Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Grealish to City

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
[tweet] 1421073536031117314 [/tweet]

Interesting to say the least...

How will villa do without him? Will the meltdown amongst their fanbase exceed the temperature of the sun? Will he be a success at Oil FC?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not so well, yes, probably a bit meh.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hmmm if it is left to Jack l doubt he'd want to go, a Birmingham boy and Villa till he dies. He is a massive fish at Villa, but will be one of several similar sized species at Citeh.

It may not be him who makes the decision though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve completely lost touch with the financial fair play thing, but how will buying Grealish and Kane fit with this? They already have one fine/ban under their belts.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve completely lost touch with the financial fair play thing, but how will buying Grealish and Kane fit with this? They already have one fine/ban under their belts.

UEFA relaxed the rules purely so that clubs across Europe survive the pandemic financially.

Immediately seized upon last year by Villa and Everton with yet further big spends … Everton were already losing £100m a year pre pandemic!

City (Kane to come) and United it seems in a spending arms race this summer, despite 16 months of next to no stadium/hospitality income.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

Haven't FFP rules been suspended for now? Not that it'd make a blind bit of difference anyway, they'd either just pay the fine or get the ban overturned by the CAS

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
UEFA relaxed the rules purely so that clubs across Europe survive the pandemic financially.

Immediately seized upon last year by Villa and Everton with yet further big spends … Everton were already losing £100m a year pre pandemic!

City (Kane to come) and United it seems in a spending arms race this summer, despite 16 months of next to no stadium/hospitality income.

City but esp Utd and Arsenal need to spend enough money to ensure their fans forget about their involvement in The European Super League.

Seemingly Spurs aren't so lucky and Chelsea are happy little campers now Frankie got swapped for someone who actually knew what he was doing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Hasn't FFP been suspended because of Covid, as many teams will lose more than allowed due to Covid, no fans, etc? Of course, some owners (naming no names!) won't have been affected one jot, and still have multi millions avaiable to spend. City of course are now in a position where they can buy other teams' top players just to weaken the other teams, even when they themselves don't really need the player.

Edit: See that while I was typing, someone got in first with the suspension of FFP!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Well us mere mortal fans generate very little in the way of income to most teams in the Premier League these days, certainly in terms of the riches they generate from such sources as Sky for their broadcasting rights.

Jul 7, 2003
Having signed Buendia in the summer, it would look like they have his replacement in place already.

If Simple Jack really wants to prove himself then he has to move to a team who compete at the top level and he might win some medals.

If not, then he could end up as a Midlands Le Tissier

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

They'll just pay the fine. Until there is a wage cap or transfer cap, or something concrete to stop this, it won't stop. Man City could afford to buy Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Lewandowski, Mbappé, van Dijk and Haaland, and still have enough money to buy them all again.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I'm amazed that the likes of City and United can afford these big transfer fees after the £3.6m fine they had to fork out.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Hmmm if it is left to Jack l doubt he'd want to go, a Birmingham boy and Villa till he dies. He is a massive fish at Villa, but will be one of several similar sized species at Citeh.

I suspect he will want to win things and that ain't going to happen at villa park!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I suspect he will want to win things and that ain't going to happen at villa park!!

Well unless Villa get lucky in one of the cups, then no, probably not. As l say though, if the club except the bid he may have no choice in the matter anyway!

Bye bye Sock Boy.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well unless Villa get lucky in one of the cups, then no, probably not. As l say though, if the club except the bid he may have no choice in the matter anyway!

Bye bye Sock Boy.

I also doubt that Citeh would have made an offer if they weren't already aware, via his agent, that Grealish was ok with a move.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not saying he's pony, but that is a HELL of a lot of money for him.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

He should go.

It’s such a short career for players. And as much as I hate him facing us, he really is a brilliant player and deserves to play at the very top and line up in Champions Leagues and finals.

Tough on Villa, but good luck to him.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm not saying he's pony, but that is a HELL of a lot of money for him.

Well, yes. No football player ever can be worth £100m - the numbers now are simply insane.

That said, however, I think he is a terrific player and a unique talent and I am intrigued to see how he will fare in a side that enables him to actually play football. I'm not saying Pep is an angel but it was woeful watching Dean Smith use Grealish as some sort of free kick vending machine week in, week out.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If there run when he was out following their game at the Amex is an indication then we would finish above them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here