Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tyrone Mings Quick Out Of The Traps......

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
... in this post-Biles era.

'Mental Health' set to replace VAR as the EPL issue of the upcoming season.

Didn't it used to be called what it was? IE the pressure that naturally comes with having to perform at the level of 'elite' sport that pays your million quid wage?

Like Biles, maybe the simple solution is just to switch off your twitter feed?

You’re normally a good poster.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I still can't get my head around people that take this angle. If a player has a niggling injury, they spend time out get it treated until fit. But if it is a 'mental' thing apparently they should just man up and crack on with it. I can't see any difference between the 2.

I am very sure that even Brighton have had players who have struggled with mental health but of course it was just an injury that kept that out for a long time. Why not just be honest?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Only regret I've got about this thread is not starting it 48 hours earlier. EPL starlets were clearly going to be falling over themselves to follow the trend, just as soon as Biles made it acceptable to their agents and media handlers to do so. Expect far more of the same BS to follow as soon as the little multi-millionaire darlings feel a little bit picked on. Court social media? Get social media. Boo f*cking hoo

And that Ben Stokes too eh? What a snowflake!

Or to be serious - has your account been hacked by FG or Kurt Angle? I understand the point you're making that SOME people MAY decide to use 'Mental Health' as a cynical new way of garnering support and sympathy but jeez. And Mings cops a fair amount of online abuse for simply being a good rather than a great footballer, so I'm more than prepared to believe that he's genuine.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And that Ben Stokes too eh? What a snowflake!

Or to be serious - has your account been hacked by FG or Kurt Angle? I understand the point you're making that SOME people MAY decide to use 'Mental Health' as a cynical new way of garnering support and sympathy but jeez. And Mings cops a fair amount of online abuse for simply being a good rather than a great footballer, so I'm more than prepared to believe that he's genuine.

Post-Biles, EPL players and their representatives will be falling over themselves to use THAT card when it best suits them. Nothing surer :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Mental health is the big leveller. Issues can affect the highest in society or the poorest. Saying someone is too privileged to be affected by mental health is akin to saying someone is too privileged to break their leg.

I work with female victims of sexual abuse, both in childhood and adulthood who have turned to substance abuse and have mental health issues, known as complex needs.
They come from many differing backgrounds. Some from very wealthy families. Some from very poor families. Some middle class etc. The one thing they all have in common is that you wouldn’t have a clue about their background on first meeting them. When I’m doing chest compressions on an intentional overdose at 3am, I have never stopped to question if she’s faking it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
... in this post-Biles era.

'Mental Health' set to replace VAR as the EPL issue of the upcoming season.

Didn't it used to be called what it was? IE the pressure that naturally comes with having to perform at the level of 'elite' sport that pays your million quid wage?

Like Biles, maybe the simple solution is just to switch off your twitter feed?

It didn't start with Biles and Mings isn't the latest, not sure why you're picking on them specifically. Naomi Osaka pulled out of the recent French Open and Wimbledon tournaments for similar reasons, and cricket has a long history of players struggling with the mental side of things, from Trescothick and Michael Yardy to Trott and most recently, Ben Stokes. David Bairstow killed himself. Golfer Thomas Bjorn described his mental health battles in his book. Michael Phelps had well documented battles with depression and suicidal thoughts. So did Paul Gascoigne. Other footballers who have described their battles with depression include Buffon, Aaron Lennon, Iniesta, Michael Carrick, Danny Rose and many less well-known players. Robert Enke and Gary Speed both committed suicide, Clarke Carlisle attempted it.

Elite-level sport clearly places huge pressures on individuals, mental toughness is seen as a reason some succeed and others fail. But it appears many people simply bottled up the stresses and suffered from it. Its become OK to talk about it, so they are. Whether it removes the stesses or not, who knows. But always good to talk. The idea that some want to chant abuse at players about their mental health, or think the EPL supporting players talking about it is 'pathetic', shows a severe lack of empathy for our fellow man.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Whilst the tone and context of the OP is clearly uncalled for and dim witted, upon reading what Mings said it does appear that basically he’s saying he had issues because he was the only name on the team sheet that wasn’t certain and reading people’s comments etc, which obviously could have affected him negatively, but it does appear very thin skinned for a top level footballer, given some of the vitriol that goes around.

If that’s how he felt, that’s how he felt, it’s obviously real enough for him to feel the need to publicly admit it which is a good thing, but football will forever be a game of opinions and you won’t stop fans expressing their opinions online.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Fantastic break, thanks. Forgot all about work and domestic stuff.

Home soon, all good … we got negative pcr test results (a requirement 72 hours before returning to the UK).

Any plans for a holiday yourself?

I’ve given up worrying about it for this year, couple of decent ones next year[emoji106]

Safe trip back mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
If you can’t stand the heat , get out off the kitchen

It's just not that simple though, is it?

Many who 'can't stand the heat' feel that 'getting out of the kitchen' will let a lot of people down and put the needs of others (friends/family, team mates, manager, fans, agent...) before their own. Listening to people play down the importance of mental health makes it worse - if all you hear is people saying "look how much money they have/how successful they are - life must be great" or "they have no reason to have mental health issues - I wish I was them, I wouldn't complain", it's hard not to think that maybe you shouldn't be getting help, or that you could just 'man up' or bury your head in the sand. It can leave people thinking that they shouldn't be giving up a successful career that millions of people would swap their lives for, just because of some 'insignificant' mental health issues... So they don't. It gets worse. Then they snap.

Some are lucky to get help. Some suffer enough to take their own life.

These recent stories with Simone Biles and Ben Stokes are brilliant in terms of the debate it provokes - hopefully more people will understand the underlying issues and keep their unhelpful opinions to themselves.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The fact you are a millionaire sportsperson doesn't stop you having mental health issues. In fact it probably brings a whole set of challenges that most of us can't comprehend, namely if we make a mistake a work we don't have opposition fans on our backs and s world-wide TV audience.

Problem is that all of us have a professional life and we are subject to praise and criticism in what we do as per of our jobs. Again for most of us this involves a quarterly appraisal and doesn't make it to the back page of the daily papers. So where does fair criticism start? Do I have to say I like the last K-Pop album that came out so as not to hurt their feelings? Is it wrong to suggest Ben White, errr sorry, Adam Webster should be in the England team ahead of Tyrone Mings?

For me the problem starts, and you see it enough on here, when professional criticism starts becoming personal. Beckham made a mistake getting sent off in he 98 World Cup but he certainly didn't deserve effigies of him being strung up outside Upton Park.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here