Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Could the Ashes in Australia be delayed by 12 months?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
This report caught my attention. It would be amazing if we could be allowed to visit Australia to watch the Ashes.
The glacial pace that Australia seem to be moving with their vaccination programme makes me think they are still unlikely to let us into the country in November 2022. But at the moment I will cling onto any hope there might be.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57156642

"One solution could be for the series to be delayed by a year, with England instead touring Pakistan, where they are due to visit in late 2022.

That would tie in with a T20 World Cup due to be held in Australia in the autumn of 2022, but would require Australia to reschedule Tests against other opponents."

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
This report caught my attention. It would be amazing if we could be allowed to visit Australia to watch the Ashes.
The glacial pace that Australia seem to be moving with their vaccination programme makes me think they are still unlikely to let us into the country in November 2022. But at the moment I will cling onto any hope there might be.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57156642

"One solution could be for the series to be delayed by a year, with England instead touring Pakistan, where they are due to visit in late 2022.

That would tie in with a T20 World Cup due to be held in Australia in the autumn of 2022, but would require Australia to reschedule Tests against other opponents."

Personally, I'd rather go to watch them in Pakistan.

I am though, a bit mad.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Also, how many players will go if their families are not allowed in?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Moving it might be a blessing. Right now I think we are in for a tonking.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Should be, imho. Not fair on the players to put them through a mental challenge like that while expecting them to be at the top of their game.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I think they should be delayed. I absolutely love the Ashes but I'm totally fed up of watching sport without spectators

Tillo

Sep 1, 2007
NSW
If anybody is seriously contemplating trying to get to Oz for the Ashes, please be aware that there there are presently massive caps on how many travellers including Australians are allowed into the country each week ( Presently 3070 for the whole country ) and this has led to massive prices and many cancelled flights at short notice and then there is the risk of state’s slamming the borders shut on the other states and territories if there are COVID outbreaks so even if you get into the country and have done your 14 day quarantine , you could get stuck and not be able to go to the next state , the last test is in Perth and WA are super strict in this respect so if you organised a flight home from there and are in Sydney NSW for the 4th test , it could end in tears, obviously this is based on the present but likely to be the same or worse the way things are going

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Reports like this won't help (DT this morning) :

Australia's vaccine rollout has been "a colossal failure" because the government failed to buy enough vaccines so its borders are therefore likely to remain closed until at least early 2022, former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull has said.

Mr Turnbull said the Australian government, led by under-fire Prime Minister Scott Morrison, had failed to buy enough vaccines, only securing enough AstraZeneca shots even though there was considerable hesitancy over that vaccine and not buying enough alternatives.

"It's the biggest failure of public administration I can recall," said Mr Turnbull, who served as prime minister from 2015-2018 before being ousted by Mr Morrison in a party room coup. Only 16 percent of Australians aged over 16 years so far fully vaccinated.

"It was a colossal failure and the problem is you can't wind the clock back and fix what should have been done last year. The very reason we are locked down - which is so frustrating when so many other parts of the world are opening up - is simply because our government failed to buy enough vaccines," he told the BBC.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No. If Australia can't hold it safely they should forfeit.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Reports like this won't help (DT this morning) :

Australia's vaccine rollout has been "a colossal failure" because the government failed to buy enough vaccines so its borders are therefore likely to remain closed until at least early 2022, former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull has said.

Mr Turnbull said the Australian government, led by under-fire Prime Minister Scott Morrison, had failed to buy enough vaccines, only securing enough AstraZeneca shots even though there was considerable hesitancy over that vaccine and not buying enough alternatives.

"It's the biggest failure of public administration I can recall," said Mr Turnbull, who served as prime minister from 2015-2018 before being ousted by Mr Morrison in a party room coup. Only 16 percent of Australians aged over 16 years so far fully vaccinated.

"It was a colossal failure and the problem is you can't wind the clock back and fix what should have been done last year. The very reason we are locked down - which is so frustrating when so many other parts of the world are opening up - is simply because our government failed to buy enough vaccines," he told the BBC.

So the problem isn't not enough vaccines but that they won't take AZ.

We would have had a similar problem.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

NZ are in a similar position I think - even fewer there having had the vaccine (12.8% fully jabbed according to WHO). I don't get the strategy - closing borders to limit the impact made sense, but not progressing with an aggressive vaccine strategy at the same time leaves them stuck between a rock and a hard place.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
there will be a ****ing proper kerfuffle if you lot are allowed in here before the Australian public are allowed to travel overseas , our Federal Lib/Nat government is a bloody disgrace , a mixture of corrupt bible bashers and mysoginistic , piss pot agriculture millionaires , the cricket will go ahead probably but i doubt you'll be allowed to travel , nothing would surprise me though.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

the problem is AZ was originally for over 40's , they then had a few clotting issues and the AMA and the TGBA came out with recommendations that AZ be used for over 50's then changed it's mind a few days later and said AZ should be used for over 60's Morrison argued vehemently against this medical advice , some say to save face , some say because he and many other politicians are heavy investors in CSL who manufacture the AZ vaccine ...........the result is a total loss of trust in the government and just about everything that comes out of their mouths , Labour run states W.A , QLD and Victoria have been slagged off and belittled by the Libs for closing the borders , locking down when cases emerge and enforcing quarantine for incoming travellers , now we have Sydney in the midst of an outbreak with most of the city under hard lockdown and people are extremely unhappy with the State Liberal govt and Morrison for sticking his oar in ....he has been caught out time and time again lying and back-pedalling.

The Fed Govt. has now ordered 85 million doses of Pfizer ( our pop. is under 27 million) and the unwanted AZ is being sent to Indonesia , PNG , Fiji and Micronesia .......it is appearing to anyone who is paying attention that it is just all about money to these pricks and plenty of people have had a gut full of it.

AMA Australian Medical Assoc. TGBA Therapeutic Goods Board of Aus.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I think tour Pakistan, then do it on the back of the 2022 T20 World Cup, incidentally is that well before the FIFA World Cup, otherwise we are going to have a lot of live sport to watch in a short time? T20, World Cup then Ashes....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here