Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Not looking good!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Oh great, another thread on another shite stiring article on how we are all going to die in the next 3 month's because our blood will boil in our veins.

If that's the case, wonder if I'll be able to get a refund on my ST ???

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Those climate activists we're so keen on criminalizing are onto something aren't they?

What worries me is I once read an article about a climate scientist who had given up his work because it was already too late and he thought he might as well enjoy himself more. I think that was almost ten years ago.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Not gonna lie. I thought this thread was about our search for a striker.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
It isn't at all. I think the boiling frog analogy works remarkably well here; we are quite literally chilling in blissful ignorance as our environment heats up around us, until such a time it's too late and it becomes our ultimate demise.

This is the problem with climate change, it's not instant, it's unspectactular. Just think about public and government mentality for a second. Islamist terrorist group commits an atrocity? Let's wipe the ******** out. Russian secret service deploys chemical weapon on British soil? Let's beef up our home security budget (because we can't very well go and wipe 'em out). June in the UK is the hottest ever on record? Nice one - let's crack out the sun cream and get the barbie fired up!

In terms of urgency, it's just not the same is it? Covid was similar in many ways, albeit it condensed into months rather than decades. It took a good ten weeks between news of the outbreak in Wuhan hitting western screens before shit really began to hit the fan and people realised "uh oh, this is bad...". There was a collective shrug of the shoulders - "Yeah, it could be nasty that, but it'll probably be alright. Same again, lads?".

I'm not clever enough to know whether we're already past the tipping point, but either way there needs to be a massive, collective global effort to have the worlds leaders and their people wake up to the monumental turd we've got in the mail. People need to wake the f**k up, myself included, as I sit here with a diesel SUV sat on my driveway.

The story linked above is deeply disconcerting, but is no higher up The Guardian homepage than Jack Grealish's £100m move to Man City. I wonder which story will have the greatest significance on our lives over the course of the next 10, 20 or 30 years? :glare:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Not gonna lie. I thought this thread was about our search for a striker.

I thought it was about Duffy and Katie Price again.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
It isn't at all. I think the boiling frog analogy works remarkably well here; we are quite literally chilling in blissful ignorance as our environment heats up around us, until such a time it's too late and it becomes our ultimate demise.

This is the problem with climate change, it's not instant, it's unspectactular. Just think about public and government mentality for a second. Islamist terrorist group commits an atrocity? Let's wipe the ******** out. Russian secret service deploys chemical weapon on British soil? Let's beef up our home security budget (because we can't very well go and wipe 'em out). June in the UK is the hottest ever on record? Nice one - let's crack out the sun cream and get the barbie fired up!

In terms of urgency, it's just not the same is it? Covid was similar in many ways, albeit it condensed into months rather than decades. It took a good ten weeks between news of the outbreak in Wuhan hitting western screens before shit really began to hit the fan and people realised "uh oh, this is bad...". There was a collective shrug of the shoulders - "Yeah, it could be nasty that, but it'll probably be alright. Same again, lads?".

I'm not clever enough to know whether we're already past the tipping point, but either way there needs to be a massive, collective global effort to have the worlds leaders and their people wake up to the monumental turd we've got in the mail. People need to wake the f**k up, myself included, as I sit here with a diesel SUV sat on my driveway.

The story linked above is deeply disconcerting, but is no higher up The Guardian homepage than Jack Grealish's £100m move to Man City. I wonder which story will have the greatest significance on our lives over the course of the next 10, 20 or 30 years? :glare:

To be fair, it was the lead story in the Guardian earlier.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The covid pandemic is going to seem like a walk in the park compared to what's about to happen.

Quite.

My next remark will most likely take this thread straight to the Bear Pit but…

Those complaining about the numbers of migrants coming to this country haven’t seen a thing yet. Large chunks of this planet are likely to become inhospitable to sustaining human life in its current form. Residents of those areas will heading to more temperate zones in huge numbers.

This is just the beginning and it terrifies me. Not the migrants. The unraveling of the climate as we know it and the resultant societal upheaval.

I expect the Green Party will become a real force in politics once the penny collectively drops and it’s actually far too late for them to do anything.

