Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Reclaiming Amy

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I don't know anyone that has never tried alcohol.
Alcohol was her problem and what killed her.
In trying to quit alcohol, she had become less tolerant and that was a major factor in why she died, she was trying to beat it and sadly it beat her.
Anyone who has ever got drunk on a frequent basis, i.e. most of us when we were in our late teens and early twenties, could have developed an alcohol dependency.

All the things we enjoy the most are about altering our state of mind, reading a book, watching a movie or listening to music. Going to watch Brighton is an escape for me, I get absorbed in the game and it is one of the few times my mind will stop thinking about all the shit going on in my life, the pre and post match conversations and what if's, or more rarely the reliving of a glorious moment, are all part of the addiction.

We all use something to change our state of mind and escape reality for a moment or two. Don't be too judgemental about what other people use and become addicted to, it could easily be you or someone that you care about that gets stuck with a bad decision.

I know people who have never tried alcohol. They are mostly narrow-minded, self-righteous and boring - elderly Methodists.

It by no means follows, though, that all elderly Methodists are narrow-minded, self-righteous and boring.

Jul 25, 2021
Dont get it myself.

Junkie.

I've no time for people who do drugs.

I hope you realise how many people you're claiming to have no time for?

Ethanol (also called ethyl alcohol, grain alcohol, drinking alcohol, or simply alcohol) is an organic chemical compound. It is a simple alcohol with the chemical formula C2H6O. Its formula can be also written as CH3−CH2−OH or C2H 5OH (an ethyl group linked to a hydroxyl group), and is often abbreviated as EtOH. Ethanol is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid with a slight characteristic odor. It is a psychoactive drug, recreational drug, and the active ingredient in alcoholic drinks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol

Jul 25, 2021
I could think of many artists who imo are overrated but not Amy Winehouse, I she was the best vocalist this century

Overrated = Adele

I really do find it ridiculous how people like to talk music as if it's a competition between different artists. I can understand where a sports person may be under/overrated as you can prove this through stats and league tables plus a trophy at the end, but how are artists rated when they're creating sound? Do they compete with each other until someone accepts defeat? Is someone like Robbie Williams better than Apex Twin because he's sold more records? I just don't get it? If you don't like the sound then change the track. God knows where all these music ratings come from though? I'm not mad on Classical music. I find it boring. But that's just purely my taste in music. I totally respect anyone who listens ad loves the sound of Classical music. Just not my cup of Horlicks.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I agree , Adele decent singer but nothing exceptional.

If Adele had died young with a strong sob story and addiction problems, with a couple of her early hits, everyone would be saying the exact opposite. The fact she is well-adjusted and very much alive is a good thing.

Amy Winehouse didn't live long enough to create any kind of notable discography. She assaulted people, constantly let down paying concert goers and all for what, 3/4 hits?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
If Adele had died young with a strong sob story and addiction problems, with a couple of her early hits, everyone would be saying the exact opposite. The fact she is well-adjusted and very much alive is a good thing.

Amy Winehouse didn't live long enough to create any kind of notable discography. She assaulted people, constantly let down paying concert goers and all for what, 3/4 hits?

i'm judging them purely on their voices, thats what they are famous for. I think Winehouse was / is the greatest singer this century, she has a distinctly unique, powefull vocal range. Adele is a good singer but not in the same league, it's a more forced / shouty style. Whatever happened in their private lives is not relevant

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We used to see her around Camden a fair bit, when we lived there. One Saturday she stopped for a chat asking why there were so many rockabillies out, I took this photo of her talking to my mates Brian & Mouse. She was genuinely interested and knew a bit our music and style, seemed like a nice young girl. R.I.P

Attachments

• ADBF4397-8BBC-4AF2-8D08-4B1D475AB117.jpeg
    ADBF4397-8BBC-4AF2-8D08-4B1D475AB117.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Dont get it myself.

Junkie.

I've no time for people who do drugs.

Just one example; one woman I look after became a heroin addict because as a child she was repeatedly gang-raped by her uncle and his friends and as a teenager and adult was pimped out by her father from the back of his van.
Would you have time for her or are you better than that particular “junkie”?
Believe me, I doubt many of them would have time for you, either.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up, will watch this later today.

Last edited:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

You're trolling, aren't you

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

She lived long enough to win five Grammys...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here