Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I really hate this time of year.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I really hate the transfer window.

Why is it 3 months long? Why can’t clubs do their transfer business in a month?
My plan would be, the window opens on 1st July across the whole of Europe. Clubs then have until the 31st of July to complete all transfer business. Most players have an agent now, and most clubs have recruitment departments so , why such a lengthy window. The January window is only open for 31 days, and opens and slams shuts on the same day across Europe, so why not the Summer window?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Best to just let it all wash over you, in the interests of inner calm. Que sera sera and all that. Cometh the hour, there will be 11 players turn out in the stripes. Why on earth would you beat yourself up over it? Maybe just switch off your NSC and go out and do something more interesting instead?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But...but...but...the clicks! The chance to claim to be ITK for the fame! The opportunity to fill newspaper pages with ultimately nothing instead of having to actually do some work!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
When/if I become the World Dictator, I'll remove most of the transfer concept.

All players in a league should get equal initial pay (at a very much lower level than now), with an increase every year to promote loyalty among players making them more attached to their clubs (and cities / clubs), making them more relatable. Players would be allowed to leave but would start over at the initial payment. This would encourage clubs to spend more money on their youth sections, increasing the number of local players in each time, which I believe would also increase the passion of the fans. More investment in academies would also mean more resources in helping the kids physically and psychologically, hopefully increasing the health in the many many thousands of young men and women playing football.

The decrease in wages could be used to expand stadiums, lower ticket prices, support smaller clubs around the country etc. In short, football should be returned to the people.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

All players in a league should get equal initial pay (at a very much lower level than now), with an increase every year to promote loyalty among players making them more attached to their clubs (and cities / clubs), making them more relatable. Players would be allowed to leave but would start over at the initial payment. This would encourage clubs to spend more money on their youth sections, increasing the number of local players in each time, which I believe would also increase the passion of the fans. More investment in academies would also mean more resources in helping the kids physically and psychologically, hopefully increasing the health in the many many thousands of young men and women playing football.

The decrease in wages could be used to expand stadiums, lower ticket prices, support smaller clubs around the country etc. In short, football should be returned to the people.

I thought my idea about the Olympics was radical. It consisted of removing all drug restrictions and actually allowing athletes to be sponsored by various steroid producers. The day I see some 18 year old throw a Javelin 3 miles I will know my dream is a reality.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

How very Walter Mitty :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

You can blame Jimmy Hill for removing some of that particular fantasy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's the most wonderful time of the year.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
How about you tell yourself it opened on August 1st and anything that happened in June and July was simply pre-window rumour?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Sun's shining, weather looks great for the foreseeable... When and how long the transfer window is open for is pretty far down my list of concerns to be honest.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Best to just let it all wash over you, in the interests of inner calm. Que sera sera and all that. Cometh the hour, there will be 11 players turn out in the stripes. Why on earth would you beat yourself up over it? Maybe just switch off your NSC and go out and do something more interesting instead?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Well, I would say I'd vote for you but:

a) that rather defeats the point of being a Dictator
b) I suspect (but don't know of course) there may be other elements of your manifesto that I would find less appealing

I like this though. I wonder how easy it would be for a government to legislate for it - I suspect not easy at all (eg impossible), but I reckon it would be a vote winner for any oppositon that reckoned it had the means and balls to follow through with implementation.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Me too. Days getting shorter, nights drawing in. Heating clicking on overnight. Slow inevitable March towards the dullness of of an autumn lasting six months before hope arrives again in spring.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Me too. Days getting shorter, nights drawing in. Heating clicking on overnight. Slow inevitable March towards the dullness of of an autumn lasting six months before hope arrives again in spring.

And the start of the footie season.................GET IN:rave:

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
I really hate the transfer window.

Why is it 3 months long? Why can’t clubs do their transfer business in a month?
My plan would be, the window opens on 1st July across the whole of Europe. Clubs then have until the 31st of July to complete all transfer business. Most players have an agent now, and most clubs have recruitment departments so , why such a lengthy window. The January window is only open for 31 days, and opens and slams shuts on the same day across Europe, so why not the Summer window?

20 years ago it never closed.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I just don’t understand who a 3 month window is meant to help. It can’t be the selling club, shirley they want it sorted , sooner rather than later. The buying club must want new players in asap. The fans of both clubs would rather have it sorted, for better or worse.

The only possible beneficiaries of this interminable transfer window, is as someone mentioned earlier, the press and click bait sites that most fans abhor.
The way it is now, it’s 2 months 3 weeks and 5 days where nothing much happens for most clubs, and then a manic 48 hours before it slams shut. And every year it’s the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here