Pass me another beer. I’ve depressed myself.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
What a crap thread. No idea what it's about and the first post is just a link.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I expect the Green Party will become a real force in politics once the penny collectively drops and it’s actually far too late for them to do anything.

the green movement has already been succesful with a large amount of policy change. we've already done a great deal to reduce emissions directly and continue to. this story is typical of group talking up their own research and catasrophising, as shown by stating it could be decades to hundreds of years away. i.e. they dont really know, they have a model that something might be possible, given a extreme set of variables.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
"We* must act now to save the planet !"

Obviously not me personally, by "we" I mean everyone else; I still want to eat meat every day, drive a big car and have two foreign holidays a year and anyway the real problem is some brown people in a leaky dinghy.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
the green movement has already been succesful with a large amount of policy change. we've already done a great deal to reduce emissions directly and continue to. this story is typical of group talking up their own research and catasrophising, as shown by stating it could be decades to hundreds of years away. i.e. they dont really know, they have a model that something might be possible, given a extreme set of variables.
We here in western and northern Europe can be as ecologically alert as we like,... unless there is a shift from the heavily populated and industrialised nations in Asia and the sub continent, our relatively small lifestyle adjustments have little or no effect on the global picture.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Perhaps the best thing to do about the impending collapse of the world's eco system as we know about it, is to moan about people who are concerned! Lucky the world has chosen a bunch of right wing self serving populists to solve the crises, because I'm sure Boris, Modi, Putin, Bolsanaro, Erdogan etc will cut corporate taxes to save the world!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just been perfectly well explained on Radio 4 by the actual scientists that understand it. And guess what? Firstly it's based on modelling and secondly the Guardian is mis-reporting the science in order to scare people.

The Gulf Stream is not about to collapse as they so dramatically state. The Gulf Stream is a wind pattern in the atmosphere that will remain. However, changes to AMOC may see it shift southwards fairly permanently. IF this happens then the UK will see a reduction in temperature and more "beast from the East" type events, countries south of us will get more warm rain. But the worrying kicker will be far more droughts in Africa similar to the 1980s.

Let's face it, none of the above is good but it is NOT the collapse of the Gulf Stream either. Nor can they say if it will happen or when. Once again non-scientific journalists mis-report science for political gain. On a personal note, I'm a died in the wool Guardianista but I've not read it since their early Covid reporting and feel far better for it.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Just been perfectly well explained on Radio 4 by the actual scientists that understand it. And guess what? Firstly it's based on modelling and secondly the Guardian is mis-reporting the science in order to scare people.

The Gulf Stream is not about to collapse as they so dramatically state. The Gulf Stream is a wind pattern in the atmosphere that will remain. However, changes to AMOC may see it shift southwards fairly permanently. IF this happens then the UK will see a reduction in temperature and more "beast from the East" type events, countries south of us will get more warm rain. But the worrying kicker will be far more droughts in Africa similar to the 1980s.

Let's face it, none of the above is good but it is NOT the collapse of the Gulf Stream either. Nor can they say if it will happen or when. Once again non-scientific journalists mis-report science for political gain. On a personal note, I'm a died in the wool Guardianista but I've not read it since their early Covid reporting and feel far better for it.

I totally agree. Here is what the Met Office says:

'It is likely, based on current climate models, that the AMOC will weaken over the coming century, but a collapse of the
AMOC before 2100 is thought to be very unlikely.'

Here's the link to the Met Office research.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binari...her/learn-about/climate/deliverables/amoc.pdf

Note that twice in a few days, the Guardian have published sensationalist articles, specifically designed to put the fear of God up people.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We here in western and northern Europe can be as ecologically alert as we like,... unless there is a shift from the heavily populated and industrialised nations in Asia and the sub continent, our relatively small lifestyle adjustments have little or no effect on the global picture.

I think you are wrong.

Take tea bags that traditionally had a tiny plastic content to them. The biggest manufacturers kept on producing, UNTIL individual small lifestyle adjustments shifted sales to non-plastic content tea bags. As soon as that happened, at the expense of ££millions, the big manufacturers changed their factories. Big change through individual choice.

And this is how the individual and small lifestyle changes do work. If you stop doing X, or buying Y in sufficient numbers, then they have to change. If we as individuals show we want change, our governments, looking for our votes will change too. It absolutely comes down to individual choices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here