Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Storage Heaters

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Hello wise sages of NSC and you lesser lot. :)
I'm looking to replace the old electric storage heaters in our flat, as if I'm honest the ones that we inherited when we purchased the property seem to give out less heat than one of my legendary :shit: Anyhoo, enough of that!
I have been looking on t'internet and am so confused and befuddled by all the information that is out there. I'm wondering if I should stick with more modern storage heaters, go for convection heaters or go the whole hog and get a gas line into the flat and have gas central heating. So many fecking decisions so such an indecisive chap. We run them on Economy 7 during the colder times. Any sensible ( and some not so) ideas and maybe contacts would be much appreciated.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Get gas Central heating , a lot more reliable if you feel the cold . Get British Gas to fit and get their service contract - saved me a fortune over the years . Storage heaters had their day about 30 years ago .

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
4b2584db59951fc90912d9adb69efb4e.jpg

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Get gas Central heating , a lot more reliable if you feel the cold . Get British Gas to fit and get their service contract - saved me a fortune over the years . Storage heaters had their day about 30 years ago .

Get a gas line...end of.

As I have had gas central heating where I have lived in the past this was my first idea. It's really going to come down to budget at the end of the day. I want to see what the cost of replacing the storage heaters with modern ones before looking at gas. I figure to get the gas mains into the flat and someone to supply and fit a boiler and 5 rads will be the best part of £4k - £5k against the cost of supply and fit new heaters.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Aren't we are supposed to be getting rid of gas soon as part of the carbon neutral targets? The storage heaters I have had in the past though were not very good and extremely expensive, dunno what modern ones are like though.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
As I have had gas central heating where I have lived in the past this was my first idea. It's really going to come down to budget at the end of the day. I want to see what the cost of replacing the storage heaters with modern ones before looking at gas. I figure to get the gas mains into the flat and someone to supply and fit a boiler and 5 rads will be the best part of £4k - £5k against the cost of supply and fit new heaters.

I had Storage heaters for 23 years until we moved to a house with gas central heating....bliss.

Your 4-5k quote 'may' be halved by fitting new storage heaters but the saving will soon disappear with running costs.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Aren't we are supposed to be getting rid of gas soon as part of the carbon neutral targets? The storage heaters I have had in the past though were not very good and extremely expensive, dunno what modern ones are like though.

This was another thing that I read on the Web, that the Government want to ban gas boilers in New homes from 2025. I realise that this is new homes and won't directly affect older homes like mine but it did add another layer of doubt in my reasoning for gas central heating.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

Surely they'd have to use the same pipework though? I had a gas leak the other year and it took them 6 hours to dig up my front garden and lay a new pipe from the road, that was using the old pipes to feed through as well. Neighbours were a bit p***ed off at a jack hammer starting at 2am. :down:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

there's no new tech im aware of, heat up some heat absorbing bricks and let the heat back out. this is the (cold and expensive) future.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hello wise sages of NSC and you lesser lot. :)
I'm looking to replace the old electric storage heaters in our flat, as if I'm honest the ones that we inherited when we purchased the property seem to give out less heat than one of my legendary :shit: Anyhoo, enough of that!
I have been looking on t'internet and am so confused and befuddled by all the information that is out there. I'm wondering if I should stick with more modern storage heaters, go for convection heaters or go the whole hog and get a gas line into the flat and have gas central heating. So many fecking decisions so such an indecisive chap. We run them on Economy 7 during the colder times. Any sensible ( and some not so) ideas and maybe contacts would be much appreciated.

We've got Dimplex SH that run on E7.
They'll eventually need replacing, and we've been looking at their Quantum range, write ups look good :)

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
We've got Dimplex SH that run on E7.
They'll eventually need replacing, and we've been looking at their Quantum range, write ups look good :)

Cheers. I've had a peep at the Quantum range and although one of the pricier ranges I do like the look of them and they are one which we would consider.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Another company you might have a look at is WARM.
They are a German company that have super slim black glass type units with digital controls.
I was looking a few months ago and they looked very sleek with good reviews.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Another company you might have a look at is WARM.
They are a German company that have super slim black glass type units with digital controls.
I was looking a few months ago and they looked very sleek with good reviews.

Thank you, will have a look.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here