Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Adam Webster - our next England centre back

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Did you see Tiago Silvas own goal bottom corner stunner? Every defender scores them even the most experienced 39 year olds.
They all do it yes, but Thiago Silva has more credit in the bank than Webby

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
You’re right of course. But plenty of other players further forward are culpable of not really busting a gut to step them attacking. Mitoma lost his man easily, Adingra dispossessed.
I agree, but that's not the point of this thread. Ultimately, the own goal shouldn't really have had much bearing on the outcome of the game. We should have been 2/3/4 goals ahead by that point and then it doesn't matter the manner we concede the customary goal per game. I'm not suggesting Webster is at fault for costing us the win, that's very rarely the case in such a team game but I do think it's fair to point out the weaknesses in Webster's game and it did cost us the goal on Sunday.

In Webster's defence, this current set of tactics doesn't suit his game. It was a problem Shane Duffy had when Potter came in and I feel like Webster now is more exposed by the RDZ tactics and he hasn't had a whole lot of matches to get used to the system or what's expected of him. He has had a year of training and watching the games, however. I think it would be fair to argue he should be better suited to it than he seems to be but it is also fair to say he has always seemed to need a run of games to get up to speed and be playing at his best. What really disappoints me with Webster is how he's no longer a threat when we're attacking set pieces. He chipped in with so many crucial goals in his early days but I no longer have any faith in him in either box.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Regarding the idea of selling him in January or over the summer, given the main issues seem to be our rotation and him being less suited to our tactics, it feels self harming to get rid of a good player when his career should last much longer than De Zerbi's time at the club.
Agree with this. See also Robert Sanchez.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not suggesting Webster is at fault for costing us the win, that's very rarely the case in such a team game but I do think it's fair to point out the weaknesses in Webster's game and it did cost us the goal on Sunday.
All defenders make occasional individual mistakes. There's little point only considering the ones that actually lead to a goal, when evaluating how players are faring.

For example, JPVH was great at Ajax - really stepped up - but he made a single huge mistake, when the game was in the balance, which because Ajax fluffed it, never got talked about at all.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
All defenders make occasional individual mistakes. There's little point only considering the ones that actually lead to a goal, when evaluating how players are faring.

For example, JPVH was great at Ajax - really stepped up - but he made a single huge mistake, when the game was in the balance, which because Ajax fluffed it, never got talked about at all.
Well yes, and also against Sheff Utd, Van Hecke passed across our box giving their striker a open goal (ok with not much time to react) with his head after a few minutes.

The fella missed, it's largely forgotten about. JP went on to have another good game.

I always think to form a proper opinion about who played well and badly, you need to watch the whole game again, pausing and rewinding for the crucial bits ... which i'm not going to do for the Sheff Utd game ..... I don't hate myself.

But football being so fast moving, it's very easy for someone to make a big error or do something good, which you notice, but then 5 seconds later something even more noteworthy happens, so you don't process the first thing

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What should we have done with Sanchez? Not accepted a bid for a player who didn't want to sit on the bench?
I'd have loaned him out. Under 99% of football manager's tactical systems Sanchez would be the best keeper at the club. He's not that under RDZ's system, but given that RDZ will not be here for a decade I would have liked to have had him available for the next manager.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I don't think he's kept for ability alone although that's OK for 4th choice at our level or 3rd lower down league. His experience and fact he's been here settled is very important in one of our back-ups. Dunk, a couple young stars and him is a fine 4 with veltman/braziliantank able to flex in. We just need that one more young talent.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I'd have loaned him out. Under 99% of football manager's tactical systems Sanchez would be the best keeper at the club. He's not that under RDZ's system, but given that RDZ will not be here for a decade I would have liked to have had him available for the next manager.
I doubt Sanchez would have gone along with that... unless a loan to a top 6.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I agree, but that's not the point of this thread. Ultimately, the own goal shouldn't really have had much bearing on the outcome of the game. We should have been 2/3/4 goals ahead by that point and then it doesn't matter the manner we concede the customary goal per game. I'm not suggesting Webster is at fault for costing us the win, that's very rarely the case in such a team game but I do think it's fair to point out the weaknesses in Webster's game and it did cost us the goal on Sunday.

