Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Worst journalist/pundit predictions in footballing history

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I was just watching this video on how a selection of British newspapers reported England’s Euro 2020 campaign.

It struck me how many predictions so-called experts make turn out to be completely wrong. Some highlighted in the video are:

- Rio Ferdinand slating Maguire’s inclusion in the squad due to him not being fit for the first game
- Some pundits picking Turkey as their dark horses to do well in the tournament
- The almost universal prediction that France would win Euro 2020 (granted it’s understandable)
- Souness writing England off after the Scotland game

It got me thinking about some of the worst predictions made by pundits in footballing history. What’s yours? Did the journalists/pundits in question ever eat humble pie or did they act as if they’d never made the comment in the first place? What’s the worst ones made about Albion?

The instant one that strikes me is Jake Humphries re: Norwich a couple of seasons ago (made to the detriment of Albion). I forgive him for it and granted he is usually very complimentary about us.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"None of the pundits pick England to win". Well, they got that prediction spot on, didn't they? :lol:

To be fair, I think most people would say that England over-achieved during Euro 2020. But pundits getting stuff wrong is nothing new – I'm not sure it needs a 23-minute video to prove that! Especially not when it comes to the national press. In a lot of cases, they'll print a lot of old guff to get people wearing their England shirts, painting their faces and waving their flags. It's all forgotten weeks later.

A few seasons back (might have been Potter's first season), one football website – can't remember which one, possibly Football365? – had all of its contributors make predictions and EVERY SINGLE ONE said Brighton would be relegated. When it didn't happen, I tagged the outlet in a tweet asking for some form of explanation on how/why they ALL got it wrong, but just got :tumble:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The instant one that strikes me is Jake Humphries re: Norwich a couple of seasons ago (made to the detriment of Albion). I forgive him for it and granted he is usually very complimentary about us.

Sadly though that won't stop incredibly small, and I really mean sub atomically small, 'adult' men, retweeting him if IF the Albion were to finally beat a 'weak' Premier League side in Norwich.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
A few seasons back (might have been Potter's first season), one football website – can't remember which one, possibly Football365? – had all of its contributors make predictions and EVERY SINGLE ONE said Brighton would be relegated. When it didn't happen, I tagged the outlet in a tweet asking for some form of explanation on how/why they ALL got it wrong, but just got :tumble:

And I imagine in that situation if one of the writers had replied and said “fair do’s, I got this one completely wrong”, we’d instantly back down as we’re all human and most of us are forgiving if people have made a mistake and hold their hands up. It’s the convenient acting like it never happened and hoping everyone forgets that is frustrating!

The Turkey one made me laugh in Euro 2020. In my opinion they were even worse than North Macedonia!

Having said that, I’m sure somebody could probably take the time and dig up where I said it was a very real possibility we’d end up with 28 points last season... :moo:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Predictive punditry is just opinions based on some facts (when the pundit bothers to do research) and judgement (aka whim, and 'what he said'). It doesn't interest me at all, unless I feel it has triggered a false price (albeit I rarely bet). Who gives a stuff what retired players, and presenters with a degree in media from Neasdon Polytechnic or (back in the day) a third in PPE from Cambridge and a dad who knows the Director General, so-called 'think'?

I'd rather read bw2's opinion* about whether or not we need a striker.

*Kidding! I'd rather gnaw off my left testicle.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Predictive punditry is just opinions based on some facts (when the pundit bothers to do research) and judgement (aka whim, and 'what he said'). It doesn't interest me at all, unless I feel it has triggered a false price (albeit I rarely bet). Who gives a stuff what retired players, and presenters with a degree in media from Neasdon Polytechnic or (back in the day) a third in PPE from Cambridge and a dad who knows the Director General, so-called 'think'?

Tuning into sports channels at KO time, I get to avoid all the waffle.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyway. Eventually we will be relegated so, stand by for when it happens, and the likes of Merson, that other one who isn't an alcoholic, and the taciturn jock one to tell us that 'as predicted' etc etc. :facepalm:

In other news, questions are being prepared about why someone who so doesn't give a shit about it has posted twice about the futility of predictive punditry.

I'll get my sheepskin coat.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I remember England playing a match in 1998 when Owen equalised against Romania. The commentator, referring to England, said that there was only one team that was going to win the match.

Romania scored again to win.

In fairness, cricket is my special subject. I often call things that need to be changed before a captain does them, or suggest a fielding change that needs to be made, doesn't, and a wicket is missed.

But even then it is impossible to tell for sure. A batsman who looks set does a silly thing etc. So I have sympathy. More use of the phrase 'as it stands' is a good get out !

But reading anything into what bookies say or magazines/media predicts is silly. It's one person's view no more valid than anyone else. When someone comes rushing to NSC to post that someone has said something really positive/negative in a prediction form for Albion it can occasionally come across as a little bit needy.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

What you actually mean is that you would rather belittle and try to correct some strangers grammar on the Internet.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I recall Glen Hoddle's Talksport opinion on England v Italy in the final of this years Euros.... " Italy have already peaked this tournament, their ageing central defence will be no match for Kane, Sterling and Forden......they will be dragged out of position and overrun by England. "

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What you actually mean is that you would rather belittle and try to correct some strangers grammar on the Internet.

Does it? ???

Thanks for the insight. I will sleep easy tonight, now :thumbsup:

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
I remember England playing a match in 1998 when Owen equalised against Romania. The commentator, referring to England, said that there was only one team that was going to win the match.

Romania scored again to win.

I was there and still haven’t forgiven Phil Neville!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't know if it counts as punditry, but I'm sure I've read somewhere someone saying that if we don't sign a £40M 20 goals a season striker they'll scweam and scw ............ err, no, cut that last bit ........ if we don't sign a £40M twenty goals a season striker we are doomed and will certainly be relegated, probably by Christmas!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't know if it counts as punditry, but I'm sure I've read somewhere someone saying that if we don't sign a £40M 20 goals a season striker they'll scweam and scw ............ err, no, cut that last bit ........ if we don't sign a £40M twenty goals a season striker we are doomed and will certainly be relegated, probably by Christmas!

I do the Violet Elizabeth Bott jokes round here, OK, grand dad? ???

:wink:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here