Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Europa Conference League

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Tottenham are one of six British teams awaiting the draw for the inaugural Europa Conference League play-offs.

The north London club reached the final qualifying round after finishing seventh in the Premier League.

Matches will be played on Thursdays, alongside the Europa League, and the final will be held in Tirana, Albania on 25 May. The winner will qualify for the following season's Europa League, providing they haven't qualified for the Champions League through their domestic competition."

So we only need to finish seventh to make it into a competition around Europe....

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Tottenham are one of six British teams awaiting the draw for the inaugural Europa Conference League play-offs.

The north London club reached the final qualifying round after finishing seventh in the Premier League.

Matches will be played on Thursdays, alongside the Europa League, and the final will be held in Tirana, Albania on 25 May. The winner will qualify for the following season's Europa League, providing they haven't qualified for the Champions League through their domestic competition."

So we only need to finish seventh to make it into a competition around Europe....

A bit like not coming last in the 1500 meters on Sports Day. Very well done Spurs (pats them on the head).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another pointless competition.

It is a pointless competition for England, Spain, Germany et al, it's a competition that gets in the way of Top 6.

But I doubt everyone else looks at it that way, the problem being those countries need 'us' to validate the competition.
I bet they couldn't believe their luck when Spurs went all Spursy.

Any competition finishing in Chinese funded Albania probably isn't for 'us'.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Brighton qualified, it certainly wouldn't be pointless for me. Imagine an away day in Sarajevo :clap2:

We'll Burnley it and go out to Carmarthen FC or something.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I wonder if you’ll still think that if we ever qualified :wink:

If Brighton qualified, it certainly wouldn't be pointless for me. Imagine an away day in Sarajevo :clap2:

Winning it means a spot in the Europa league.

If Brighton ever managed to get Into the European Conference I doubt our Tony would say its pointless.

I am a Brighton fan, of course I would be interested if we were in it. Doesn't change the fact that it is all about the $$$ and just another way to try to reward under-achievers, like Spurs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They should have brought back the cup winners cup instead.

Don’t most of the clubs that win the equivalent of the FA Cup already qualify for the Champion’s League?

How about calling it the Cup Losers Cup instead, as it will either be the losers of the final or the semi final who will be competing? :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am a Brighton fan, of course I would be interested if we were in it. Doesn't change the fact that it is all about the $$$ and just another way to try to reward under-achievers, like Spurs.
It's not though, if anything it punishes Spurs (happy days) while rewarding teams from nothing countries like Sweden who'll never amount to anything in the current set up.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don’t most of the clubs that win the equivalent of the FA Cup already qualify for the Champion’s League?

How about calling it the Cup Losers Cup instead, as it will either be the losers of the final or the semi final who will be competing? :lolol:
FA Cup winners go into the Europa League, I think. Probably our best chance of getting into Europe - but I wouldn't say no to 7th.place and the Europa Conference!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Looking forward to 2 years time when they introduce the 4th European Competition : The European 'not quite there yet' Cup for teams finishing 8th to 12th.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
FA Cup winners go into the Europa League, I think. Probably our best chance of getting into Europe - but I wouldn't say no to 7th.place and the Europa Conference!

Our Europa League places go to the FA Cup winners and 5th place in the PL. As Leicester won the Fa Cup and finished 5th then the other place went to the 6th placed side (West Ham).

The Conference place goes to the winners of the League Cup, as Man City won that competition yet again then this season it went to the highest league place that hadn’t already qualified for a European competition (Spurs in 7th). Knowing our luck we’d finish 7th and miss out on Europe as someone like Watford won the league cup in the same season.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
On the grounds I love obscure football competitions and want to see Brighton in Europe, I am in.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Another pointless competition.

It may seem pointless in England but it's been welcomed by the smaller footballing nations across Europe as it gives their clubs a realistic chance of winning a European trophy. From memory, I think it's also removed the ridiculous round of 32 from the Europa League so it should improve the quality of that competition.

The slating of the continental competitions beneath the Champions League seems to be a particularly English perspective. That opinion would carry a lot more weight if our clubs actually won these supposedly 'easy' competitions every year!

Personally, I'd love to get back to the old days of a knockout cup for Champions only - but it's never going to happen. And there did used to be 3 European trophies back then so, in that sense, it's nothing new.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It may seem pointless in England but it's been welcomed by the smaller footballing nations across Europe as it gives their clubs a realistic chance of winning a European trophy. From memory, I think it's also removed the ridiculous round of 32 from the Europa League so it should improve the quality of that competition.

The slating of the continental competitions beneath the Champions League seems to be a particularly English perspective. That opinion would carry a lot more weight if our clubs actually won these supposedly 'easy' competitions every year!

Personally, I'd love to get back to the old days of a knockout cup for Champions only - but it's never going to happen. And there did used to be 3 European trophies back then so, in that sense, it's nothing new.

They may have got rid of the round of 32 in the Europa League but they've introduced a knockout qualifying round where the group runners up and the third place teams from the Champions League group stage will play off to face the Europa League group winners in the round of 16, instead of those 3rd place teams going straight into the last 32 as used to happen.

The same format will apply in the conference league with the third placed teams in the Europa League group stage dropping into the Conference league to play off against those teams placing second in the group stage with the winners going on to meet the group winners in the round of 16.

Last edited:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
It's not though, if anything it punishes Spurs (happy days) while rewarding teams from nothing countries like Sweden who'll never amount to anything in the current set up.

Prior to the tv money every team that won a national championship went into the European Cup - the cup winners into the Cup Winners Cup and the runners-up into the UEFA Cup - everybody got a crack at playing in the competitions. Now the big leagues get 3/4 teams in the Champions League (which is really the champions and the runners-up and others leagues) while the smaller countries have to play a series of play-offs to get weeded out. Same with the Europa League. It is all about making sure that the big teams get most of the money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here