Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Technical help - Surround sound

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Morning

Just had to get a new TV which is a Roku TV.

I use a BT box which has all TV netflix etc and the sound comes through the surround perfect. When I switch to the smart tv menu, and select Roku channel (for example) the sound only comes through TV.

I have 1 hdmi from dvd player/surround sound to TV
1hdmi from BT box to TV.

What am I missing apart from turning it off and on

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Morning

I use a BT box which has all TV netflix etc and the sound comes through the surround perfect. When I switch to the smart tv menu, and select Roku channel (for example) the sound only comes through TV.

1hdmi from BT box to TV.

In my many years of experience in dealing with all things electrical, I have found that if turning it off and then on again fails to resolve the issue, a good thump often does :)

Not even a 5 minute job :)

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Morning

1hdmi from BT box to TV.

Go into the TV settings and have a look to see if Roku has it's own settings menu. It could be that 5.1 is disabled in order to decrease the bandwidth a full-on 4k Dolby Surround film gobbles up.

When you play other inbuilt apps on the TV, do they also come out through just the TV and not surround?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Go into the TV settings and have a look to see if Roku has it's own settings menu. It could be that 5.1 is disabled in order to decrease the bandwidth a full-on 4k Dolby Surround film gobbles up.

When you play other inbuilt apps on the TV, do they also come out through just the TV and not surround?

Everything i play through TV apps comes through TV speakers only. Only comes through surround if I watch through hdmi 1 arc option which is the bt tv box

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Everything i play through TV apps comes through TV speakers only. Only comes through surround if I watch through hdmi 1 arc option which is the bt tv box

How is the BT box connected to the surround sound system?

Sounds like there may be a separate optical/hdmi output on the BT box going directly to the surround system. You will need to do the same with the TV if your surround system has more than one input and then select that input on the surround system to get sound out of the TV apps.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Now you lost me

A Firestick needs to be matched to the sound system of the equipment you use. It's done via the remote, going to settings, adding equipment and follow on screen prompts. As a Roku is a similar system I'm guessing the same applies. Don't shoot me if I'm wrong.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Have you got a "Digital audio out" port on the back of your telly? If you feed your surround sound unit from this it will work with whatever you are watching, if possible use an optical feed from the telly to surround sound unit. I did this from a Samsung T.V. to a Bose unit and it works perfectly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have you got a "Digital audio out" port on the back of your telly? If you feed your surround sound unit from this it will work with whatever you are watching, if possible use an optical feed from the telly to surround sound unit. I did this from a Samsung T.V. to a Bose unit and it works perfectly.

Same here…..optical cable from surround sound master unit to the TV solved this, then change settings on TV to ‘optical output’. Apps, Sky and Xbox all feed direct to surround sound after a slight pause when turning on.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I will give these ideas a go as soon as i get another cable. Thank you

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
If I may unashamedly piggy-back on the thread...

Does anyone have an idea how to sort out Spotify to SONOS connection issues? Every so often (i.e. several times a day) while playing Spotify tracks or playlists through SONOS, it'll skip a track saying "connection to Spotify lost", or just stop 10 seconds or so into a track. It's particularly annoying when using it to play a carefully curated playlist of soothing bedtime songs for our 3 month old - she'll just be dropping off when the music stops or changes suddenly and it disturbs her! :eek: :angry:

No issues with other services via SONOS (streaming radio etc) and the broadband speed (and WIFI strength) is ample - it just seems to be the Spotify to SONOS connection. I have tried disconnecting and re-adding Spotify as a service within SONOS, all speaker software is up to date, as are the various apps (and phone OS), so it's driving me nuts! I can't see much advice other than updating speakers and disconnecting & reconnecting Spotify to SONOS elsewhere online, so I am hoping NSC comes up trumps - a very junior Albion fan will be eternally grateful, as will I!

Sorry/thanks to [MENTION=18657]bluenitsuj[/MENTION] for borrowing your thread (I have no solution to your problem I'm afraid) :thumbsup:

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
If I may unashamedly piggy-back on the thread...

Does anyone have an idea how to sort out Spotify to SONOS connection issues? Every so often (i.e. several times a day) while playing Spotify tracks or playlists through SONOS, it'll skip a track saying "connection to Spotify lost", or just stop 10 seconds or so into a track. It's particularly annoying when using it to play a carefully curated playlist of soothing bedtime songs for our 3 month old - she'll just be dropping off when the music stops or changes suddenly and it disturbs her! :eek: :angry:

No issues with other services via SONOS (streaming radio etc) and the broadband speed (and WIFI strength) is ample - it just seems to be the Spotify to SONOS connection. I have tried disconnecting and re-adding Spotify as a service within SONOS, all speaker software is up to date, as are the various apps (and phone OS), so it's driving me nuts! I can't see much advice other than updating speakers and disconnecting & reconnecting Spotify to SONOS elsewhere online, so I am hoping NSC comes up trumps - a very junior Albion fan will be eternally grateful, as will I!

