Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Olympic squads - value for money ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not our GB rowing squad that is for sure. 14th in the rowing medal table.
Tough questions will be asked about the best funded sport in the Olympic programme after Team GB finished with just a bronze and a silver from the men’s quad sculls. It was the lowest total for the team since Atlanta 1996.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Tough questions will be asked about the best funded sport in the Olympic programme after Team GB finished with just a bronze and a silver from the men’s quad sculls. It was the lowest total for the team since Atlanta 1996.

According to the Guardian:
The £24.6m it received over the Tokyo Olympic cycle was more than any other sport yet Britain’s rowers failed to pick up a gold medal for the first time since the 1980 Games in Moscow and their contribution to the medals table is poorer than any since the 1972 Games.

SAC

May 21, 2014
There is no doubt that GB Rowing will need to be asking questions of itself and will need to get by in the next three years with less money than they are used to. Rowing's loss will mean a gain in income for British Swimming, Taekwondo and BMX Cycling.

Just like Everton spending millions on trying to come 5th, it doesn't always work out and look at the money and Bloom needs to pump million into the club each year just to flirt with relegation. Neither could be called value for money but, perhaps, necessary in order to compete.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
IMG_20210730_160206.jpg
IMG_20210730_160232.jpg

Interesting reading.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Yeah, but medals aren't everything. Look at all those wotking class council estate kids that have been inspired to pick up a scull and pair of oars, join a rowing 8 and get out on the Thames instead of sitting around playing video games and being drawn into a life of drug dealing and knife crime.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Cracknell and Pinsent have been pretty vocal on this and quite rightly in my view.

Weird decision getting rid of Grobler and subsequently not winning anything. Whining from some of the rowers they didn’t like him. Idea is to get results - if you don’t on that kind of funding, expect criticism from those who have been there and done it.

And it would help if they had been able to steer properly. Looks like they all got a bit cocky and took their eye off the ball (or boat in this case).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
On form, I suspect track cycling, next week, will be similarly disappointing like the rowing (hope I'm wrong though).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Those sneering at the rowers and their funding will do well to remember they've carried British in half the Olympiads of the last 20 years. They'll need to address this year's absolute shambles but equally they deserve some patience from those who fund Olympic sports. I'm not a fan of the way they're already tearing themselves apart in public, that's for sure.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
All sports go in phases, you can pump as much as you like into a sport but if there is no talent at that point of time you won't win medals. Look at Swimming we have won more golds this year that we have for 112 years.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yeah, but medals aren't everything. Look at all those wotking class council estate kids that have been inspired to pick up a scull and pair of oars, join a rowing 8 and get out on the Thames instead of sitting around playing video games and being drawn into a life of drug dealing and knife crime.

On form, I suspect track cycling, next week, will be similarly disappointing like the rowing (hope I'm wrong though).

Crack cycling perhaps.�� Excellent story from the wonderful Burgess Park BMX team in Peckham.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Personally I'd prefer better balanced funding for more accessible and diverse sports than rowing, sailing, equestrian etc.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My mrs is away on holiday in Scotland with her sister, she's an experienced rider and she's booked an hours horse riding for tomorrow, she said she hopes to get a canter out of it... for £40 for the hour, so, now you can see how much them dancin Horses cost !!!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
All sports go in phases, you can pump as much as you like into a sport but if there is no talent at that point of time you won't win medals. Look at Swimming we have won more golds this year that we have for 112 years.

Exactly this.
Like with anything in sport, things go in cycles.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
According to the Guardian:
The £24.6m it received over the Tokyo Olympic cycle was more than any other sport yet Britain’s rowers failed to pick up a gold medal for the first time since the 1980 Games in Moscow and their contribution to the medals table is poorer than any since the 1972 Games.

Money can't always buy you love. Or medals. Ask Arsenal and Spurs. Especially Spurs. And Newcastle. And Everton.

Just a blip I expect.

From the OP's question, I think that the birth of a successful Olympic operation on the back of lottery money has been brilliant and I support it fully, for the encouragement to participate, through to the joy of the successes. 2012 was one of the events of my life.

Plus, rather like the French atitude to football, if we do badly, who gives a shit? ??? :wink:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
think Team GB and whole Olympic movement needs a serious look at itself. they fund rowing for dozens of millions, but other have to pay their own way to compete in BMX? it doesnt even need millions diverted, just if someone qualifies Team GB should be funding their trip.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Plus, rather like the French atitude to football, if we do badly, who gives a shit? ??? :wink:

To be fair that’s the French attitude to pretty much everything.

“You sez we iz merde?” :shrug:

(Except cooking and riding bikes, obvs. They lose their shit about that stuff for some reason).

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
You could actually look at it completely differently and say that all the 4th places are a good sign for Paris 2024. There's been a massive turn over of rowing athletes since plenty of retirements after Rio, so there was always going to be a transitioning period.

Should be asking why the Cycling Team decided only to fund men's BMX rather than both them and the women's since Shriever had to crowd fund to get to the Olympics and bring home the gold. I know there's only limited resources, but she's been in phenomenal form leading up to the games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here