Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Living in a caravan, or what ?

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
We are going to be having a lot of work done to our house and will have to move out for a few weeks.
As far as I can see our options are rent a flat or buy a caravan and live on site.

The advantage of a caravan is that we will be on site and if it overruns we have flexibility.
The advantage of a flat is that it's not a caravan.

Anyone done it and can offer advice/experience.

Comments along the lines of "You palace p*key" most welcome

Have your costs gone through the roof? We are having work done next March and already talk of 5 - 20% materials cost increases. Having to think twice as already an expensive project!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I would want to be on site for as much as possible, it is amazing what you could live through during such a project. Running water, a comfy bed and the ability to use an oven should be manageable for a few weeks. There will not be many projects that impact the use of the existing property for much longer than a few weeks

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Have your costs gone through the roof? We are having work done next March and already talk of 5 - 20% materials cost increases. Having to think twice as already an expensive project!

I've heard that but we've not to to the "getting quotes" stage yet.

I would want to be on site for as much as possible, it is amazing what you could live through during such a project. Running water, a comfy bed and the ability to use an oven should be manageable for a few weeks. There will not be many projects that impact the use of the existing property for much longer than a few weeks

Kitchen and bathroom both coming out and being moved. Staying is not an option.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Being on site will increase your stress levels. I would deff rent an apartment.

This. And builders hate being micro managed. Yes keep an eye on the build but nothing p1sses off tradesmen as much as when someone questions every little thing because 'their mate said' or they saw some video on YT.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
We are going to be having a lot of work done to our house and will have to move out for a few weeks.
As far as I can see our options are rent a flat or buy a caravan and live on site.

The advantage of a caravan is that we will be on site and if it overruns we have flexibility.
The advantage of a flat is that it's not a caravan.

Anyone done it and can offer advice/experience.

Comments along the lines of "You palace p*key" most welcome
Travel lodge approx £900 for 3 weeks cheaper than renting.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I imagine the OP has got through this by now?

Be good if he let us know which route he went down

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here