Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League announces fans subject to random spot checks on Covid-19 status

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Spot checks at some grounds, either poorly worded or it should be at all PL grounds.

What would be the point of spot checks at the Amex given everyone is checked before coming in? I believe that's why it's some grounds. This seems like a minimum introduced by the premier league, with some clubs, like us, being more thorough (perhaps it is because not every club can set up a perimeter in the same way?).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What would be the point of spot checks at the Amex given everyone is checked before coming in? I believe that's why it's some grounds. This seems like a minimum introduced by the premier league, with some clubs, like us, being more thorough (perhaps it is because not every club can set up a perimeter in the same way?).
It is for when the masked up palace ultras storm the turnstiles and kick other fans out of their seats ?

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
the checks take forever, get to home games earlier, last saturday was a mess with id,covid status and the electro ticket on phone------ jeez it takes some time i tell you.
The worse thing is until people get used to it , it wont get any quicker

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
the checks take forever, get to home games earlier, last saturday was a mess with id,covid status and the electro ticket on phone------ jeez it takes some time i tell you.

That's odd. I'm sure I read on here that it took a matter of seconds to show the ID etc at the last game.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
That's odd. I'm sure I read on here that it took a matter of seconds to show the ID etc at the last game.

I don't know what the previous poster (Red Pepper) means............took me literally SECONDS to show my driving license and Covid Passport thing on my phone to the steward and a few seconds for my son and myself to enter the ground using my phone to activate the gate.

Some people will moan about anything these days :nono:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Gary Neville on Twitter -

Gary Neville
@GNev2
·
5h
Random Spot-Checks ! What a bizarre policy

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

well, not quite sure what your definition of forever is, but the line i was in( and the one next to it) it took a few seconds for each person, apart from one who waited until he got to the checker before getting his phone from pocket, turning it on, loading the NHS App, faffing around logging in, not having done the minimum of prep before hand, despite it being perfectly clear what was needed. That wasn't you by any chance was it?

The checks were a lot quicker than the searches so it didnt actually make the queueing any longer than normal

Now the premier league have said that spot checks will take place, any club not as prepared as Brighton now have only a few days to plan, implement, train staff and inform fans of the process- a recipe for massive queues and delays when stadiums reopen to full capacity from this weekend. At least Brighton have now had a good test event, staff and fans know what to expect.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I wouldnt be surprised if its the Ofsted of Covid checks...... they'll turn up at random grounds periodically and then check covid passes versus test results etc for compliance and stats.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
For the 31000 people at Lords for the test match there were zero checks on whether any one had been jabbed.
There was no need for any NHS App to be checked or ID shown.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
For the 31000 people at Lords for the test match there were zero checks on whether any one had been jabbed.
There was no need for any NHS App to be checked or ID shown.

Fantastic.

The sooner we get back to normal the better. The crowd/atmosphere looked great on television

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I've just spotted this in the Daily Telegraph.
The last bit about checks being possibly made mandatory from October is a reminder that the experts know that our Covid problems are far from over and that they are expecting another wave.
It makes you realise how Brighton are planning ahead rather than taking the easy option.

"Crowds will return to Premier League football this weekend for the first time since March last year but plans for clubs to carry out
random spot-checks of fans’ Covid-19 status could lead to some disruption and yet see some supporters turned away from grounds.

Some clubs, including Brighton, Chelsea and Tottenham, are insisting on fans producing evidence they have received both vaccines or proof of a negative lateral flow test in the last 48 hours in order to gain entry to the stadium.

This is in anticipation of the possibility of the government making such requirements mandatory from October."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/08/13/premier-league-covid-trouble-everton-missing-five-players-edinson/

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I've just spotted this in the Daily Telegraph.
The last bit about checks being possibly made mandatory from October is a reminder that the experts know that our Covid problems are far from over and that they are expecting another wave.
It makes you realise how Brighton are planning ahead rather than taking the easy option.

"Crowds will return to Premier League football this weekend for the first time since March last year but plans for clubs to carry out
random spot-checks of fans’ Covid-19 status could lead to some disruption and yet see some supporters turned away from grounds.

Some clubs, including Brighton, Chelsea and Tottenham, are insisting on fans producing evidence they have received both vaccines or proof of a negative lateral flow test in the last 48 hours in order to gain entry to the stadium.

This is in anticipation of the possibility of the government making such requirements mandatory from October."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/08/13/premier-league-covid-trouble-everton-missing-five-players-edinson/

It's not new news though.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...nment-proposals-around-use-at-sporting-events

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here