Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Heading in football: Professional players in England limited to 10 'higher force headers'

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57996593

Professional footballers in England are to be limited to 10 "higher force headers" a week in training under new guidelines for the upcoming season.

It comes after recent "multiple studies" were conducted into concerns about the long-term dangers of heading.

In 2019, a study found professional footballers were more likely to suffer from neurodegenerative brain disease.

Guidance for amateurs is "10 headers per session and only one session a week where heading practice is included".

It comes after an MPs' inquiry earlier in July said that sport has been allowed to "mark its own homework" on reducing the risks of brain injury.

"The preliminary studies identified the varying forces involved in heading a football, which were provided to a cross-football working group to help shape the guidance," said a joint statement on behalf of the Football Association, Premier League, English Football League, Professional Footballers' Association and League Managers Association.

"Based on those early findings, which showed the majority of headers involve low forces, the initial focus of the guidance [for professional football] will be on headers that involve higher forces.

"These are typically headers following a long pass (more than 35m) or from crosses, corners and free-kicks.

"It will be recommended that a maximum of 10 higher force headers are carried out in any training week.

"This recommendation is provided to protect player welfare and will be reviewed regularly as further research is undertaken to understand more regarding the impact of heading in football."

Research into football and head trauma has shown professional footballers are three and a half times more likely to die from dementia than people of the same age range in the general population.

The Premier League introduced a trial of additional permanent concussion substitutions in February, while the FA introduced head injury substitutes into the FA Cup in February.

Children aged 11 and are no longer taught to head footballs during training in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, while FA guidelines for coaches also puts limits on how much heading older children should do.

The new guidance for amateur football is for clubs "up to and including step five of the National League system and tier three and below of the women's football pyramid, and is specifically tailored for this level of the game".

"Our heading guidance now reaches across all players, at all levels of the game," said FA chief executive Mark Bullingham.

"We are committed to further medical research to gain an understanding of any risks within football. In the meantime, this reduces a potential risk factor.

"It is important to remember that the overwhelming medical evidence is that football and other sports have positive impacts on both mental and physical health."

Dementia: Does heading a football cause the disease?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-51135579

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This is a good thing.
My mates daughter, plays for Wycombe Wanderers ladies academy.
Even at the age of 17, the education of neurological issues when heading is being taught.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
OK I agree with all efforts to tackle dementia.

But who's going to be counting?

How are you going to define force header or otherwise? It's a difference of degree.

If you're a reserve striker, say Zeqiri, desperate for game time, desperate to impress, you've done your 10 in a week and then in a training game Pascal Gross whips in a beautiful ball behind the defence, begging to be attacked, are you really going to let it fly by?

I'm not saying nothing should be done or this is wrong, just questioning whether this will actually be enforced in any way in reality

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I agree with this. Never thought heading was something that needed practicing anyway.

EDIT: now remembers my dad getting me to practice heading loads when I was a kid.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OK I agree with all efforts to tackle dementia.

But who's going to be counting?

How are you going to define force header or otherwise? It's a difference of degree.

If you're a reserve striker, say Zeqiri, desperate for game time, desperate to impress, you've done your 10 in a week and then in a training game Pascal Gross whips in a beautiful ball behind the defence, begging to be attacked, are you really going to let it fly by?

I'm not saying nothing should be done or this is wrong, just questioning whether this will actually be enforced in any way in reality

Agree.

The only solution is headgear. Some sort of lightweight helmet come vest that shifts the impact to the thorax. It can be done.

One day people will look back to the current footy era rather the way boxing fans look back to the age of bare knuckle fighting.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree with this. Never thought heading was something that needed practicing anyway.

EDIT: now remembers my dad getting me to practice heading loads when I was a kid.

I remember playing up at Easthill park in Portslade in the 60s with a wet leather ball that laid me out when I got one in the forehead (a hoof from a much older boy in an unsupervised kick around). Balls were so heavy then that during supervised games for St Nicholas junior side I don't recall the ball ever rose high enough for anyone to get near to heading one.

Times change. Innit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As others have said, the intentions are sound but I just don't see how this is enforcable. No player in training is going to keep tabs on how often he's headed it. And even if someone else on the sidelines is keeping count, when the ball is there to be headed, for a goal or a clearance, then will a player really pull out of it as he's had his "quota" ?

So we're practicing defending corners. The ball comes over and Dunk ducks it, as he's already used his headers up ? Come on.

Perhaps the way forward will be padded headguards for CBs and strikers. And perhaps a rule change that says you can't head back a goal kick. It'd take a change in the way the game is played, but players can adapt.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Agree.

The only solution is headgear. Some sort of lightweight helmet come vest that shifts the impact to the thorax. It can be done.

One day people will look back to the current footy era rather the way boxing fans look back to the age of bare knuckle fighting.

I think I read somewhere that bare Knuckle fighters wouldnt aim for their opponents heads much for fear of breaking a Knuckle or finger bone.
They mostly wore the opponent down with punches to the shoulder.
When gloves were introduced it actually made punches to the head a lot easier on the hands and knockouts were the way to go and head injuries increased.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Unfortunately now the evidence is clear then the only way is to stop heading of the ball.
It is football after all,not foot/head ball.
I don't think padding will help as it's the sloshing of the brain around the inside of the skull after impact that does the damage.
I think the corner and free kick process will need looking at to incorporate no heading.
Maybe a kick in where the ball goes out of touch instead of a corner?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think I read somewhere that bare Knuckle fighters wouldnt aim for their opponents heads much for fear of breaking a Knuckle or finger bone.
They mostly wore the opponent down with punches to the shoulder.
When gloves were introduced it actually made punches to the head a lot easier on the hands and knockouts were the way to go and head injuries increased.

Fair point.

Didn't driving get a bit more flamboyant for a while after seat belts made drivers a bit too cocky?

Still.

twats.jpg

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Fair point.

Didn't driving get a bit more flamboyant for a while after seat belts made drivers a bit too cocky?

Still.

View attachment 139097

Yes,I think Stirling Moss made the point that modern F1 drivers drive more dangerously because they know they have more protection in a crash,and I'm sure the same was true of car drivers.

The picture you posted is a modern bare Knuckle fight.
Could it be that the modern bare Knuckle pugilists have been programmed to aim for the head because gloved boxing in modern times has made aiming for the head acceptable?
Maybe we have long forgotten what the original pugilists knew which was blows to the head are quite dangerous and not very sporting.

Old bare Knuckle fights used to go on for 20+ rounds and was more a test of stamina and a strong leading shoulder.
Tom cribb Vs molineux was about 30 rounds I think ,so I don't think there was a lot of intentional head punches.

So I'm not sure more head protection will solve the problems for footballers heading it and I agree fans will probably look back and say"I can't believe they used to allow headers"but I think it will have to be gone for good now with a few rule changes in other areas to accommodate no heading,rather than padding.
But will we miss it ?is the big question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here