Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mwepu at right wing back?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Our new Enock has played 40 times in Europe at right midfielder or right back. It doesn’t take a computer whizz to calculate that Mr Potter may well have plans for the new boy on the right side of our formation.

If ‘Veltman’ is the new ‘White’ at RCB, surely there has to be some consideration that with Lamptey’s return to EPL action unclear, the man from Zambia would have the game to fill in. He can hit a brilliant through ball and is adept at the high pressure. I think this fella will be squeezed into the team, even with Biss remaining at the club.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It’s going to be interesting. Playing he, Gross and Lallana together might be a tricky fit but I’m pretty sure Mwepu will start more often than not. Porter will pull some surprises out of the hat no doubt.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes I've been thinking of that since the signing. White is probably quite simply going to be replaced by Veltman and Lamptey is not playing anywhere near 30 games this season. Potter has always said that young players shouldnt play more than once a week (slower recovery due to not being fully grown men, simply). Daniel James for instance rested a lot when it wasnt "sensible" to do so in the Swansea season. But Lamptey got a bit too important and central to a style and probably because of the pressure of every game in the PL, Lamptey might have been matched too hard. Because of some learning through this, I dont thin any chances will be taken with Lamptey, which includes that even when returning to 100% fit, he wont play every game like he did for a while.

Veltman did well last season (especially defensively as he is more willing than able going forward) but if we imagine him moving into central defense, its quite logical if the club sees Mwepu as the new mainly RWB/utility player. I would imagine we could see him there (to be completely honest I havent seen him enough though), because its not sensible to have signed him in solely his midfield spot considering the number of options. I thought the club was looking for a Maitland-Niles (capable of playing in 3-4 positions) and Mwepu could be that.

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
Our new Enock has played 40 times in Europe at right midfielder or right back. It doesn’t take a computer whizz to calculate that Mr Potter may well have plans for the new boy on the right side of our formation.

If ‘Veltman’ is the new ‘White’ at RCB, surely there has to be some consideration that with Lamptey’s return to EPL action unclear, the man from Zambia would have the game to fill in. He can hit a brilliant through ball and is adept at the high pressure. I think this fella will be squeezed into the team, even with Biss remaining at the club.

Or maybe 4 at the back with veltman and burn at lb and rb if solly and/or tariq doubtful. Ostigard might just slot in to a 3 too if needed We also have a lot of options in midfield with mwepu and moder both capable of playing in a 2 or 3 with or without biss. GP has a much more versatile squad now and will surprise us. What a fantastic bunch of players we have.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think more likely is that Solly goes RWB in a set up 3 like ......

.....Veltman Dunk Webster
March ... Biss Mwepu .....Burn

Second most likely is Veltman goes RBW, Burn slots into LCB and Moder comes in at LWB

Third most likely is Gross RWB

Fourth most likely Mwepu

As ever, a very high degree of uncertainty and much will depend on fitness of centre backs.

Keep a close eye on the Getafe match for some sort of clue

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think more likely is that Solly goes RWB in a set up 3 like ......

.....Veltman Dunk Webster
March ... Biss Mwepu .....Burn

Second most likely is Veltman goes RBW, Burn slots into LCB and Moder comes in at LWB

Third most likely is Gross RWB

Fourth most likely Mwepu

As ever, a very high degree of uncertainty and much will depend on fitness of centre backs.

Keep a close eye on the Getafe match for some sort of clue

You seem to have completely ignored the input from one

bingo-game-cage-on-white-260nw-250775869.jpg

G Potter ???

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
5th most likely is Livramento or some other new signing in that position. Though its clear we're short of cover in the wide areas

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Are we not still after this young lad from Chelsea academy? Maybe he'll alternate with Lamptey.

I think ‘young lads’ straight into the 1st team is still rare and hard to achieve. We’ve been spoiled with Lamptey, Sanchez and Moder but normally, they need to be 23ish and have done the sort of multiple loan development Ben White was put through.

I’d love it if you’re right though as this lad was seen a Chelsea’s brightest young star last season.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Thought Mwepu was meant to be an attacking midfielder?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Could be, but you're expressing the dominant view on here that we'll predominantly play a back three/five next season. I'm not entirely sure that will be the case. We'll see soon enough.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Thought Mwepu was meant to be an attacking midfielder?

Aye just this week he described himself as a number 8 or 10 at a push. One of his biggest assets seems to be his ability to play through balls through the middle.
But let’s play him at RWB when we already have about 15 players we’ve played there.
I hope Mwepu gets to play in his strongest position- it often works better that way.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
On a related note, I can see us playing a 433 (or 4321) formation a fair bit next season, with Biss and Mwepu probably the first picks given their dynamism, and Moder/Gross/Alzate/Lallana as other options.
Back four of Veltman, Webster, Dunk and March/Cucurella/Burn, especially when Lamptey isn't available.
Front three shared between Maupay, Welbeck, Trossard, Lallana, Gross, MacAllister and AN Other.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Could be, but you're expressing the dominant view on here that we'll predominantly play a back three/five next season. I'm not entirely sure that will be the case. We'll see soon enough.

If we keep Biss we could play a back 4 with Biss and Mwepu in the middle.
Something like...
Veltman Webster Dunk March
Mwepu Biss
Gross Lallana Tross
Striker

Looks very, very strong to me.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Aye just this week he described himself as a number 8 or 10 at a push. One of his biggest assets seems to be his ability to play through balls through the middle.
But let’s play him at RWB when we already have about 15 players we’ve played there.
I hope Mwepu gets to play on his strongest position- it often works better that way.

Would be a very Potter thing to play him out of position!

(That's an observation, not a criticism :thumbsup:)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You get to play right wing back! You get to play right wing back! You get to play right wing back!

giphy.gif

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I hope Mwepu gets to play in his strongest position- it often works better that way.

Strongly agree

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here