is history, you can’t re-write history”

And

“I suppose you want to pull down all works of art and statues now”

With a bit of

“This is all far left woke PC nonsense, leave history alone”

All over this snippet:

“……the directive to remove artwork associated with the club's first secretary Ben Aislabie from the MCC's Long Room and Pavilion.

Aislabie, who owned slaves in Antigua and Dominica, had directly profited from the vile practice, the review found.”

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You can tell if a thread's about political correctness or racism or whatever, if it's notionally about cricket but has more than about 5 of the usual posters on those threads writing stuff like "11/3, ffs".

To be honest, you can often guess that a thread is about political correctness, purely by who has started it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Common sense did not prevail as there was never a move to rename it anyway

They were right about the portraits though. Not sure a West Indian cricketer should have to see a portrait of someone who 'owned' an ancestor when he walks through the long room.

Folk looking for a fight when there isn't one to be had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here