Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Team GB

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Throughly behind our guys and gals at the Olympics but it has only just sunk in with me whilst watching an interview with one of our team, why is it called Team GB? Bit rude to our Northern Irish cousins, so why is it not called Team UK?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Correct me if I'm wrong but some of the small British islands are not part of the United Kingdom but part of the "Team GB", right? So it wouldnt be including everyone even if it was called Team UK.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Throughly behind our guys and gals at the Olympics but it has only just sunk in with me whilst watching an interview with one of our team, why is it called Team GB? Bit rude to our Northern Irish cousins, so why is it not called Team UK?

I guess a similar reason the English & Wales Cricket Board is called the ECB. Marketing simplicity at the expense of geopolitical accuracy.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37058920

One thing is certain. "Team Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Channel Islands and UK Overseas Territories" doesn't roll easily off the tongue.

It seems that it is called TeamGB because we've used GBR since 1890 or something, so it's easier to market it that way. Besides, unionists in Ireland are British people in Ireland, so I can only imagine the Northern Irish athletes themselves are pretty relaxed about it. It will only be the mental headbangers in the DUP who are having any sort of hissy fit, unlike the Manx or Channel Islanders who are similarly affected.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

One thing is certain. "Team Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Channel Islands and UK Overseas Territories" doesn't roll easily off the tongue.

It seems that it is called TeamGB because we've used GBR since 1890 or something, so it's easier to market it that way. Besides, unionists in Ireland are British people in Ireland, so I can only imagine the Northern Irish athletes themselves are pretty relaxed about it. It will only be the mental headbangers in the DUP who are having any sort of hissy fit, unlike the Manx or Channel Islanders who are similarly affected.

Nobody ever considers the mental headbangers in the Manx and Channel Islands :down:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Interesting that at Rio must NI athletes represented Team Ireland rather than Team GB. I expect Team GB rather than Team UK (even if wrong for the islands) was probably another London centric decision that showed little consideration for our collectivity
Yes it is. My guess is that the Irish took the decision to take more competitors than ever before, and given that they represent up to 5m people rather than 65m it was probably easier to qualify that way.

I know there were unionist boxers who fought under the Irish flag simply because they felt that was where the financial support was coming from. I suspect it has all become a lot less contentious in recent times whereas during the troubles those competitors could be threatened for choosing the wrong representation that "betrayed" the community they were from.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

"Give us a T - eeee"

"F**k off".

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
From the studio, 5 mins ago, discussing GB identical twin gymasts:

Hazel Irvine: 'So. Beth. How do YOU tell them apart?'

Beth Tweedie: 'I tend to go by the events they are in'

THPP, not in the studio: I tend to go by the great big f**k-off non-identical numbers on the front of their leotards meself :moo:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Given that the Government are changing the details on vehicle registration plates to UK from the previously used GB or NI then I'm sure it won't be long before they demand a change to Team UK given their belief in the Union.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Yes it is. My guess is that the Irish took the decision to take more competitors than ever before, and given that they represent up to 5m people rather than 65m it was probably easier to qualify that way.

I know there were unionist boxers who fought under the Irish flag simply because they felt that was where the financial support was coming from. I suspect it has all become a lot less contentious in recent times whereas during the troubles those competitors could be threatened for choosing the wrong representation that "betrayed" the community they were from.

Boxing in Ireland is organised on an all-island basis (like rugby and unlike soccer). Boxing is one of the more popular sports within the Catholic community in the North although there have been prominent boxers from a Protestant background who have competed for Ireland and won Olympic medals. In the same vein - Catholic born boxers compete for NI in the Commonwealth games.

It is/was also unusual for sectarianism to be a component part of sporting activity in the North, even during the Troubles - again - apart from soccer (and gaelic football and hurling). Those three sports are by far and away the most popular and have the highest numbers of competitors (and the gaelic sports have nationalist overtones anyway).

In the current Olympics there are six players from the North who are part of the Irish hockey squad and two men who are part of the GB squad - Russell White is competing for Ireland in the triathlon - Kirsty Hegarty is competing for GB in the trap shooting - Mark Downey for Ireland in cycling - Patrick Huston for GB in archery - Rory McIlroy and Stephanie Meadow for Ireland in golf - four boxers for Ireland - Rhys McClenaghan for Ireland in gymnastics (one of Ireland's gold medal hopes) - three swimmers are competing for Ireland - six athletes are competing for Ireland - three rowers are competing for GB and one for Ireland.

So there is a wide mix of sports and representation.

It should also be noted that Dublin born athletes are competing for GB in sailing and rugby 7s - and of the GB's four competitors in women's gymnastics, one is the daughter of former Irish soccer international Mark Kinsella and the Gadirova twins were born in Dublin - so three of the four female gymnasts competing for GB could well be competing for Ireland instead. There are also Irish born athletes competing for Australia in athletics, USA in rowing (expected to win a medal) and Denmark in cycling and in rowing for Uganda. A number of the Irish athletes at the Olympics were also born outside Ireland - in Britain, Australia, Poland, Lativa and a couple of others. I am sure that there are some British born athletes competing for other countries as well other non-British born athletes competing for GB.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
From the studio, 5 mins ago, discussing GB identical twin gymasts:

Hazel Irvine: 'So. Beth. How do YOU tell them apart?'

Beth Tweedie: 'I tend to go by the events they are in'

THPP, not in the studio: I tend to go by the great big f**k-off non-identical numbers on the front of their leotards meself :moo:

And just to bring it full circle, the Gadirova sisters were born in Dublin.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
It should also be noted that Dublin born athletes are competing for GB in sailing and rugby 7s - and of the GB's four competitors in women's gymnastics, one is the daughter of former Irish soccer international Mark Kinsella and the Gadirova twins were born in Dublin - so three of the four female gymnasts competing for GB could well be competing for Ireland instead. There are also Irish born athletes competing for Australia in athletics, USA in rowing (expected to win a medal) and Denmark in cycling and in rowing for Uganda. A number of the Irish athletes at the Olympics were also born outside Ireland - in Britain, Australia, Poland, Lativa and a couple of others. I am sure that there are some British born athletes competing for other countries as well other non-British born athletes competing for GB.

I will certainly be cheering on Brighton born Albion fan Felix English when he competes for Ireland in the track cycling. As long as he's not about to beat one of, erm, our own.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A90B661B-14D8-45CA-A694-2B0B4CD5B4E0.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here