Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Terry Cooper RIP

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A member of the Leeds United that were successful under Revie and an England left back has died at the age of 77.

RIP

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The left back who pretty much invented the idea of a wingback. For nearly half a season (I think the one after they won the League), before he was injured he was absolutely breathtakingly good - absolutely enthralling to watch, whether you liked Leeds or not.
Thanks for those memories. RIP (and unlike some of his team mates, he wasn't dirty either).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was a Leeds fan age 11-15, during the Revie peak 69-73 and Cooper was magic.

RIP

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lorimer, Hunter, Cherry, Big Jack Charlton, Mick Bates and now Cooper all gone in the last year or so. Leeds legends dropping like flies.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lorimer, Hunter, Cherry, Big Jack Charlton, Mick Bates and now Cooper all gone in the last year or so. Leeds legends dropping like flies.

'Flies' is a bit disrespectful though. I prefer old men, snatched by the angel of death, having entertained us. Richly. RIP. :bowdown:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Sprake and Madeley too - they've had a lot of losses in the last few years

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I missed this. One of the finest left backs l've ever had the pleasure of seeing play. Wouldn't have been out of place playing in today's modern defensive systems either, as Graham Potter loves his wing backs!

R.I.P. Terry, it was a pleasure and a priviege to see you play.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
The left back who pretty much invented the idea of a wingback. For nearly half a season (I think the one after they won the League), before he was injured he was absolutely breathtakingly good - absolutely enthralling to watch, whether you liked Leeds or not.
Thanks for those memories. RIP (and unlike some of his team mates, he wasn't dirty either).

Very sad at his passing and you’re absolutely right - he was probably the first wing back, scoring quite a few goals from long range and linked up so well with Eddie Gray on the left.

Not many of that great team still survive - Gray, Clarke, Madely, Jones?

ttgg

Aug 6, 2020
Very sad at his passing and you’re absolutely right - he was probably the first wing back, scoring quite a few goals from long range and linked up so well with Eddie Gray on the left.

Not many of that great team still survive - Gray, Clarke, Madely, Jones?

Paul Madeley died in 2018.

Along with the others you mention Paul Reaney and Johnny Giles are still alive

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Cooper was arguably one of the group of English world class players in the Mexico 1970 squad, perceived to the strongest ever England group of players, but a serious injury shortly after almost certainly cost him 50 plus caps, and a long successful career. Whilst he did come back Revie soon shipped him out to Middlesborough.

With the current England captain apparently on strike, the irony is not lost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here