Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] A couple of Rugby Union law changes from 01 August

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A friend who is a very keen fan and ex referee has just told me some interesting law changes from August in Rugby Union.

Ball held up on or over the try line is the defending teams drop out from the try line.

Balls kicked from outside the 22 which bounce before going into touch will be an attacking team throw in. I like this one, it may discourage kicking from one end of the pitch to the other like ping pong.

Thoughts, If true?

Egg chasing haters comments welcome :wink:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A friend who is a very keen fan and ex referee has just told me some interesting law changes from August in Rugby Union.

Ball held up on or over the try line is the defending teams drop out from the try line.

Balls kicked from outside the 22 which bounce before going into touch will be an attacking team throw in. I like this one, it may discourage kicking from one end of the pitch to the other like ping pong.

Thoughts, If true?

These were on trial last year and there was a questionnaire sent to clubs a few months ago, asking what they should keep. I've no idea whether these are the results of that survey but I do like the idea of the first one.

I'm not sure about the second though, I think we'll see more kicking from one end of the pitch.
(makes mental note: introduce kicking practice when we start training again)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
More rule changes won't make much difference to the majority of armchair viewers anyway, It's almost impossible to understand already.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Thoughts, If true?

You into rugby IC ?

1) Makes sense. I often think 'Not another bloody scrum'.

2) Oooh, not sure. A bit resistant. But that said, it makes for a bit more excitement. And South Africa winning the World Cup forever. #StillBitter

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You into rugby IC ?

1) Makes sense. I often think 'Not another bloody scrum'.

2) Oooh, not sure. A bit resistant. But that said, it makes for a bit more excitement. And South Africa winning the World Cup forever. #StillBitter

Massive fan of International rugby, not so much club rugby but I enjoy watching the Quins.

I like 2 but then I was hurling abuse at England in the Six Nations when we kept kicking, usually wasteful, high balls from our 22 or beyond. If you are going to play like that you have to kick well enough for your players to have a chance of challenging for the ball when it comes back down, we didn’t most of the time. This law change may make us kick for touch, with a bounce when outside the 22.

I am a fan of the way NZ, Australia and traditional French teams play, running rugby :thumbsup: not such a big fan of attritional rugby with forwards rather than running backs.

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I am a fan of the way NZ, Australia and traditional French teams play, running rugby :thumbsup: not such a big fan of attritional rugby with forwards rather than running backs.

You should watch some women's rugby - there's far more running in their game.

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I can't help thinking that the best rule change would be simply to reduce the number of players. As an occasional spectator I am baffled why people think it's interesting watching a bunch of huge blokes lumbering around, gaining 5 metres here, 10 metres there, then dropping the ball and giving the other side possession (repeat ad infinitum). Occasionally it gets interesting when space opens up. So - with fewer players there's more space. Reduce the scrum to 5, and get rid of the full back - and hey presto you have a much better game.

I admit I have very limited knowledge of the existing rules, and would be very pissed off if a rugby aficionado started suggesting similar rule changes for football :)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can't help thinking that the best rule change would be simply to reduce the number of players. As an occasional spectator I am baffled why people think it's interesting watching a bunch of huge blokes lumbering around, gaining 5 metres here, 10 metres there, then dropping the ball and giving the other side possession (repeat ad infinitum). Occasionally it gets interesting when space opens up. So - with fewer players there's more space. Reduce the scrum to 5, and get rid of the full back - and hey presto you have a much better game.

I admit I have very limited knowledge of the existing rules, and would be very pissed off if a rugby aficionado started suggesting similar rule changes for football :)

Sevens sounds like the game you should be watching!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Ha ha! Yes - seen a bit of the Olympics....but maybe somewhere between that and the current 15-player version would be ideal (just my view!)

You mean like 11 players? Make the ball round? One point for kicking it under the bar and between the posts, and none for kicking it over the bar...?

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
You mean like 11 players? Make the ball round? One point for kicking it under the bar and between the posts, and none for kicking it over the bar...?

Still get as many tries as goals. Although I think the EPL is catching up with penalties these days.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That second rule change sounds like a terrible idea. Decent teams teams rarely kick away possession other than when they're deep in their own half. If you've got decent set position on the halfway line and a fairly straightforward bit of skill from the fly half - ie a kick to the corner - gets you an attacking line out close to the oppo's try line, then this is just going to discourage a running game and result in 80 minutes of 10 man rugby.

Have to say it's the first I've heard about it though.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
If you like league then **** off to Sheffield or somewhere.

Oh, as you were.

:lolol:

Happily, this is very much football country.

We're in a rugby sandwich between the Midlands and the M62. What an image that is.

There is a semi serious point though, that many of the suggestions to make Union more entertaining, open or generally "better", resemble changes to League over the years (the poster I replied to mentioned fewer players and smaller scrums, the new kick rule resembles to 40/20 rule). I like Union in the right context, when there's a big crunch game in the 6 nations or world cup and a team spends 5 minutes desperately holding on at their try line. On the other hand I find league generally more watchable. But I don't think either code would benefit from being more like the other.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That second rule change sounds like a terrible idea. Decent teams teams rarely kick away possession other than when they're deep in their own half. If you've got decent set position on the halfway line and a fairly straightforward bit of skill from the fly half - ie a kick to the corner - gets you an attacking line out close to the oppo's try line, then this is just going to discourage a running game and result in 80 minutes of 10 man rugby.

Have to say it's the first I've heard about it though.

Totally this. The likes of Rob Andrew would have had a field day with this rule, he was a superb tactical kicker in his day.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
More rule changes won't make much difference to the majority of armchair viewers anyway, It's almost impossible to understand already.

yep, while i enjoy watching, havent a scooby what half the scrums and penalties are given for.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here