Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Plantar Faciitis

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Having just seen the thread on Gout ....

... does anyone have experience of fixing Plantar Faciitis?

I've got it in both feet and it's ruining my golf, and general walking about and standing ....
any practical advice great fully received.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Quite a few threads on this over the years. Trying searching the forum I am sure it will show up lots of info.

I had it and found that a night splint really worked for me, couple it with rolling your foot on a golf ball on the floor or a pop bottle with frozen water.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Primarily, get the right footwear/inner soles and secondary, plenty of massage. They are the words of my wife who had PF a couple of years ago. From my memory it took a few months to resolve.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Walking without shoes and slippers. No, don’t adjust your screen, you read that correctly. Being barefoot is really good for you and helps strengthen the muscles in your foot and lower legs. I transitioned into minimalist footwear a few years ago after suffering running injuries (shin splints and planter fasciitis) and haven’t had any issues since. Digressing slightly, but the book ‘Born to Run’ explores how the author, suffering from planter fasciitis himself, begins to transition away from all the unnecessary padding and confinement of modern shoes to a more natural way of running and walking. It may sound like a load of hippy nonsense but it worked for me!

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I remember in one of the other threads lots of recommendations about shoes. I'll buck the trend and say what worked for me was a handful of sessions with a physio looking at biomechamics and how muscles connect and interact and pull things in different directions. Fixed knee and hip problems as well as plantar fasciitis for me (as long as I remember 5 mins of exercises a day). I now run in zero-drop shoes as recommended by the physio to allow a natural muscular-skeletal response to changes in the terrain, and have no issues at all.

Physio approached trainers with a similar view to [MENTION=25211]midnight_rendezvous[/MENTION] and definitely changed my mind and convinced me.

White Fan man

Oct 25, 2020

I've got it in both feet and it's ruining my golf, and general walking about and standing ....

Definitely shoes can cause it and good shoes can help fix it.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)

Have a friend who had it. Never knew. Then another friend got it and in discussion found that my original friend recommended rolling on a smallish hard cylinder, She said it got rid of hers. Recommended to my other friend, and it helped get rid of his.

The right inner soles, and massage (golf ball or cylinder) would seem to help.

🤞

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I had it for a few months then realised that a particular pair of trainers were aggravating the condition.
I stopped wearing that particular pair and it got better all on its own over a short period of time.
Hope you get it sorted quickly. Both feet, ouch! Just one on its own is enough of a pain in the arch.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Head over to the Official Running Thread - loads of sufferers on there, sadly...

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm

Suffered with it for ages, ended up taking a punt on some quite expensive (or so they seemed at the time) adjustable arch supports for my shoes.
Absolutely bollocksed now but remind me in the morning and I’ll dig the details out if you’re interested.

Long story short, after 3-4 weeks I was normal…well, my feet were, I’ll always be a bit wrong.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had this in both feet, from long distance running, about ten years ago. NHS would help me as their duty is to get you walking again and not to to aid long distance runners, so I went private. Link is below. It was money well invested.

http://www.brightonpodiatry.co.uk/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Walking without shoes and slippers. No, don’t adjust your screen, you read that correctly. Being barefoot is really good for you and helps strengthen the muscles in your foot and lower legs. I transitioned into minimalist footwear a few years ago after suffering running injuries (shin splints and planter fasciitis) and haven’t had any issues since. Digressing slightly, but the book ‘Born to Run’ explores how the author, suffering from planter fasciitis himself, begins to transition away from all the unnecessary padding and confinement of modern shoes to a more natural way of running and walking. It may sound like a load of hippy nonsense but it worked for me!

Funnily enough I was watching something the other day where a spiritual yoga guru was advocating walking barefoot outside for at least an hour a day,first thing in the morning ,every morning.
I'm guessing he meant walking on grass or earth or sand barefoot rather than down West Street in the early hours.
It does make sense both from a physiological perspective as well as a spiritual one.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I had to go without golf for a few months due to bunions and Morton neuroma. All very painful. Resolved by getting a steroid injection (for latter), wearing toe pads and wider fitting golf shoes. Even symptom free, I wear pads religiously for protection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here