Sorry/thanks to [MENTION=18657]bluenitsuj[/MENTION] for borrowing your thread (I have no solution to your problem I'm afraid) :thumbsup:
This is a relatively common issue with Spotify on Sonos, you could reconfigure your wireless router settings, if Sonos is on channel 11, try changing it to channel 1 or 6,if if is on 1 or 6 try changing to 11. Also check where your equipment is sited, if it is very close to other electrical, especially wireless devices this may cause interference issues, another thing which could help is to delete all speakers and then add them back on one by one, try playing Spotify as you add each one, this will show if you have any connectivity issues, if as you add them you experience the problem you could try relocating that device to an area with a stronger signal. I hope this all makes sense and with luck solves the problem!

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
This is a relatively common issue with Spotify on Sonos, you could reconfigure your wireless router settings, if Sonos is on channel 11, try changing it to channel 1 or 6,if if is on 1 or 6 try changing to 11. Also check where your equipment is sited, if it is very close to other electrical, especially wireless devices this may cause interference issues, another thing which could help is to delete all speakers and then add them back on one by one, try playing Spotify as you add each one, this will show if you have any connectivity issues, if as you add them you experience the problem you could try relocating that device to an area with a stronger signal. I hope this all makes sense and with luck solves the problem!

Thanks WBD!

Router is a BT Smart Hub, and it has automatically selected channel 11 as the least congested on the 2.4 GHz frequency and 36 for 5 GHz. I can overide to manually select the channels I want, but from the warnings that pop up when I poke around in the settings, I think I'll have to attempt this when I have more time and there are fewer things using WIFI (not least my work laptop :)) as it's telling me devices might lose connection. Knowing my luck, it'll sort the Spotify/SONOS problem and f**k up something more important :lolol:

I might also re-site one of the speakers which is right next to the router and an Alexa dot before I fanny around with the WIFI channels.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Thanks WBD!

Router is a BT Smart Hub, and it has automatically selected channel 11 as the least congested on the 2.4 GHz frequency and 36 for 5 GHz. I can overide to manually select the channels I want, but from the warnings that pop up when I poke around in the settings, I think I'll have to attempt this when I have more time and there are fewer things using WIFI (not least my work laptop :)) as it's telling me devices might lose connection. Knowing my luck, it'll sort the Spotify/SONOS problem and f**k up something more important :lolol:

I might also re-site one of the speakers which is right next to the router and an Alexa dot before I fanny around with the WIFI channels.

Thanks again!
No problems, hope it helps! From what you have said, simply re-siting the speaker may well sort it, better than buggering up stuff that is already working. Sometimes it is the simple solution that sorts it. Good luck!

rbridd

Aug 9, 2005
Morning

1hdmi from BT box to TV.

Firstly, You need to ensure that both your TV are ARC (audio Return channel), enabled.
Next, you need to ensure that the HDMI cable between the TV and your surround sound Receiver is plugged into the Receiver socket marked ARC.
Then you need to go into settings on the TV, and ensure that ARC is turned on
Then you need to go into the Receiver settings and ensure that ARC is turned on.
Then, when playing anything on your TV (broadcast, apps, or anything plugged directly into the TV inputs), , if you switch the receiver to "TV" it will play the ARC audio stream from the TV.

In this way, I have all my external boxes plugged into my TV, and the receiver is constantly switched the the TV setting.
All surround sound then works fine though the receiver without faffing around with switching the receiver to different inputs all the time.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I too am interested.
I have an LG TV and surround sound, had it for a number of years and I have never got it to work properly even with the manual.
It works with DVD but not through TV, I have tried everything it is supposed to be simple, all the cables in the right place etc.
I have this thing called Simplink that is supposed to do everything as you change from TV to DVD or other source.
I would love to actually get it working and set up properly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I too am interested.
I have an LG TV and surround sound, had it for a number of years and I have never got it to work properly even with the manual.
It works with DVD but not through TV, I have tried everything it is supposed to be simple, all the cables in the right place etc.
I have this thing called Simplink that is supposed to do everything as you change from TV to DVD or other source.
I would love to actually get it working and set up properly.

My TV and DVD/sound master unit are LG too - def needs an optical cable connection. Simplink works well - essentially just identifies all of the LG kit and connects it (just select the right inputs using 'settings' on the TV, and change the sound input to 'external/optical')

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here