Votes: 13 25.5%
  • A bit of both...

Votes: 18 35.3%

• Total voters

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Only a thread like this emerges during the Summer break as we all go stir crazy, but it's something Peter Kay or the like would have in his routine I'm sure... ???

Walking through Tesco car park earlier and noticed a young/old divide I'd never picked up on before.

When locking a car with the remote/key fob older people tend to very deliberately hold out the key and point it at the car when pressing the button. Younger people seem to pay no attention and just press the button wherever they're holding the key (or fob).

Do we even know we're doing this?!

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
No idea. But I do know that if you point the key at your head, the range extends massively. I promise, I'm not making that up. Easy experiement to prove.

I'm sure I remember Clarkson doing that. I tried it. It works :eek:

Missed opportunity for a poll answer there.. :glare:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Only a thread like this emerges during the Summer break as we all go stir crazy, but it's something Peter Kay or the like would have in his routine I'm sure... ???

Walking through Tesco car park earlier and noticed a young/old divide I'd never picked up on before.

When locking a car with the remote/key fob older people tend to very deliberately hold out the key and point it at the car when pressing the button. Younger people seem to pay no attention and just press the button wherever they're holding the key (or fob).

Also, when locking the car with the fob, does anyone else also deadlock the car? That is, lock it so that even if someone smashes the window they can't unlock the door from the inside?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Slightly unrelated, but with most modern car keys have the ability to simultaneously wind down all of the windows by pressing unlock, releasing it and then holding it down again for a few seconds.

I discovered this accidentally, after I had laid on the floor whilst getting my baby son to sleep one night and must have inadvertently performed the above procedure. I awoke to a frost-bitten car interior and a whole host of confusion.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
There also seems to be a common habit of triggering the boot opening when you are still a fair distance from the car.

Whilst we have one on our current car I have to say automatic boot opening and closing is one of the most pointless and laziest features of modern car design.

boik

There also seems to be a common habit of triggering the boot opening when you are still a fair distance from the car.

Whilst we have one on our current car I have to say automatic boot opening and closing is one of the most pointless and laziest features of modern car design.

Loads of pointless stuff in modern cars. Some seats now have 7 or 8 separate motors in them as well as heating elements. Cars could be some much lighter, cheaper and more fuel efficient if people were so desperate to impress others.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I put the key in the lock and turn it.

Tis hard work/

I use my arm to lift my boot also.

My next car will be a classic model with a new engine. I can't be doing with all the gadgety shit that costs a fortune to fix when it ****s up.

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
I always point the key fob at the car, press it twice and check the lights flash both times.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Whatever happened to putting the key in the lock and turning, taking the key out, then pulling the door handle to ensure the door was locked.
And with certain cars, using any car key to open the doors.

Any way back to todays techno world, I point the fob at the car push the lock button, watch the door mirrors fold in, then walk away,

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
I drive a 2003 Polo. Opens with a key, no electric windows, no air-conditioning, emissions light permanently stuck on, stereo is broken, when it rains the back seats get wet. Number plate probably worth more than the car.

Anybody drive anything sh!tter?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Quite often do journeys now without taking the key out of my pocket, so it’s definitely the sly in-pocket button press for me. Interestingly though, I’ve noticed that without the Jedi laser pointing I’m far likely to stop a couple of minutes later and ask myself if I locked the car, because there’s no ‘obvious’ action to recall.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Looking away, but I glance round to check the wing mirrors have folded.

A builder friend of mine mentioned a contractor he knew, who unfathomably one day couldn’t quite get his van locking to work when nipping into a supermarket to get a sandwich.

On his return 5 minutes later, the van had been completely emptied of £1k’s of tools.

(Scummers no doubt using a blocker. A Faraday key wallet prevents that).

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Quite often do journeys now without taking the key out of my pocket, so it’s definitely the sly in-pocket button press for me. Interestingly though, I’ve noticed that without the Jedi laser pointing I’m far likely to stop a couple of minutes later and ask myself if I locked the car, because there’s no ‘obvious’ action to recall.

This is me, too (surely classified as an oldie now).

I used to get really confused as to how to check it was locked. I’d always done the “pull the handle” option, but this now just unlocks it again. Glad the mirrors retract to give me a clue.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oldie but my fairly recent car has remote lock and opening. Car has a button on the door handle. Press button on door hand to lock and fold mirrors. Press button on door handle to open. Car starts on a push button so key never leaves my pocket. Result!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My son gave me my car, it doesn’t have remote locking, I have to physically lock/ unlock it with an actual key!

I really miss the remote, and I walk away from it, without locking , at least once a week.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Whatever happened to putting the key in the lock and turning, taking the key out, then pulling the door handle to ensure the door was locked.
And with certain cars, using any car key to open the doors.

Any way back to todays techno world, I point the fob at the car push the lock button, watch the door mirrors fold in, then walk away,

I'm living in the future's techno world. I lock my car by throwing a pencil in its general direction.

All the squares with their buttons and fobs :facepalm:

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
My car doesn’t have a key. It’s unlocked by my phone (Bluetooth I think) when I’m close to the car.

It locks itself when I walk away with my phone in my pocket.

Let’s hope I don’t lose my phone!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here