Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Adam Webster - our next England centre back

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think keeping Webster had to be a bigger priority than keeping White. Delighted we've got him tied down to a new 5 year contract, I think it suits both him and the club. Hopefully he'll be partnering Dunk for the next 5 years in the Premier League and they'll go down as the best CB pairing we've ever had. Especially considering they're both Sussex boys.

Would be lovely but if Webster continues to develop they way he has, he will be the best English CB in a year and then we may well see another £50m move somewhere.

What does progressive distance carried mean?

Is it how far he runs with the ball?

How far he runs with the ball towards the opposition goal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
skysports-adam-webster-brighton_5465737.jpg

Adam Webster PRETENDS to sign (a blank piece of paper).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe the club believes in him to the extent where they actually let him write his own contract.

Or he just signs it, and the club then writes whatever they want.

I suspect this may be how the SEGW ended up shackled to the thieving charlatans up the road.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Runs forward I assume.
Probably more distance covered by other players going sideways/backwards
Yep - it also figures that (some) defenders are gonna eat up more ground per 90 mins than traditional wingers/ball-carriers given they naturally have more space in front of them in which to do so. Webster's ability in this regard plus our playing style allowing him such license apparently combine well enough to have him right up there!

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Yep - it also figures that (some) defenders are gonna eat up more ground per 90 mins than traditional wingers/ball-carriers given they naturally have more space in front of them in which to do so. Webster's ability in this regard plus our playing style allowing him such license apparently combine well enough to have him right up there!
He's better than White ATM and is far better in the air than Ben White will ever be IMHO.:clap2:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Great news.

After a bit of a shaky first season at times, I thought he was excellent last season, and arguably our best CB in terms of season long consistency.

Currently one of my favourite players......

Very strong on the ball, excellent reader of the game. Should be in the England squad.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Would be lovely but if Webster continues to develop they way he has, he will be the best English CB in a year and then we may well see another £50m move somewhere.

How far he runs with the ball towards the opposition goal.

He would have to work under Bielsa for that to happen as Brighton couldn't have anything to do with progressing a player.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I agree he was superb - he was magnificent all season really and it's harsh on him that he wasn't POTS. I certainly would never use the word "struggled" to describe him last season, first season definitely. But not last season. If the man himself feels more confident from the left of a three, then fair enough - but that's not how he appears to me. I have been wrong before, though!

He was poor for about a month in his first season when he predominantly played as the right CB in a back four, with Dunk on the left.
Last season, he predominantly played LCB in a back three or five, so something appears wrong with your analysis

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He was poor for about a month in his first season when he predominantly played as the right CB in a back four, with Dunk on the left.
Last season, he predominantly played LCB in a back three or five, so something appears wrong with your analysis

Or there's something wrong with yours. He played that whole first season on the right of a pair with Dunk, but was only "poor" for "about a month". Then he was pretty good for the rest of the season?

The man's a good player. Play him at left back and he'd be a good player - the man's going to be good anywhere you play him but it doesn't mean he'd be at his best. Personally, I got the impression he was moved to accommodate where White would best fit in the team.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Or there's something wrong with yours. He played that whole first season on the right of a pair with Dunk, but was only "poor" for "about a month". Then he was pretty good for the rest of the season?

The man's a good player. Play him at left back and he'd be a good player - the man's going to be good anywhere you play him but it doesn't mean he'd be at his best. Personally, I got the impression he was moved to accommodate where White would best fit in the team.

I believe he has spent most of his career playing on the left of a pair but that is also Dunk's favoured side. He switched to LCB so Dunk could be the centre of the three which was a really good balance of skill set and ability between the three

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think this is at least the third time I've posted this tweet on NSC...

[tweet]1222877821569261568[/tweet]

What that doesn't have a go at explaining is total distance the ball traveled, how accurate the pass was, what the circumstances were when the pass was made, etc. It stands to reason that playing on the left side you'll inevitably play left footed passes. That stat is interesting but not surprising and without proper context it's pretty meaningless. Especially as nobody is arguing he isn't a good player from the left.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

He played left CB at Bristol City. I agree with the other contributions to this thread

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here