Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 2021-22 Scholars and U-18 Matches Thread

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Last month Albion announced the new 1st-year scholars for the season, and it would seem sensible to have a thread that keeps all info related to the U-18s (and the matches they play) together.

This is the new intake (Evan Ferguson wasn't included in the photo, for some reason):-

New1stYearScholars2021-22.jpg
Photo credit: Paul Hazlewood/Brighton and Hove Albion FC

From l to r: Eliot Jenks, Joshua Duffus, Bailey Smith, Hugo Fisher, Joe Winstanley, Ruairi McConville, Jake Gee, Tommy Reid, Jack Hinshelwood

Albion are currently searching for a new U-18s head coach after Mark Beard departed for a coaching role at National League Stockport County, where former Albion U-18s and U-23s head coach Simon Rusk is now manager.

There has just been an England U-17 training camp (this week) and new 1st-year scholar, goalkeeper Tommy Reid, was invited. He wore the number 1 shirt for the "Whites" in an intra-squad match yesterday:-

TommyReid.jpg

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Reid looks a unit. Straight out of the Sanchez mould. Hope he shares the same promise.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Joe Winstanley any relation to Paul?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Looking forward to getting more information on the U18s and their progress through the season than I get from the Albion website. Looking to you, #AZGull!
:thumbsup:

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
This is probably the best place to post this, as goalkeeper Toby Bull is with the Albion as a third-year scholar this season (and still eligible to play for the U-18s). I wasn't aware of any Irish connection, but he has been called up as part of a 35-man Republic of Ireland U-19 training camp this week - U19 | 35 called-up for Dublin training camp

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Last month Albion announced the new 1st-year scholars for the season, and it would seem sensible to have a thread that keeps all info related to the U-18s (and the matches they play) together.

This is the new intake (Evan Ferguson wasn't included in the photo, for some reason):-

View attachment 139275
Photo credit: Paul Hazlewood/Brighton and Hove Albion FC

From l to r: Eliot Jenks, Joshua Duffus, Bailey Smith, Hugo Fisher, Joe Winstanley, Ruairi McConville, Jake Gee, Tommy Reid, Jack Hinshelwood

Albion are currently searching for a new U-18s head coach after Mark Beard departed for a coaching role at National League Stockport County, where former Albion U-18s and U-23s head coach Simon Rusk is now manager.

There has just been an England U-17 training camp (this week) and new 1st-year scholar, goalkeeper Tommy Reid, was invited. He wore the number 1 shirt for the "Whites" in an intra-squad match yesterday:-

View attachment 139276

Thank you so much for the time, effort and detail you put into this AZ. It's always one of my favourite threads each close season, as it's an important part of the club, I don't know much about. Your knowledge of the academy side is fantastic and the thread always illuminating :)

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Albion U-18s commence their U-18 Premier League South campaign tomorrow - their eighth season in the competition. They begin with a trip to new opponents; both Birmingham City and Nottingham Forest have attained Category One Academy status for the 2021-22 season and Brum have joined the South division of the U-18 league, with Forest joining the North. It will be the first time they have faced the Birmingham U-18s in a competitive fixture since September 2013 when both teams competed in the Professional Development League, and a number of fixtures were added to the schedule between teams in the northern and southern divisions (Albion won 2-1 at Birmingham on that occasion, with goals from Jordan Maguire-Drew and Cameron Wiltshire).

In the absence of any word from the club on a successor to Mark Beard, I would presume that his former assistant James Baxter will take charge of the side. He certainly seemed to take the squad for their pre-season friendly at Burgess Hill Town last week:-

JamesBaxter.jpg

In terms of players: I believe new scholar Jack Hinshelwood may be suspended for the match - he was sent off against Aston Villa on April 24 for "violent conduct" [as reported on the goal.com website], which would carry a 3-match ban. There was only one further league match after that. I don't know whether the U-17 Premier League Cup Final against Middlesbrough would count. The FA website used to carry all these details but, very annoyingly, that section of their site disappeared part way through last season so it is impossible to be definitive.

It will be interesting to see how many of last season's 1st-years remain integral members of the squad this campaign. Based upon pre-season friendly matches, it may well be that the likes of Andrew Moran, Marcus Ifill and Samy Chouchane spend the bulk of their time this season with the U-23s (apart, presumably, from the FA Youth Cup matches).

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Is Ben Smith still with us? Surprised he hasn’t stepped up the u18s (again)

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Is Ben Smith still with us? Surprised he hasn’t stepped up the u18s (again)

Yes (as far as I am aware). As there has been no announcement yet, I assume the recruitment process is still ongoing, so he may well get the gig.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Albion U-16 Harry Lee (who had his first involvement with the U-18s in the 4-2 home win over Aston Villa back in April as a non-playing substitute) has been called up for the England U-16 training camp being held from August 14th - 18th (with a fixture against Scotland due to be played at the end of it).

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
3-2 win for Albion U-18s today, with a hat-trick for Zak Emmerson. U-16 Charlie Tasker made his debut, starting at centre-back. Rio's son Lorenz, an U-16 goalkeeper, was on the bench.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Albion U-16 Harry Lee (who had his first involvement with the U-18s in the 4-2 home win over Aston Villa back in April as a non-playing substitute) has been called up for the England U-16 training camp being held from August 14th - 18th (with a fixture against Scotland due to be played at the end of it).

This is Harry Lee:-

[TWEET]1428010499573264384[/TWEET]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here