Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Simone Biles

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Morgan has millions of followers and using his Twitter platform to call out people with mental health issues is the lowest of the low. She got 27 gold medals - in all championships - FFS. Its hardly like she is a serial bottle job merchant who phones in hungover to avoid the night shift in a factory.

This was a good summary for me

Please don’t think I’m having a go at you, but even the phrase bottle job, is awful. I know it can be used in fun between mates, but when used in public about someone who isn’t even known to us, is very negative.
In the past, coaches have bullied sports people with such phrases.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The first thing I thought when I watched Simone Biles pull out was for her wellbeing. The second thought was wondering how long it would be before Piers Morgan had a go at her.

A bit like Trump, I'm not sure whether he actually believes or thinks the things he tweets out, but the world would definitely be a better place if he didn't. The trouble is, Morgan would have far less exposure if he wasn't so 'controversial', which would be devastating for him and his ego.

As for Simone Biles, read up on what she's been through in her life and you realise that she was probably at breaking point and pulling out of the Olympics would certainly not have been a decision that she took lightly. I never understand people who think they understand more about what someone else is going through than the person themselves. Or even why their negative opinion should carry any weight. They're not exactly helping the situation, are they?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How a CJTC like Piers Morgan can call her out when he stormed off because a weatherman had a go at him is beyond me.

I have to say I'm really shocked to hear Piers Morgan have a go at a successful, talented, young black woman.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He’s an odious prick of a man.

The first thing I thought when I watched Simone Biles pull out was for her wellbeing. The second thought was wondering how long it would be before Piers Morgan had a go at her.

A bit like Trump, I'm not sure whether he actually believes or thinks the things he tweets out, but the world would definitely be a better place if he didn't. The trouble is, Morgan would have far less exposure if he wasn't so 'controversial', which would be devastating for him and his ego.

I really wish we could all agree to collectively just ignore him.

It would be the worst thing to ever happen to him.

D

Deleted member 2719

Bile could of course just not be on her A-game due to lack of respect to her competitors around her as she has been so much on top of the world and realised she was in for a kicking???

I just hope it isn't a form of brat-ism.

No one will truly know, only her, let's home she finds top gear again, whether it be mentally or physically, or more and likely both.

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
Bile could of course just not be on her A-game due to lack of respect to her competitors around her as she has been so much on top of the world and realised she was in for a kicking???

No one will truly know, only her, let's home she finds top gear again, whether it be mentally or physically, or more and likely both.

The ace up the sleeve?

A couple of real tossers on this thread and you are one of them :shrug:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Indeed - or cite a physical injury to stop a lot of the finger pointing that has gone on since her decision.

Cricket went through a spell of this with Trescothick, Yardy, Trott etc.. It seems that what support has been put in place in terms of breaks away and changing tour schedules has helped. Lets hope other sports can follow and treat and understand mental health as well as they do with physical wellbeing

How a CJTC like Piers Morgan can call her out when he stormed off because a weatherman had a go at him is beyond me.

Morgan's sickening grandstanding on Twitter was awful and unforgiveable. I hope Twitter close his account to prevent any more of his disgusting behaviour on the platform.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There was a really moving piece on this on BBC Breakfast when Chris Mears, who won the Synchro diving gold medal in Rio with Jack Laugher, was talking with Dan Walker and Sam Quek about mental health. He suffered severe depression for quite a while after winning his medal. He got into a "where next?" fix and just couldn't shift himself. In the end, it was his stepmother's (his own mother died when he was three) breast cancer diagnosis that helped him back onto an even keel, as he realised he had to be there for her (I think he said she had recovered). He was talking about the importance of men being open about their feelings. I suppose certain individuals would just say, "come on son, you've won a medal, pull yourself together".

Regarding the risks of gymnastics, Sam mentioned a competitor who was expected to win medals who overdid a leap and landed badly, was very seriously injured and died from her injuries (at least I think I've got the details right). So it is not a risk-free sport.

I can see that after achieving your goal, the very high in the moment, can lead to a massive down turn in mood and mental health. Most of these Olympian's work damn hard, hidden from the public, have their moment of fame and then disappear again with almost anonymity.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Prior to this Olympics, Simone Biles made gymnastics look easy. The events of the last few days have shown that it is NOT easy. Executing at the key moment after 4 years of preparation is not easy.

Fair play to her for taking it on the chin and not feigning injury as an excuse.

I suspect the fact she is older (24) and her teammates are younger than her (20, 18, 18) and counting on her to deliver has added to the pressure she was feeling. Previously, she had been in the same group with people her own age for 5 or 6 years.

Questions will be asked of the US Gymnastics selectors and coaches as to how this situation was allowed to develop.

Another disappointing thing about this story is how it has completely overshadowed events taking place in the arena. GB have won a women's team medal for the first time in 93 years and they're not getting a look-in; this is a huge thing and could be inspiring so many young girls in this country onto great things, but all we are talking about is Simone Biles' mental health.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
no one will truly know.

realised she was in for a kicking

and likely both.

'Nobody knows... except that I think I do'

Not sure if you've done any background reading, but if you have you'll understand that whie we may not 'know', there's not exactly any shortage of reasons to believe what she says. Not least the fact that it would have been far far easier (avoiding the attention seeking comments and sneers from the likes of you and Piers Morgan) to have blamed her lack of form on something else.

But in your mind it's her being a brat

Righto

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Agreed - actually all became evident yesterday though when she pulled out of the team event......it was interesting to hear her speak when interviewed. Very courageous decision - easy option would have been to keep quiet and carry on.

When you can't trust what you are doing in gymnastics you can get very seriously injured. She couldn't trust herself to be able to complete her routines and made absolutely the right decision to withdraw.

Simone Biles is a remarkable woman - she came out publicly while she was in the media spotlight to highlight the abuse that she and other athletes had been subjected to by her team doctor - and she has continued to highlight how athletes (particularly young female athletes) can be abused by coaches and support staff.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The ace card up the sleeve these days ?

Regards
DF

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - we need the old 'thumbs down' back.......

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I have to say I'm really shocked to hear Piers Morgan have a go at a successful, talented, young black woman.

I know, it's almost as surprising as certain NSC regulars cropping up in this thread to have a go at the same successful, talented, young black woman.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[MENTION=6886]we need the old 'thumbs down' back.......

Given the warm welcome, the support and the encouragement the latter poster has received on the running thread I find his post particularly disappointing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can see that after achieving your goal, the very high in the moment, can lead to a massive down turn in mood and mental health. Most of these Olympian's work damn hard, hidden from the public, have their moment of fame and then disappear again with almost anonymity.

yeah bt u can always just count youre money and then your happy again stupid rich peoploe prentending to hav feelings

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I haven't been on there much as I'm on the partially-crocked bench with zero mojo atm.....................

I'm on the gout-and-kidney-stones-fed-up-of-not-being-able-to-exercise-and-eating-utter-crap bench. :thumbsup:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Thats piss poor even for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Brat-ism? Please could you expand on that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here