Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Advice - Season Ticket Sharing

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It is not against the law. No problem with permission from club as Terms and Cond of 1901 show

Yes. Agree - I meant the ad hoc or casual passing on of a named ST without the clubs knowledge or agreement. I think 1901 are different as they are sold as corporate hospitality packages, giving the buyer the flexibility to invite guests, for which they pay a hefty premium.

As I said above, the one thing I think we all agree on is that the laws around football tickets are absurd and outdated and a throwback to an age when fans routinely fought pitched battles in stadiums.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
That's the conclusion I came to - although the new system doesn't suit us (we attend most games anyway) I suspect it's better for the majority (ie allowing formal sharing on a regular basis), and the club (a bit more revenue, and no ability to hand over tickets to unknowns). It's the very occasional handing over to a pal (previously not allowed but a blind eye turned to it) that's been stopped - it's a pity (from a purely selfish perspective) this couldn't have been accommodated within the new procedures (even if it was the ability to upgrade an adult ST to a 'full price' ticket for one game to a non-member in the same way a concessionary ticket can still be) but the club feel they have enough options in place to suit most circumstances.

Yes - it’s fair enough in that respect.

What I don’t get though is why at virtually all other clubs (many with bigger ground capacity) you can just transfer your ticket via their apps/ website at no cost?

£20 to do this is just prohibitive and wrong in my book. I really think this is a mistake by the club. You’ve paid full whack for your ticket which is already in the club’s coffers but they want more money if you don’t use it….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
One problem with this idea is that it will certainly put people off going to their first game. How many people on here went to their first game on someone else's ticket and got hooked? If the price for that first game had been £48.50, they might not have gone.

And to state the bleeding obvious, you can't become a regular till you've been to your first game.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
One problem with this idea is that it will certainly put people off going to their first game. How many people on here went to their first game on someone else's ticket and got hooked? If the price for that first game had been £48.50, they might not have gone.

And to state the bleeding obvious, you can't become a regular till you've been to your first game.

Times change.

Folks thought this when it became impossible for sprogs to sneak under the turnstile. The lesson is, if you want PL football, you accept the commercial consequences.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes - it’s fair enough in that respect.

What I don’t get though is why at virtually all other clubs (many with bigger ground capacity) you can just transfer your ticket via their apps/ website at no cost?

£20 to do this is just prohibitive and wrong in my book. I really think this is a mistake by the club. You’ve paid full whack for your ticket which is already in the club’s coffers but they want more money if you don’t use it….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As it’s discounted, I wish they would allow an upgrade of an adult ST to a ‘normal price’ matchday ticket at least (oddly you can still do this to a non-member with a kid’s season ticket). Could then easily take an occasional (non member) pal and sit together.

Prime example - we can only use one of our tickets for the Leicester game, and have relatives here one of whom would love to go but has no interest in being a member as won’t go to any more games - only way I can use the ticket for him is to pay an extra £48 on top of the £30 or so it’s already cost.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Times change.

Folks thought this when it became impossible for sprogs to sneak under the turnstile. The lesson is, if you want PL football, you accept the commercial consequences.
That's pretty much my point. Season ticket turnover is surprisingly high - about 10% per year typically, though probably less in PL years - but those numbers need to be replaced year on year. Making it more expensive for first-timers to get on will have short term gains, but may also have long-term costs.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
That's pretty much my point. Season ticket turnover is surprisingly high - about 10% per year typically, though probably less in PL years - but those numbers need to be replaced year on year. Making it more expensive for first-timers to get on will have short term gains, but may also have long-term costs.

I'm not so sure. The clubs seem confident too that they will be able to rid themselves of STs and pricey kit despite constantly upsetting the old school. I detest all of this, but if you cant beat 'em......

Someone has to help pay the bills.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As it’s discounted, I wish they would allow an upgrade of an adult ST to a ‘normal price’ matchday ticket at least (oddly you can still do this to a non-member with a kid’s season ticket). Could then easily take an occasional (non member) pal and sit together.

Prime example - we can only use one of our tickets for the Leicester game, and have relatives here one of whom would love to go but has no interest in being a member as won’t go to any more games - only way I can use the ticket for him is to pay an extra £48 on top of the £30 or so it’s already cost.

Put it on the exchange and buy it back then charge him the difference between the pro rata season ticket price and the full price (assuming you weren't going to charge him the pro rata price anyway).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Put it on the exchange and buy it back then charge him the difference between the pro rata season ticket price and the full price (assuming you weren't going to charge him the pro rata price anyway).

Thought of that….but can’t assume the exchange will be open, and even if it is that the ticket goes on immediately (I know in the past they haven’t always done so) or pops up later and someone else takes it. Kind of my point though - club could get the same revenue by simply allowing me to pay the difference on the seat :shrug:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Borrowing a ticket off an existing season ticket holder for a one off visit happens and fair enough some will be put off by the changes but it must be just one of dozens of ways first timers or casual fans go to the Albion (friendlies, cup games, general sale, family season tickets, upgrades, season ticket guests, even part of corporate boxes) .

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Hope I am wrong but with a 1300 STs still available may find sell outs are not so frequent. I have often bought guest tickets because I wanted to thank someone but if I find I have to ask about a phone or obtain copy of passport I will not bother. I think club will have to get back to making it as easy as possible for everyone to go to Albion.
Have stated before I have attended with guest Wimbledon,,Lords, and Hove cricket with no fuss

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Suspect next season the club would be happy if only 90% full, makes the travel and turnstiles easier to manage with all the changes.

Having loads of one timers trying to enter and find seats not going to help them.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Suspect next season the club would be happy if only 90% full, makes the travel and turnstiles easier to manage with all the changes.

Having loads of one timers trying to enter and find seats not going to help them.

A memory that has stuck in my head as it amused me at the time: it's 3/4 of the way through the season and a steward is helping a fan find his seat. The fan has a season ticket in his hand! Think he'd know where his seat was by then. :wink:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
If my friend wants to go instead of me could they sign in to my Google pay account on their phone?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

The ground certainly won't be 90% full in August or September this year. It never is.

Jay White

Banned
Jul 26, 2021
If my friend wants to go instead of me could they sign in to my Google pay account on their phone?
thats why i wonder if the new format just transfers the ticket shared 'problem' from one format to another. Will this id be followed through on match day one off purchase, doubt it many will not bother and how can the low stewards check all pics id on entry its go against purpose no handling and is impractical. If you lend your phone to a friend and they show this at the scanner who knows its not the real person no one. As someone else said on forum scarp this!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Isn't the ticket downloaded to the device ? Because each ticket can only be downloaded once (according to the FAQ) I guess it would work if you hadn't downloaded the ticket...........just the ID check to negotiate then (assuming you're happy to risk losing your ST and taking a long ban if found out ?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here