Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Electric bathroom towel heater radiator things

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thinking of having these installed to keep my towels nice and warm and fluffy but they seem a bit of a faff regarding turning them on and off and timer switches and energy inefficient etc.

Are these a good idea or should I just stick with a rail to dry my bath towel?

Before anyone asks, the heating is a low temperature underfloor system which isn’t warm enough for radiators…hence I will need electric.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Thinking of having these installed to keep my towels nice and warm and fluffy but they seem a bit of a faff regarding turning them on and off and timer switches and energy inefficient etc.

Before anyone asks, the heating is a low temperature underfloor system which isn’t warm enough for radiators…hence I will need electric.

We have underfloor heating, but our bathroom radiators are linked to the hot water circuit and work beautifully.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
have two such towel rails with electric elements in them

timers a bit of a faff but easily overriden so you can turn off / on when you want

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We have underfloor heating, but our bathroom radiators are linked to the hot water circuit and work beautifully.

Unfortunately for radiators, the temperature of the water in our system will never be warm/hot enough for radiated heating.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I have one in Spain and wouldn’t be without it. It’s supposed to have an in-built timer but have fitted an external one and am extremely happy.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Have you thought of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06r4_D9LqA8&ab_channel=RubberduckBathroomsLtd

I don't know if they make them in Albion colours though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mine's linked to the central heating

How can you install an electric device in a bathroom? I thought that building regulations were such that you can't have power sockets in the room - at least, that's what our builder told us

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

How can you install an electric device in a bathroom? I thought that building regulations were such that you can't have power sockets in the room - at least, that's what our builder told us
He’s half right you can’t have a traditional socket, electric underfloor heating, towel rails etc are normally controlled from outside the bathroom unless the switching device is IP rated.

Obviously I’m going on UK regs. Spain definitely has a different approach in the hotel we stayed at there was a socket next to the bathroom sink.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Guess it’s different over here, we have plugs in our bathroom for things like electric razor and toothbrush.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

You can't install a 3 pin socket in a bathroom in the UK. I hardwired one I fitted directly into a fused outlet designed for hardwiring into.

That's OK as can't be unplugged and another appliance plugged in.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Guess it’s different over here, we have plugs in our bathroom for things like electric razor and toothbrush.

You can have shaver sockets in a bathroom in the UK too. They have to have a transformer in them to make them low voltage tho.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
5 minute job, piece of piss.

Hmmm

He’s half right you can’t have a traditional socket, electric underfloor heating, towel rails etc are normally controlled from outside the bathroom unless the switching device is IP rated.

You can't install a 3 pin socket in a bathroom in the UK. I hardwired one I fitted directly into a fused outlet designed for hardwiring into.

I must say that neither of these options strike me as a five minute job or a piece of piss

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Hmmm

I must say that neither of these options strike me as a five minute job or a piece of piss

I think you may have missed reading any thread that relates to getting work done in a property or DIY.

5 minute job is posted on almost every one of these threads as a joke……..:)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you may have missed reading any thread that relates to getting work done in a property or DIY.

5 minute job is posted on almost every one of these threads as a joke……..:)

:smile:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Youre clearly more posh than I. Ambient air dried towels for us lowly riff raff

You can have shaver sockets in a bathroom in the UK too. They have to have a transformer in them to make them low voltage tho.

Years ago in my old flat I tried to use a travel adapter to plug my laptop into the shaver socket in the bathroom (so I could watch a stream of a match whilst sitting in the bath)...
Hadn't realised it was only low voltage and sure enough blew the fuse or something inside the socket went pop as soon as I used it. :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here