In Webster's defence, this current set of tactics doesn't suit his game. It was a problem Shane Duffy had when Potter came in and I feel like Webster now is more exposed by the RDZ tactics and he hasn't had a whole lot of matches to get used to the system or what's expected of him. He has had a year of training and watching the games, however. I think it would be fair to argue he should be better suited to it than he seems to be but it is also fair to say he has always seemed to need a run of games to get up to speed and be playing at his best. What really disappoints me with Webster is how he's no longer a threat when we're attacking set pieces. He chipped in with so many crucial goals in his early days but I no longer have any faith in him in either box.
Possibly also a confidence issue knowing he's not first choice to play alongside Dunky 🤔

Why would he have accepted a loan move any more than accepting being on the bench, when he knew Chelsea were in for a permanent move for him and a bumper pay day? I think you're fighting a lost battle there

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

and his pass to give the SUFC forward a free header in the first 2 minutes. But he did a lot of good things as well as did Webster.

In the scheme of things he might not be the right player now but don't think he should be blamed for not winning that's down to us not being clinical enough in both the build up (why do 7 passes when 4 would do it) and our finishing.

What I would say in Webster's defence is he has (had?) the ability to take the ball forward and in some games maybe we should use that asset a bit more.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Would you agree that Webster's 'body shape' was extremely similar to the JPvH? (JPvH is the only player to compare Webster with, because they're the two that are deepest and inside the outline of the goalframe.)
If not, how is it that they differ?
And how should Webster (and, potentially, JPvH) have shifted their body shape?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I doubt Sanchez would have gone along with that... unless a loan to a top 6.
It would have been a good idea - and who knows? Perhaps we tried, but as you say he might well have not gone along with it anyway. Regardless, once Chelsea were in for him (as another poster has suggested) with undoubtedly a substantial pay rise and the chance to work with a GK coach he admired and who had mentored him from an early age rather than with a GK coach and manager he'd obviously fallen out with, the option of a loan was dead in the water.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It would have been a good idea - and who knows? Perhaps we tried, but as you say he might well have not gone along with it anyway. Regardless, once Chelsea were in for him (as another poster has suggested) with undoubtedly a substantial pay rise and the chance to work with a GK coach he admired and who had mentored him from an early age rather than with a GK coach and manager he'd obviously fallen out with, the option of a loan was dead in the water.
Exactly. It was a dream move for him.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
and his pass to give the SUFC forward a free header in the first 2 minutes. But he did a lot of good things as well as did Webster.

In the scheme of things he might not be the right player now but don't think he should be blamed for not winning that's down to us not being clinical enough in both the build up (why do 7 passes when 4 would do it) and our finishing.

What I would say in Webster's defence is he has (had?) the ability to take the ball forward and in some games maybe we should use that asset a bit more.
Love Webby but particularly recently I don't remember anything positive come from him taking it forward. It tends to be a short or panicked misplaced pass, leaving a big old CB lumbering back to his position. Doesn't compare well to Dunk's accurate long passes while staying in position

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
To be honest, as with most, he was fine verging on really good until the sending off. We lost our heads for about 10-15 mins after than and were really rattled. In those 15 mins, we went from a 7.5/1o team performance (on top but lacking cutting edge), to a 3/10 team (chasing shadows, giving the ball away cheaply and losing position and composure) and then regained it a bit to a 6/10 (solid and organising but lacking much threat, understandably).

As I say though, mistakes crept in for everyone after the sending off. Not sure why Webster is the only one (other than scapegoat-du-jour Buonanotte) that's getting pelters.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
To be honest, as with most, he was fine verging on really good until the sending off. We lost our heads for about 10-15 mins after than and were really rattled. In those 15 mins, we went from a 7.5/1o team performance (on top but lacking cutting edge), to a 3/10 team (chasing shadows, giving the ball away cheaply and losing position and composure) and then regained it a bit to a 6/10 (solid and organising but lacking much threat, understandably).

As I say though, mistakes crept in for everyone after the sending off. Not sure why Webster is the only one (other than scapegoat-du-jour Buonanotte) that's getting pelters.
Yep thought Webster was generally fine apart from that 10 minutes where everyone lost organisation/focus.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Yes, he was a surprise weapon in that department, and effective. Seems that it's no longer required or encouraged.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here