Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We should sign Adam Armstong

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I can't help but suspect they were so uninterested in our possible signings that they got as far as the As in a list of players before getting bored and picking the one their mouse happened to be on.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I've got nothing to go on but looking at his stats. A quick scan through suggests...he scored a lot of goals (28) with well over 50% (17) coming in games where he scored more than 1, which could be interpreted as struggling against quality sides. That's perhaps also shown by how he also only scored 1 goal against any of the relegated or now promoted Premier League teams. Or to put it another way, he played (I think) 38 games and didn't score in 22 of them.

That still better than most though, and he got more assists in the season than Maupay and Welbeck combined, which may or may not mean anything. Only Groß had more assists for us last season than Armstrong got.

He also got a load of shots in most games whether he scored or not so must get into good positions. So a good number of goals, could worry defenders, good assists...but might struggle with the step up...it's a maybe from me! He's also only 5ft6 which is worth considering.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spelling his name wrong in the thread title is certainly a strong start.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No better than Connolly whom he is a very very similar player too.

Also, I think Newcastle would have first refusal and get a big chunk of the fee if they didn’t want him.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
He scored 28 Championship goals and 5 assists last season?

Maupay scored 25 Championship goals and 8 assists in the season before he joined us.

How would this be a significant improvement? :shrug:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
From the outside looking in would def. be interested.

My fear is there may be an auction for this guy. I’d be surprised if we haven’t enquired or at least checked with GP, it’s possible we may not rate him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've got nothing to go on but looking at his stats. A quick scan through suggests...he scored a lot of goals (28) with well over 50% (17) coming in games where he scored more than 1, which could be interpreted as struggling against quality sides. That's perhaps also shown by how he also only scored 1 goal against any of the relegated or now promoted Premier League teams. Or to put it another way, he played (I think) 38 games and didn't score in 22 of them.

That still better than most though, and he got more assists in the season than Maupay and Welbeck combined, which may or may not mean anything. Only Groß had more assists for us last season than Armstrong got.

He also got a load of shots in most games whether he scored or not so must get into good positions. So a good number of goals, could worry defenders, good assists...but might struggle with the step up...it's a maybe from me! He's also only 5ft6 which is worth considering.
1.73M - 5 ft.8in, not 5ft.6in. We've got Welbeck who's over 6ft, so we don't necessaariy need another 6ft. something striker. I rate this fellows record above, or at least equal to, Edouard's.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Also, I think Newcastle would have first refusal and get a big chunk of the fee if they didn’t want him.

Armstrong is no better than Connolly and he scored 25. Let's hope Championship clubs will be queueing up to give Connolly the loan he desparately needs (and a £million loan fee for us!) to score 25 goals, just like Armstrong.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I do like Armstrong a lot, would be very happy if we did get him. Personally, I would prefer him to Edouard.

Whilst I understand the comparisons to Maupay, Armstrong extra pace sets him apart for me.

The extra pace is pretty useless against a low block. Our issues last season mostly amounted to a failure of overcoming bottom 6 sides, most of whom played the low block. I’d prefer a bit of height, muscle and cute play to a speed merchant like Armstrong.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Remind me of the season when Connolly scored 28 (twenty eight) goals in a season.
Have you made your player comparison based on them both being relatively short?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Maupay scored 25 Championship goals and 8 assists in the season before he joined us.

I suppose because goals scored in Championship is only a loose predictor of how someone will fare in the Premier League.

There's loads of variables at play. Were they scored in a dominant or attacking team? Was he the penalty taker? Has he outscored his XG? Was the previous season an outlier or has he banged the in through the youth leagues?

The recruitment team, if he is on our radar will know all this stuff.

One indicator is that as far as I can tell, there's no bidding war or mass clamour for his signature.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

In exactly the same way Edouard would be a significant improvement .. or not.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Last season's goals output looks likely to be an outlier. His previous numbers dont look so impressive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here