Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some people need to take a chill pill

el punal

Picture the scene, Worthing Crematorium post lockdown, attendance restrictions lifted, and one of my favourite funeral celebrants opens our service with,
"Good afternoon Lades and Gentleman, and thank you for attending this service of celebration for the late...…"

After the service has finished, an individual approached the Celebrant and said "I was deeply offended by the term Ladies and Gentleman as I'm non binary and don't identify as either"

Some people need to get out more :ffsparr:

Try animal, vegetable or mineral. That should cover all the bases. :drink:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen and everything in between, and thank you for attending this service of celebration for the late...…"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s a funeral, maybe cut the person some slack as emotions might be high?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Picture the scene, Worthing Crematorium post lockdown, attendance restrictions lifted, and one of my favourite funeral celebrants opens our service with,
"Good afternoon Lades and Gentleman, and thank you for attending this service of celebration for the late...…"

After the service has finished, an individual approached the Celebrant and said "I was deeply offended by the term Ladies and Gentleman as I'm non binary and don't identify as either"

Some people need to get out more :ffsparr:

I personally take the view that if someone says something that offends me, they either meant it to, in which case I give them a win if I show that it did, or they didn't, in which case I would be a dick for giving them a hard time over it.
However, why not take the critcism on the chin and try to find a fully inclusive method of addressing a crowd of people? I am sure that you would see not offending any of the attendees as being part of your role here, however unsympathetic you are in reality to their sensibilities.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The celebrant needs to get with the times and stop excluding people, IMO.

And telling a mourner to take a chill pill, at a funeral isn't really very nice.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Would the calmer thing to do be get home and start a thread complaining about it?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The celebrant needs to get with the times and stop excluding people, IMO.

And telling a mourner to take a chill pill, at a funeral isn't really very nice.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

thought recognised the username.

The love island fan

case closed your honor

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You could say that the person in question should take a more relaxed and understanding attitude to established use of gendered terms and just accept that not everyone will use language designed to be inclusive of all. I'd probably agree with you.

The person in question could argue that they face a world that is excluding and discriminatory towards them in lots of ways and that they feel it important to raise the issue in order to address this concern. I'd probably agree with them too.

What I am sure of is that raising the issue to strangers on the internet is likely to achieve nothing more than a hardening of the viewpoints of both those who feel strongly that language should change to reflect societal changes and those that feel just as strongly that it shouldn't. It's probably unintentional on your part, but its an action likely to add to divisions rather than to solve anything.

Your title made me smile a bit. Using the phrase 'take a chill pill' when you are so irritated by a small work interaction that you have felt the need to complain to the internet about it is a touch ironic.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What the **** is a 'celebrant'?

The person conducting the ‘service’. It can be someone religious, or humanist or whoever the family choose.

I have doubts this actually happened at all, but that the OP thought it would be a controversial/ fishing thread to drop on Nsc.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Apologies if I have offended anyone, my point was, and apologies if it hadn't come across in the correct way, is that there are far more important things to get upset about than not being addressed as a non binary at a funeral.

IMHO, I don't think the non binary person should have said anything, it wasn't the time or the place, to speak to the Celebrant (non religious minister) like that was totally inappropriate.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Apologies if I have offended anyone, my point was, and apologies if it hadn't come across in the correct way, is that there are far more important things to get upset about than not being addressed as a non binary at a funeral.

IMHO, I don't think the non binary person should have said anything, it wasn't the time or the place, to speak to the Celebrant (non religious minister) like that was totally inappropriate.

Totally agree, all they are indeed doing is creating a scene about them. If they had quietly said to the celebrant that to use those terms excludes x y or z then I'm sure said celebrant would take on board the education. To be offended is pathetic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here