Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] False 9.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
Rather than hunting for an expensive striker, what are the thoughts on signing a false 9? potentially could get maybe 10 goals, Oxlade Chamberlain springs to mind, he would certainly get forward and knows where the goal is and word is he's available.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My thought is I absolutely hate that cringey fifa generation ‘phrase’ that’s crept into football. False 9 FFS :facepalm:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My thought is I absolutely hate that cringey fifa generation ‘phrase’ that’s crept into football. False 9 FFS :facepalm:

Yes it is complete shite

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think we played with a false No.9 against Arsenal. It worked so well that I still don’t know who out of Trossard, Ali-J & Mac Allister was the false player?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Do we have a better term though? How would you describe the role Fabregas played for Spain at Euro 2012, for example? He certainly wasn't a striker/No.9 in the traditional sense.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Rather than hunting for an expensive striker, what are the thoughts on signing a false 9? potentially could get maybe 10 goals, Oxlade Chamberlain springs to mind, he would certainly get forward and knows where the goal is and word is he's available.

We've had loads ever since Muzza stopped playing according to some on here anyway :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great. The Ox can join Lallana, MacAllister, Caicedo, Gross and Trossard all buzzing round the edge of the area like a swarm of bees while the six yard box remains a desolate wasteland

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Ha! Too right, blud.

What we need is a post that says, "we need a false 9 that can play between the lines and help us transition from a low block to a high press in a single phase of play" to complete the box set of shite NFL-type phrases that have been crow-barred into a sport where they offer little meaning.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Do we have a better term though? How would you describe the role Fabregas plated for Spain at Euro 2012, for example? He certainly wasn't a striker/No.9 in the traditional sense.

In the hole? It’s always been playing in the hole… or attacking mid…

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Someone probably thought the same when the phrases "target man" and "poacher" appeared back in the days.

In some countries, like Germany (4 world cup wins), Italy (4 world cup wins) and Brazil (5 world cup wins), they have 30+ words to describe different roles on the pitch. It helps national debates on how to play football in the optimal way. Detailed languages leads to detailed thoughts, a multitude of expressions helps people to explain things.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This. Right up there with all that 'High Press' bolleaux. Phrase just sneaks in out of nowhere then gets mindlessly parroted everywhere

Just hoof it! Oops, damn it... "hoof it" wasnt invented the same day as football either... just kick the ball up front to the inside-right and the inside-left then.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
This. Right up there with all that 'High Press' bolleaux. Phrase just sneaks in out of nowhere then gets mindlessly parroted everywhere

Absolutely this. We want proper football terms like "Early Doors".

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Unlike target man and poacher, "false 9" is a really shit term.

Target man - The man who is the target
Poacher - One who poaches

False 9 - Shares some similarities with the player that formerly wore the number 9 shirt back in the day, but actually quite different to that because he has a different role and plays in a different position, so it's a bit like the old number 9, but not.

Like... a false 9?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
To my mind a "false 9" should only be used in describing the effects of beer goggles at around about 1am on a Saturday night down the Paradox.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here