Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Decorating is

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Show willing and be enthusiastic, Cock it up on purpose and you will never be asked again...

You might have to take some ribbing in the future, as the wife proudly informs everyone at parties and social gatherings your useless at diy.....

But every husband there, will see the glint in your eye, and know your game, thinking clever *******, he knows how to play the game.....

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Doesn't it go everywhere?

Probably wouldn't do it if the house wasn't empty and no flooring unless you were doing a few rooms. But as it's empty and just bare floorboards, it's not a problem.

Can always mask up, but if you are just doing one coat or 2 in a room with furniture, don't think you'd save much time after you've masked everything. But slinging a roller about is a lot harder than one of these:

Wagner Universal Sprayer W 690 FLEXiO - Electric Paint Sprayer for Wall & Ceiling/Wood & Metal paint - interior and exterior usage

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01F1UY...abc_DSQA0M864J790TZ3177V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve never hired a decorator, always diy’d to spend the money on nice things or to help stay afloat financially.

I pet hate is painting ceilings - easy to mess up, covering up flooring/belongings, messy and a literal pain in the neck. Next time, I’ll pay a professional decorator.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Decorating is also an outlet for creativity.

I actually don't mind it. Having a vision of how you'd like something to look then carrying out. I find it quite satisfying (no I won't come to your house and do yours for you)

It's the preparation that can be totally laborious.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Can’t paint or wallpaper or do anything really DIY - wouldn’t dream of trying , I would do a terrible job . Always get a recommendation.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Decorating is a task full of fond memories of my dad, who is a decorator.

He used to take me to jobs with him when I was younger to do little bits and bobs. The smell of paint is something I strongly associate with him.

I should clarify he's still alive. That first sentence makes it sound like he's gone.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Decorating is also an outlet for creativity.

I actually don't mind it. Having a vision of how you'd like something to look then carrying out. I find it quite satisfying (no I won't come to your house and do yours for you)

It's the preparation that can be totally laborious.
Very true, sometimes I let rip and paint a wall barley white instead of magnolia.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I was looking at some documents on a high rise residential project we were working on and there were approximately 250,000 square metres of new plasterboard partition to be painted with emulsion.

Often wondered if the guys working on those projects get professionals in when they are getting their own places decorated as they must be sick of the sight of paint

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Done it too many times myself. Awful job. Well worth paying someone else to do it.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
A constant stress. Have just got someone in to redo something I wasn't happy with having attempted it myself and they've done it worse than I did.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very much in the 'pay someone else' mode now. I did a decent job on our living room, if I do sayso myself - wallpapered the bottom half, painted the top half (plus coving and ceiling) and it came out fine. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to neat straight lines, so I'm careful to get it right otherwise it'll just bother the hell out of me till I sort it.

Our hallway/stairs/landing needed painting this year though, and I just could not summons the will. Its a MASSIVE job, what with all the doors, skirting boards, coving, ceiling and the stairwell. Plus bannisters. One of our neighbours is a painter and decorator by trade, gave me a decent quote, so I had him come and do it. It took him from Monday till Friday (with his missus helping out on Friday to finish it off). It would've taken me at least twice as long, probably more being as I'd have rapidly run out of enthusiasm at the sheer BOREDOM of it all.

Yup, paying someone else is definitely the way forward. Its great leaving them to it for hours, then coming back and just saying "oh, its going well!".

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I managed to put off decorating the last room of our loft conversion for a full 18 months, before I'd finished the Mrs. started mentioning how our son's bedroom needs redecorating now and that can f*** right off for the time being. I'll save up some money and get someone in, I really can't stand it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was looking at some documents on a high rise residential project we were working on and there were approximately 250,000 square metres of new plasterboard partition to be painted with emulsion.

Often wondered if the guys working on those projects get professionals in when they are getting their own places decorated as they must be sick of the sight of paint

If they need carrying up a few stories, [MENTION=420]sydney[/MENTION] is your man! :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A constant stress. Have just got someone in to redo something I wasn't happy with having attempted it myself and they've done it worse than I did.

Like the time we had my chippy brother in law in to create and fit shelves into a lounge alcove.

Obviously not level, a marble raced from one end to the other.

I redid them.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Decorating is a task full of fond memories of my dad, who is a decorator.

He used to take me to jobs with him when I was younger to do little bits and bobs. The smell of paint is something I strongly associate with him.

I should clarify he's still alive. That first sentence makes it sound like he's gone.

Exactly the same here (and he's still alive). I grew up with Painting and Decorating, and have a pretty good aptitude for it - but there's a limit.

It's so boring and monotonous at times, and others it can be very rewarding when you stand back and look at what you've done (if you've done it properly). Also, it's saved me thousands of pounds, which isn't to be sniffed at!

In hindsight though, I may not tackle a four storey, five bedroom townhouse from scratch all on my own (as well as running a business) again. :shootself

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I enjoy decorating, and always took the view that the modest cost of emulsion made it the best-value transformation of a room it was possible to have.

But then, the other day, looking at the rows of less-than-full tins of F&B on the garage shelves I realised that it had cost me over £600 to put them there. Still enjoy it though.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Sometimes you do building work and the clients show absolutely no enthusiasm even where you've really gone beyond any reasonable expectation to make the job turn out better.
Then a couple of decorators turn up slosh a couple of coats of paint up and the same surly gits are gushing about what a difference it's made and what a great job they've done and how grateful they are.
Boils my piss.
I'd still rather not do it though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here