Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Grimes - Swansea

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Probably rubbish, but here goes

Watford and Brighton and Hove Albion have entered the race to sign Swansea City midfielder Matt Grimes, according to Football Insider.

Grimes has been with the Swans since 2015, and has gone on to make 157 appearances in total for the club, which includes 51 in the 2020/21 season.

The midfielder captained the Swans in last year’s campaign, which ended in a frustrating manner, as they missed out on promotion into the Premier League, after a defeat to Brentford in the Championship play-off final.

Grimes has been attracting interest from Fulham in recent weeks, with the Daily Mail having reported that a move to Craven Cottage was close to be agreed this summer.

But Watford and Brighton and Hove Albion have joined Marco Silva’s side in the race to strike an agreement with the Swans for Grimes in the near future.

Watford will be planning for life back in the Premier League, and have evidently been impressed with what they’ve seen from Grimes in recent seasons.

Whilst Brighton are well-established in the top-flight now, and are keen to add depth to their midfield options ahead of the 2021/22 campaign.

Football Insider claim that Grimes could be available for a fee of just £1.5million, due to the midfielder only having one year remaining on his current deal with Swansea.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/w...ham-in-race-to-sign-in-demand-efl-midfielder/

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/matt-grimes/profil/spieler/265471

https://www.futhead.com/20/players/7248/matt-grimes/

Screenshot 2021-07-28 121244.png

Not this guy
Screenshot 2021-07-28 121348.png

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We’ve been linked before as apparently Potter rates him from his time at Swansea. Another one that will probably get trotted out each year along with Dan James

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
3 years too old for us. 23 or younger is the FM filter we use.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Where the hell is Jayson Molumby?
Grimes is steady isn’t he? Can’t see where he’d play in this team though and suspect we are a level above his.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think Swans fans said Grimes was a player they thought GP would make a move for when he took over.

But now though?

I don’t see how he gets in the team. Ok they’re all different roles, but do you see him getting ahead of Mwepu, Biss, Gross, Alzate, Lallana, Moder?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Where the hell is Jayson Molumby?
Grimes is steady isn’t he? Can’t see where he’d play in this team though and suspect we are a level above his.

Hmmm a level aboved this, yet we still finished just one place clear of relegation last season. That apart it's forward areas we should be looking to strengthen in, not yet another midfield option.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Last year of hs contract, so would cost only £1.5M - so why is Edouard still £18.5 M? He's not 12 times better! Don't see where Grimes would fit in though - surely we;ve got better in house already>

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Would be surprised if we did sign him, given our options in midfield. And I thought he had already signed for Fulham.

If it is £1.5 million though, maybe the club see it as a no lose situation. He comes here for a season, with one or two of our midfielders getting experience on loan and, if he does well we have a good player for a very good price. If he doesn't do well, he is already proven in the Championship and we would make a significant profit on him next summer potentially.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Last year of hs contract, so would cost only £1.5M - so why is Edouard still £18.5 M? He's not 12 times better! Don't see where Grimes would fit in though - surely we;ve got better in house already>

One's a 26 year old midfielder in an average Championship side and the other is a 23 year old, France U21 striker that's scored goals in Europe. Decent Championship-level midfielders are ten-a-penny, decent regular goalscorers are not.

Either way, you're right on him coming here. I cannot see him getting into a side with Bissouma, Mwepu, Lallana, Moder, Caicedo, Alzate and Molumby for competition.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
how many midfielders do we need?

I don;t think we'll sign him, but we said this last year when we signed Veltman. How many defenders do we need? Veltman ended up playing 28 times last season.

If a midfielder is good enough, I think we would sign him at the right price (hence Mwepu) but as I said in another post I think he's just too far down our pecking order, even at £1.5m

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I always get the impression that 'Football Insider' is actually inside a pub somewhere.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I like Matt Grimes but he isnt really needed in this squad.

Also 10 years into his managerial career, Potter is yet to reunite with a player he's previously worked with, and I'm not sure its a coincidence.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I like Matt Grimes but he isnt really needed in this squad.

Also 10 years into his managerial career, Potter is yet to reunite with a player he's previously worked with, and I'm not sure its a coincidence.

He was unlikely to take anyone from Ostersunds to Swansea, but when he came here from Swansea we did try and bring Dan James and Ollie McBurnie I believe. The reason he has not brought any player he has worked with before is because he has moved up to a level where few of his former players could join him, and the few that could have, had other options that either suited, or paid them better.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He was unlikely to take anyone from Ostersunds to Swansea, but when he came here from Swansea we did try and bring Dan James and Ollie McBurnie I believe. The reason he has not brought any player he has worked with before is because he has moved up to a level where few of his former players could join him, and the few that could have, had other options that either suited, or paid them better.

Not that unlikely. Ken Sema is a starter in Watford now, Saman Ghoddos a part of the Brentford squad, Fouad Bachirou belongs to Nottingham and quite a few others from his Östersund team would have been valuable and realistic additions to the small Swansea squad he was in charge of. In Brighton some of the most urgent positions to strengthen could have been with Swansea players, like signing Joe Rodon instead of Adam Webster, Grimes instead of Mooy, Connor Roberts as right back... there was a lot of possible transfers that would have made a lot of sense.

I think its more about not wanting the squad to feel that he is bringing in his "old favorites" to compete on unfair terms... that said, I dont think exceptions are impossible. I'd imagine it would be difficult to say no to Dan James if the chance came up.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not that unlikely. Ken Sema is a starter in Watford now, Saman Ghoddos a part of the Brentford squad, Fouad Bachirou belongs to Nottingham and quite a few others from his Östersund team would have been valuable and realistic additions to the small Swansea squad he was in charge of. In Brighton some of the most urgent positions to strengthen could have been with Swansea players, like signing Joe Rodon instead of Adam Webster, Grimes instead of Mooy, Connor Roberts as right back... there was a lot of possible transfers that would have made a lot of sense.

I think its more about not wanting the squad to feel that he is bringing in his "old favorites" to compete on unfair terms... that said, I dont think exceptions are impossible. I'd imagine it would be difficult to say no to Dan James if the chance came up.

Fair to say you would know a lot more about the quality at Ostersunds than me, but I think that Swansea signed only a couple of players when Potter came in anyway, mostly selling off their assets and pushing former loan outs and U23 squad into the team?

I like Grimes though, but if I were him I would look for a club a bit less well stocked with Midfielders.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
One's a 26 year old midfielder in an average Championship side and the other is a 23 year old, France U21 striker that's scored goals in Europe. Decent Championship-level midfielders are ten-a-penny, decent regular goalscorers are not.

Either way, you're right on him coming here. I cannot see him getting into a side with Bissouma, Mwepu, Lallana, Moder, Caicedo, Alzate and Molumby for competition.

It does seem very unlikely we will be in for another midfielder, BUT, we will lose Biss & Mwepu in Jan to AFCON, plus we have lost Propper & White (DM). Lallana’s fitness can never really be relied upon, and there’s every chance Caicedo & Molumby will be out on loan come September. Also not unreasonable to think Biss could be leaving permanently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here