Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 2021-22 Scholars and U-18 Matches Thread

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He was 18 and did't want to sign a contract because didn.t think he would play. Our 15 year old must have gone to Chelsea for the money and at that think it is wrong

We have a world class academy and attract players from big clubs, small clubs, rest of world and all ages. Fine if you think it’s wrong of course but It’s not one way and presumably Albion are as wrong as anyone else.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Looks like a new academy centre back signing for the Albion:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/...lves-to-signing-of-blackpool-sensation-penman

[tweet]1434450962677174273[/tweet]

Selected by the Guardian as our best talent for this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...0-of-the-best-talents-at-premier-league-clubs

A left-sided, ball-playing centre-back signed from Blackpool last September, at 6ft 2in Penman is both a commanding presence and calm in possession. He has trained with the first team on occasions this season and featured for the Under-21s in the Sussex Senior Cup. Penman joined Blackpool aged nine and played for their Under-18s at 15. He continues to rise to each challenge. Has been encouraged to take inspiration from the playing styles of first-team regulars such as captain Lewis Dunk and Adam Webster. “He is one we are really excited about,” says Under-18s coach Gary Dicker.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10402099 said:
Selected by the Guardian as our best talent for this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...0-of-the-best-talents-at-premier-league-clubs

A left-sided, ball-playing centre-back signed from Blackpool last September, at 6ft 2in Penman is both a commanding presence and calm in possession. He has trained with the first team on occasions this season and featured for the Under-21s in the Sussex Senior Cup. Penman joined Blackpool aged nine and played for their Under-18s at 15. He continues to rise to each challenge. Has been encouraged to take inspiration from the playing styles of first-team regulars such as captain Lewis Dunk and Adam Webster. “He is one we are really excited about,” says Under-18s coach Gary Dicker.

Sounds interesting. I had a look back through those previously identified, and it was Ifill and Jack Hinshelwood. Was wondering how/why Ferguson slipped through their net. But, having looked at his wiki page, he joined us in Jan 2021 and that doesn't leave too long for them to pinpoint him prior to generating their list in Sep 21. They tend to go for 16yos, which Ferguson was then:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Ferguson

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I know Brighton do it but just seems wrong that scouts can poach 15 year olds. The worse thing is Brighton can only be loosing players to big clubs for money. Mad at that age

Whilst they are still u16 or younger no player is under contract at all so are free to go to any academy they like. However if they do shift academies the one they move to has to compensate the academy they are moving from for the costs associated with their training so far. Basically if Chelsea are promising that lad the world and he likes what they're saying then he is free to go (if Chelsea are happy to compensate the Albion for the costs so far). Given the costs go up considerably after U14 level it's common for clubs to poach players at the end of the U14 season; Palace have even come out and identified it as a tactic they should do to bolster their academy.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Harry Mills, Joe Knight, Jayden Fuller, Charlie Tasker, Charlie Penman, Harry Lee, Lorenz Ferdinand, and Zane Albarus
I was wondering what was going on with Jaydon Fuller (a second-year scholar this season). He hadn't featured for the U-18s since appearing as a sub back in December.

He's posted on social media today that he has just had surgery (no idea what for and, of course, none of our business) but hopefully he can make a full recovery and return to his footballing career as soon as possible.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Albion have a new 1st-year scholar: Kain Ryan.

[TWEET]1464309611905925135[/TWEET]

Ryan was at Derby County where he started his scholarship in the summer. He was on the bench for the U-18s against Chelsea on Saturday.

He's a centre-back (goes without saying, of course).

Just noticed that U-21 centre-back Kain Ryan played for the Stoke City U-21s against Man Utd three weeks ago - and it doesn't seem to have gone so well. :ohmy:

Looking at the highlights on the United website, he gave the ball away for United's first goal, Stoke were losing 6-1 by half-time and he didn't re-appear after the interval (final score 10-1). He hasn't featured since.

Don't know if it was a trial or a loan (Leigh Kavanagh was loaned to the Derby County U-21s for the first half of last season, so it does happen). Can't imagine we are likely to see him feature for our U-21s anytime soon.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Harry Mills, Joe Knight, Jayden Fuller, Charlie Tasker, Charlie Penman, Harry Lee, Lorenz Ferdinand, and Zane Albarus
The Argus has reported that "Albion have confirmed two of their 18-year-old prospects have signed professional contracts." Now, I can't see anything on the Albion website or on their social media, so I can only assume it was in the programme on Saturday. Can anyone confirm?

The two players are Joe Knight and Zane Albarus (it is a bit strange that Albarus is mentioned, because he was a contracted professional as at the end of last season - presumably this, then, was a contract extension).

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
The Argus has reported that "Albion have confirmed two of their 18-year-old prospects have signed professional contracts." Now, I can't see anything on the Albion website or on their social media, so I can only assume it was in the programme on Saturday. Can anyone confirm?

The two players are Joe Knight and Zane Albarus (it is a bit strange that Albarus is mentioned, because he was a contracted professional as at the end of last season - presumably this, then, was a contract extension).
Yes it was in Saturdays programme

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

It was in the programme but strange bit mentioned on socials.

Is it Albarus first outing for u21s tonight?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It was in the programme but strange bit mentioned on socials.

Is it Albarus first outing for u21s tonight?
Made a couple of appearances in the SSC last season. Has appeared against Liverpool and Palace in PL2 as a sub this season, and also as a sub against Dinamo Zagreb in the PLIC.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Great news about Joe Knight. Looks a great prospect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here