Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ben Stokes

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The ECB has just announced that Ben Stokes is going to take an indefinite break from cricket with immediate effect.

That doesn't sound, hope the fella's OK

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Didn't his dad die fairly recently? Maybe another mental health issue.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh dear, so sorry to hear this as he is an inspirational player either with a bat or a ball and even fielding. Whatever the problem is I hope he is given the support and the time to get over it and return.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Didn't his dad die fairly recently? Maybe another mental health issue.

Seems like it might be judging from England Cricket facebook post

ben.JPG

I wonder if Piers Morgan will be brave enough to tweet some bile about this one.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
International cricket these days, as well as all the other demands, is one perpetual strain for players. I think the Covid thing has sent some to the edge.

I LOVE the game. But there is too much of it now. And players know their careers are relatively short, and form is not forever, so they chase the income now to build security for their families. A constant treadmill.

Then there is the constant scrutiny and bile. Think of the tabloid shit about Stokes.

Good luck to him. Been fantastic for England.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The full England statement confirms the break is to prioritise his mental wellbeing and to rest his left index finger which has not fully healed.
Makes sense to miss the India series and just return if and when he feels he is able to do so.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
International cricket these days, as well as all the other demands, is one perpetual strain for players. I think the Covid thing has sent some to the edge.

I LOVE the game. But there is too much of it now. And players know their careers are relatively short, and form is not forever, so they chase the income now to build security for their families. A constant treadmill.

Then there is the constant scrutiny and bile. Think of the tabloid shit about Stokes.

The demands of the game have changed so much in the last 20 years or so, the pressure on the players is immense. Cricket can be a lonely and stressful game for too many with the constant pressure to be brilliant all the time. We have seen glimpses already with the struggles of Trott, Trescothick and Pietersen, top players who struggled with the weight of having to perform at their very best so often

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The full England statement confirms the break is to prioritise his mental wellbeing and to rest his left index finger which has not fully healed.
Makes sense to miss the India series and just return if and when he feels he is able to do so.

And hopefully The Ashes series is removed to next year. We could do with that purely from selfish interest alone. This Test team needs time.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I wonder if Piers Morgan will cricise Ben Stokes in the same way he did Simone Biles....

He wouldn't have the balls to do it. IF however he did I'd like to see Ben Stokes tear his face off and Simone Biles jump up and down on it! I don't like Piers Morgan!!:tosser::angry:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Yes mate. In fact does fantastic even cover it? Magnificent possibly the adjective. Anyway look forward to seeing you back Ben when you're ready

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
So sorry to hear this.

Stokes has had a really rough time. Got a completely out of proportion ban for that nightclub fracas after which he was found not guilty in a morning. Then his dad died on the other side of the world.

I do think there’s some culpability from the authorities here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May 5, 2020
Sussex
He's done the right thing in terms of his mental health the same as Simone.
In my experience it's best to get on top of mental problems early and recognise somethings not right and put your hand up.
These things can easily snowball with a stiff upper lip,I'm fine,I can tough it out attitude,in fact it makes things worse when inevitable mistakes start to creep in and under performance at times which then invites criticism from team mates,enemies of course but worse of all our selves.
It takes a lot of balls to stand up and say this and one of the reasons for this is twats like piers Morgan looking to put the boot in.
Well done to stokes for doing this.
It's the right decision for him and I'm sure will turn out to be the right decision for England and the fans too.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He's done the right thing in terms of his mental health the same as Simone.
In my experience it's best to get on top of mental problems early and recognise somethings not right and put your hand up.
These things can easily snowball with a stiff upper lip,I'm fine,I can tough it out attitude,in fact it makes things worse when inevitable mistakes start to creep in and under performance at times which then invites criticism from team mates,enemies of course but worse of all our selves.
It takes a lot of balls to stand up and say this and one of the reasons for this is twats like piers Morgan looking to put the boot in.
Well done to stokes for doing this.
It's the right decision for him and I'm sure will turn out to be the right decision for England and the fans too.

Totally agree with your comments , admitting you have a problem is a big step but allows you to get help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here