Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Decorating is

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Newly married, newly moved into a purchased 2 bed apartment over here. Done most of the simple things quickly myself before wife moved furniture across but the badly needed ceiling painting is probably beyond me. She wouldn’t wait for it to be done for furniture to come across so is gonna be a proper ball ache making sure everything is safe while some poor sod spends half a day up ladders. I know for certain it won’t be me though! Done with decorating for a very long time!!!

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
……always best left to the girlfriend who is not only brilliant at it but actually enjoys it!
Win win.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I enjoy decorating, and always took the view that the modest cost of emulsion made it the best-value transformation of a room it was possible to have.

But then, the other day, looking at the rows of less-than-full tins of F&B on the garage shelves I realised that it had cost me over £600 to put them there. Still enjoy it though.

I'm an ex-Property Developer and F&B paint is by far the worst paint I've ever used. Mrs WS insisted on a colour from them for our sitting room and it took four coats to just cover white walls. Would never use it again.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Sometimes you do building work and the clients show absolutely no enthusiasm even where you've really gone beyond any reasonable expectation to make the job turn out better.
Then a couple of decorators turn up slosh a couple of coats of paint up and the same surly gits are gushing about what a difference it's made and what a great job they've done and how grateful they are.
Boils my piss.
I'd still rather not do it though.
Anything visual sets them off, the only time I really get praise is when I install down lights or garden lighting a new fuse box is hardly exciting to be fair.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I'm an ex-Property Developer and F&B paint is by far the worst paint I've ever used. Mrs WS insisted on a colour from them for our sitting room and it took four coats to just cover white walls. Would never use it again.

I remember our decorator advising against using it.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
You can get all the FB colours mixed in trade paint half the price better paint.

If you go to Johnstons they've already matched all the F&B colours in the lab so to far greater accuracy than taking a swatch. Just ask for Lamp room grey or whatever in a paint that works.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Farrow & Ball paint is a load of old pipe........rubbish in fact , it is all about the name and i believe it is used and recommended by the national trust/heritage council....all about the coin.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I said I’d do the decorating when I get the chance, so why does she keep banging on about it every 6 flaming months!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Need to crack on when I get home. Can anyone recommend a good painter decorator in the Lancing area so I don't make a complete cluster of our gaff?

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I love polyfillering and painting but not wallpaper.
I was lucky enough to work with an old school painter and decorator when I left school.
Best painter and decorator I have ever seen.
He gave me 2 great pieces of advice that I have never forgotten.
1.always start at the top and work down.

2.good preparation means a good finish.

Simple but very effective advice when it comes to decorating.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here