Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Robin Williams...on this day in 2014

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
We lost the great man to suicide. Still makes me upset all these years later - absolutely loved the guy, right from when I first saw him in Mork & Mindy as a kid in the early '80s.

williamsrs.jpg

Personally, my two fav films were Good Morning Vietnam & Dead Poets Society....but what were your favourites, and your memories, of one of the best comics of his generation?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Also a very keen cyclist btw. Had an amazing collection of bikes, apparently.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Very sad. Not my sense of humour in the slightest but clearly a talented and much loved comedian. Seven years ago? Wow.
I recall M&M being on in the morning during school holidays just before The Monkees. My Brothers loved them both.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We lost the great man to suicide. Still makes me upset all these years later - absolutely loved the guy, right from when I first saw him in Mork & Mindy as a kid in the early '80s.

View attachment 139377

Personally, my two fav films were Good Morning Vietnam & Dead Poets Society....but what were your favourites, and your memories, of one of the best comics of his generation?

Good Morning Vietnam still a go to film to watch.
A funny guy :)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The world according to Garp is a great film, probably my favourite,
His performances in Good Will Hunting was excellent too.

Many of his standout performances were seemingly written for him. i.e Good Morning Vietnam/Mrs Doubtfire/Alladin.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Enormously talented in both comedy and straight acting.

But also a very active social conscience and actually did what he could around homelessness, unemployment and so on. It almost always brings a tear to my eye when I read anything about him.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
His improvisation in comedy was utter genius. One of my favourite comedians as well as Jack Dee and Julian Clary.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I don't find his stand up funny at all - but his serious acting blows me away. He was such a tortured soul and a huge loss.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Great thread. I’m with you. Total genius, a sad loss to the world.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
When I used to go to the Comedy Store in Leicester Sq. as you go down the stairs, there is a
photo of him on the wall amidst other comedy legends. It always saddens me.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Apart from Mork and Mindy I was never actually a huge fan of his work and there isn't a single one of his films that I'd want to see again. However even though he wasn't quite my cup of tea I have no hesitation in saying that he was hugely-talented performer and unquestionably deserved all the plaudits he received.

It's a bit like admiring an opposition player in football! You know they're good, but they're not 'yours'.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think his best film was One Hour Photo.
That was scary at first then very touching at the end .

My favourite moment was during a stand up routine and he mentioned how he would stop the needless slaughter of the thousands of Americans killed by guns each year......" Give everyone free guns, as many as they like, they can have dozens each if they want .......but increase the price of a bullet to $10,000 each. "

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Aladdin is one of my favourites, absolutely perfect casting as the genie. The fact he named his daughter Zelda is also a massive plus point for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here