Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some people need to take a chill pill

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I would have thought it was inappropriate for a funeral director to repeat something that happened at a crematorium, on a public football forum. Doesn’t confidentiality come into it?

I didn’t name names, it was just an observation on something which was totally uncalled for in the grand scheme of things.

But judging by some of the reactions on here, we are already a long way down a rocky road.

But just hypothetically, sadly we all know dear old Roy Chuter took his own life, I was the Celebrant at his funeral on the day, and opened up with exactly the same greeting, good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, if a non binary person had collared me, the overwhelming majority on here would have said given the circumstances of the occasion ‘they’ were wrong to raise such a trivial issue.

I turned 57 on Tuesday, I’m glad I’m not 27 that’s for certain 👍

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Picture the scene, Worthing Crematorium post lockdown, attendance restrictions lifted, and one of my favourite funeral celebrants opens our service with,
"Good afternoon Lades and Gentleman, and thank you for attending this service of celebration for the late...…"

After the service has finished, an individual approached the Celebrant and said "I was deeply offended by the term Ladies and Gentleman as I'm non binary and don't identify as either"

Some people need to get out more :ffsparr:

“Imagine how awful this would have been if today was about you” would have been my response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’d have just said “well, today isn’t about you so goodbye”.
Time and a place.
Having said that, the world is changing in this respect and mostly for the better.
However, I think the OP is lying and shit stirring. So I regret posting now.
What a confused mess I have become.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I didn’t name names, it was just an observation on something which was totally uncalled for in the grand scheme of things.

But judging by some of the reactions on here, we are already a long way down a rocky road.

But just hypothetically, sadly we all know dear old Roy Chuter took his own life, I was the Celebrant at his funeral on the day, and opened up with exactly the same greeting, good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, if a non binary person had collared me, the overwhelming majority on here would have said given the circumstances of the occasion ‘they’ were wrong to raise such a trivial issue.

I turned 57 on Tuesday, I’m glad I’m not 27 that’s for certain [emoji106]
Why you are bringing that into ?

Creating a complety hypothetical situation (that didn't happen) to back up another of your click bait posts.

Take a break.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Personally, if someone prefers be referred to as they 'they' I'm happy to do that. A friend told me recently his daughter was trans and I immediately adopted a change of terms.

Life is too short.

Having initially bought into the anti woke thing I find that there do seem to be a lot of cry babies who are upset that they can't either be nasty about people anymore, or are just unwilling to address their own bias.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The amount of snowflakes on this thread is laughable. Imagine getting offended because someone doesn't include themselves as a lady or a gentleman.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
So glad I was born in the early Sixties. Times were different then, a lot of things needed to change, for the betterment of society, but I fear we're now catering for the minorities at ignoring the majority. Life should be reasonably simple, we're making it so difficult people will just retreat in fear and society will become very bland.

Careful. You might offend somebody. Something? :smile:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

I turned 57 on Tuesday, I’m glad I’m not 27 that’s for certain 👍

So the fact that you have raised on a public forum an issue you take offence to doesn't bother you about any confidential clause between yourself (or possibly another company the same as yours) and a client?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
So the fact that you have raised on a public forum an issue you take offence to doesn't bother you about any confidential clause between yourself (or possibly another company the same as yours) and a client?

So, were any names or similar details revealed?

So, I think a generic statement highlighting such a position is fine, in a free world.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

So, I think a generic statement highlighting such a position is fine, in a free world.

Exactly. Free speech.
No problem for anyone with a window licker off spring or people with an understanding of trans to choose another funeral director.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

I wouldn't be so sure, might be quite easy to work it out if you read this, still you appear to be a confident legal expert.

If only Ernest were still around.............

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

No but for the easily identifiable owner of a local funeral directors to post something that was said at a recent funeral to (let's face it) make a pollical point is in really really bad taste, completely unprofessional and deeply disrespectful.

Is he free to do so ? Of course but so are others to call it out.

OP needs to make his mind up. Does he keep his business dealings private and respectful or carve out an alternative career as an internet based pound shop James Whale ?

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The person conducting the ‘service’. It can be someone religious, or humanist or whoever the family choose.

I have doubts this actually happened at all, but that the OP thought it would be a controversial/ fishing thread to drop on Nsc.

WTAF? You’ve changed.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Been to quite a few funerals myself and never known a celebrant to come out with ladies and gentleman. Sounds like someone more at home giving a speech to cronies at a golf club or other male dominated social events. I suppose most of these celebrants see themselves as minor celebrities and can’t say I’ve ever heard a sincere eulogy from one other than a priest. Just unlucky I suppose.
Most would refer to main family by name, family and friends, guess that’s not showbiz enough.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I’d have just said “well, today isn’t about you so goodbye”.
Time and a place.
Having said that, the world is changing in this respect and mostly for the better.
However, I think the OP is lying and shit stirring. So I regret posting now.
What a confused mess I have become.

You think the OP is lying? Just wow.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Picture the scene, Worthing Crematorium post lockdown, attendance restrictions lifted, and one of my favourite funeral celebrants opens our service with,
"Good afternoon Lades and Gentleman, and thank you for attending this service of celebration for the late...…"

After the service has finished, an individual approached the Celebrant and said "I was deeply offended by the term Ladies and Gentleman as I'm non binary and don't identify as either"

Seems most apt……..

Attachments

• B586FD99-F0F4-46C0-8827-1D77355FCAB9.jpeg
    B586FD99-F0F4-46C0-8827-1D77355FCAB9.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 100

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

did the celebrant deck it ...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here