Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The year 2020 was the third warmest, fifth wettest and eight sunniest on record.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The report says the UK has become hotter, sunnier and rainier:

2020 was the third warmest UK year since 1884; all the years in the top 10 are since 2002

- Last year was one of the least snowy on record; any snow mainly affected upland and northern areas
- Spring 2020 was the UK’s sunniest on record, and sunnier than most UK summers.
- 2020 was the UK’s fifth wettest year; six of the 10 wettest years have been since 1998

No other year is in the top 10 on all three criteria.

Liz Bentley, head of the Royal Meteorological Society, said that even if governments could achieve the challenging outcome of limiting global temperature rise to 1.5C – which looks very unlikely - that would still lead to a 10% increase in the amount of water the air can hold.

“In the UK,” she said, “we are likely to see temperatures of 40C***. As we get 1.5C warming, that’ll be something we see on a regular basis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57988023

Nothing new - and certainly not something anyone can write anything new about.
But it's still 'nice' to see it written down.

***On those days some of you might even turn your heating down a notch or two.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
40 degs c i'll eat my hat.

It'll be nicely toasted.

I'd imagine the people of Portland, Oregon, were saying much the same 5 years ago.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i remember when the fear was 2 deg warming. now its 1.5 deg. seems like we're doing a lot of things right already.

i also remember when we had year after year of long dry summers and the predictions were of drought and Mediterranean climate in England. obviously the science was different then, or recency colours the judgement and predictions promoted. :shrug:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i remember working with my dad around Tooting , Brixton , Ealing etc when i was a teenager , the heat was mental for a few weeks in the summer and the sky was a shitty brown colour , as you came down through the tunnel at waterhall the temperature would drop noticeably and once back on the coast it was easily 7or 8 degs cooler and the sky was clear.....coasties are very lucky.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
40 degs c i'll eat my hat.

What sauce will you have with it ? The record is 38.7(101f), set two years ago.

When I was a kid I remember 90f being some that rarely if ever happened. Now that has been adjusted to 100f.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
What sauce will you have with it ? The record is 38.7(101f), set two years ago.

When I was a kid I remember 90f being some that rarely if ever happened. Now that has been adjusted to 100f.

according to google the hottest temp. recorded in London is 38.1 in August 2003.

The days i was referring to were in the early 80's and were probably around 35-36 degs , but it felt a lot hotter jackhammering up roads and welding 20 ft lengths of pve pipe together ....great money though when yer 14-15...used to buy bits and pieces of the rastas in the white hart on tooting broadway and double up back in worthing , happy days...:smoking::mad:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We've ****ed it lads

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
according to google the hottest temp. recorded in London is 38.1 in August 2003.

The days i was referring to were in the early 80's and were probably around 35-36 degs , but it felt a lot hotter jackhammering up roads and welding 20 ft lengths of pve pipe together ....great money though when yer 14-15...used to buy bits and pieces of the rastas in the white hart on tooting broadway and double up back in worthing , happy days...:smoking::mad:

I'm a bit of a weather nerd. So I'm pretty sure you are referring to 1983 (June and July very hot and dry) or 1984 (June very warm for a couple of weeks). 1981 and 1982 were nowt to write home about. 1980 you would have been wearing a mac all summer :lolol:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
And yet nothing will happen to stop the inevitable flooding and droughts until somebody who's been on love Island or a top footballer is directly affected by a human made (natural disaster) .

If all the earth's leaders cannot actually see what's happening and unilaterally agree a plan and stick to it , our great grandchildren will probably be the last generation of adult humanity on a dying planet .

That's how fast things are changing , it's already probably too late but doing nothing now will put the nail firmly in the coffin lid .

Anyway more importantly have we signed a striker yet .

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

Hottest temperature in England / the UK was 38.7 on 25/7/2019

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-extremes

I was doing a bridge inspection that day, happily it was in a field next to a railway, rather than actually being part of the railway itself, so I didn't have to wear all the hi-vis or walk over track ballast.

The van I was in didn't have air conditioning, the trip back in the afternoon was great fun:mad:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hottest temperature in England / the UK was 38.7 on 25/7/2019

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-extremes

I was doing a bridge inspection that day, happily it was in a field next to a railway, rather than actually being part of the railway itself, so I didn't have to wear all the hi-vis or walk over track ballast.

The van I was in didn't have air conditioning, the trip back in the afternoon was great fun:mad:

I was at Lord's watching England vs Ireland and was delighted several months earlier I'd bought the tickets underneath the Compton stand (which sees no sun directly at any point ever). Remember being treated to a pretty epic thunderstorm rattling through at the end of the day too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And yet nothing will happen to stop the inevitable flooding and droughts until somebody who's been on love Island or a top footballer is directly affected by a human made (natural disaster) .

If all the earth's leaders cannot actually see what's happening and unilaterally agree a plan and stick to it , our great grandchildren will probably be the last generation of adult humanity on a dying planet .

That's how fast things are changing , it's already probably too late but doing nothing now will put the nail firmly in the coffin lid .

A favourite podcast of mine (The Socially Distant Sports Bar) is currently running with the theory that we'd be better off if top top sport people retired straight into politics.

They started with the simple proposition.

Who do you want running the country:-

Martin or Boris Johnson?
(Or Kia Starma)

Once you roll with the idea it's tough to walk it back.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Climate change is part of our planet’s make up. We still have ice at our poles from the last ice age. Little doubt now that the 250 years since the industrial revolution together with population growth has contributed to warming. But it’s always important to remember that the Earth’s climate has warmed and cooled across geological time.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The term 'since records began' is doing a lot of heavy lifting considering the earth is 4.5 billion years old ... [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I don't think that's important to remember when it comes to this particular issue, at all. As it's so important to differentiate between natural climate change and anthropogenic climate change.

What we are doing to the planet is unprecedented, it's never happened before.

There is not little doubt that our activity has contributed to the extreme climate change we are experience, there is NO doubt.

Humanity is already suffering because of our climate change activity. Just need to look at the floods in Germany, China, Turkey this month, or the record breaking heatwave in NW America, again just this month.

No pun intended, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Don't mean to be a doommonger, but this is nothing. The destruction of our ways of life, and death toll, in the coming years through climate change will absolutely dwarf that of the coronavirus pandemic.

I don’t disagree with you. Our problem is that this period of climate change is occurring while 8 billion of us are on the planet’s surface.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Climate change is part of our planet’s make up. We still have ice at our poles from the last ice age. Little doubt now that the 250 years since the industrial revolution together with population growth has contributed to warming. But it’s always important to remember that the Earth’s climate has warmed and cooled across geological time.

You are right, but the current rate of change is massively problematic. It's like slamming the brakes on in a bus and sending all your passengers flying as you come to a bus stop, and saying "whats the problem, buses stop here all the time".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here