Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Russ Martin - Swansea

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Martin taking over at Swansea it seems.

Given the possession play he used at MK and being a local, I would guess he would be one of the names of possible candidates should GP leave in next couple of years.

He's got a big job on his hands given they had so many loans last season.

Hope he does OK, but not a big fan of Swansea so not too well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Useless fact, he's my Mrs's cousin.

Jul 25, 2021
Dunk and Martin, both Varndean school pupils.

Impressive for a school not that big in a city which barely produces top flight footballers.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Dunk and Martin, both Varndean school pupils.

Impressive for a school not that big in a city which barely produces top flight footballers.

Darren Freeman was at Varndean, I used to have to mark him at football training when they mixed year groups, couldn't get near him most of the time.

Jul 25, 2021
Darren Freeman was at Varndean, I used to have to mark him at football training when they mixed year groups, couldn't get near him most of the time.

Makes you realise how good a professional footballer needs to be when Darren Freeman probably looked outstanding at school level.

My only claim to playing with anyone, was someone called Ryan Smith who had a few appearances for Arsenal. Played for Palace, Derby, Southampton and a few others as well and also being capped for England at youth level. I lost all hope of being a footballer when I played with him. Unbelievable talent.

Back to Russell Martin, not sure if this is true but I was told Brighton did actually offer him a contract at 16 (2002) but he chose to follow through with his education and went onto BHASVIC college instead. If so, shows he clearly has a sensible and mature mentality, especially at 16. Could be a very good manager. Hope this all goes well for him.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Makes you realise how good a professional footballer needs to be when Darren Freeman probably looked outstanding at school level.

My only claim to playing with anyone, was someone called Ryan Smith who had a few appearances for Arsenal. Played for Palace, Derby, Southampton and a few others as well and also being capped for England at youth level. I lost all hope of being a footballer when I played with him. Unbelievable talent.

Back to Russell Martin, not sure if this is true but I was told Brighton did actually offer him a contract at 16 (2002) but he chose to follow through with his education and went onto BHASVIC college instead. If so, shows he clearly has a sensible and mature mentality, especially at 16. Could be a very good manager. Hope this all goes well for him.

Darren was very good but wasn’t the stand out member of his year group. There was another lad, his name escapes me at the moment, who was on Brighton’s books back then and was head and shoulders above everyone else but he didn’t have the correct attitude to make it as a pro and was released at the age of 16 or 18 I think. Another lad at Varndean at the same time as me played a reserve game in goal as part of a trial but never got taken on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here