Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neil Oliver.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I believe it is obligatory for one of us to state at this point that this thread is going well.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I very much enjoyed his work on Coast, and his History of Scotland book and series.

This, however, is utter gibberish and drivel.

Because I’ve no idea how to do multiple quotes I’ll just use this one. I was just stating what my opinion on Neil Oliver was, indeed I hadn’t even listened to what he was saying here. And no, I don’t agree 100%. My problem is this, we just cannot have gentle discussions anymore it seems. Fine, lots of you didn’t like what he said, but the vitriol against him, come on, really?
I have many friends who’s opinions on certain subjects I disagree with, it doesn’t make me attack them with personal insults. What Oliver is saying is a view held by quite a few people, again, not me. I’m just saying I like the fella and just because he has a different opinion on this subject, that’s his right. I mean, half you people getting enraged about it think GB News is some far-right news organisation that you wouldn’t be found dead watching, so what’s the problem?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Because I’ve no idea how to do multiple quotes

3B139217-97E8-4402-BB91-F8F725461740.jpeg

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Because I’ve no idea how to do multiple quotes I’ll just use this one. I was just stating what my opinion on Neil Oliver was, indeed I hadn’t even listened to what he was saying here. And no, I don’t agree 100%. My problem is this, we just cannot have gentle discussions anymore it seems. Fine, lots of you didn’t like what he said, but the vitriol against him, come on, really?
I have many friends who’s opinions on certain subjects I disagree with, it doesn’t make me attack them with personal insults. What Oliver is saying is a view held by quite a few people, again, not me. I’m just saying I like the fella and just because he has a different opinion on this subject, that’s his right. I mean, half you people getting enraged about it think GB News is some far-right news organisation that you wouldn’t be found dead watching, so what’s the problem?

As far as I can see, a core strategy of GB news is to create controversial, shareable content. This guy picked an inflammatory analogy knowing it'd rile people. That was his aim so I doubt he's worried if a few people online are calling him an idiot.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patreon
Aug 24, 2020

So you hadn't actually watched the video that is the subject of the thread, before chastising those who were critical of it?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

He is out of order for making an analogy with a domestic abusive relationship, in my opinion.
Claiming that the separation of people (lockdown) is designed to keep us from helping and supporting one another is absolute bollocks, and feeding paranoia to the paranoid.
Any undermining of the measures that will help us to get back to normal, and keep us from becoming sick is a problem, for everyone, not just the deluded ****wits that watch GB News.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patreon
Aug 24, 2020
I see Arlene Foster has joined GB News. Do you think they have some kind of agenda going on?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well what he said may have been controversial, but like it or not, although l am not one of them, there are certainly plenty of people who would agree with him. At the very least he is entitled to his opinion.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Yes. If you liked top of the pops in the early 70s, it's a knockout, the paintings of Rolf Harris, Cosby, the Wall Of Sound, and Kilroy, then you are compelled to turn a blind eye to any amount of paedophilia, rape and murder that may (or may not - most of this is conjecture) have detracted from the reputations. It's the broflake law.

You're stretching the boundaries somewhat with your conjecture. Kilroy is just his surname. He didn't actually kill Roy.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I wonder if had written a similar article for the Guardian, whether he would have got the same reaction from people on here.

Firstly, to answer your point, As a Guardian reader, I would have no problem in calling something out that it printed that I disagreed with.

Secondly, I like this blokes stuff on the coast etc, but this is paranoid irresponsible rubbish…… and I have listened to it.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I wonder if had written a similar article for the Guardian, whether he would have got the same reaction from people on here.

I don't watch GBeebies, or read any right wing publications (except for The Times and The Telegraph on politically neutral subjects).

Sometimes I read The Guardian or The Independent. Occasionally the Byeline Times. This is not to feed myself in the left wing enclosure but because they do print stuff about government activity that you are unlikely to see elsewhere.

But I don't read them religiously because both news sources are just as capable as slanting and disappearing up their own backsides as others.

If this chap, who I have never heard of, had appeared in The Guardian, I would have been just as much 'WTF ?' as if one of our NSC gammonati had started a thread here.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Yes it's GBN which may upset a few on NSC yet for us he is bang on the money. :clap2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTkWd_3mAXQ

TV for aspiring Brown Shirts. Back in the 30s Oswald Moseley would have been a frequent contributor.. I’m all for freedom of speech but really this channel is nothing more than a far right wannabe fascist state TV. With Farage now on board it’s only a matter of time before Katie Hopkins gets on board.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes it's GBN which may upset a few on NSC yet for us he is bang on the money. :clap2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTkWd_3mAXQ

It's possibly good for GBeebies viewing figures to have this bit of controversy, this is only his opinion after all and he seems to try to distance the station from these views. When he reads this stuff off the autocue you can almost visualize this as the speech from a front man for a newly installed military junta that's had just seized power somewhere in Central America.

I think where it all falls apart is when he says he has had "hundreds and hundreds of cards and letters "... apparently not even properly addressed to him..... yet they found him ? from the UK and around the World ?..... so, not enjoying the Covid response who you gonna call ? well obviously some bloke with long hair that used to walk round bits of coastline, not your MP or the government. A bloke who's name cannot be spoken is the focal point for the upcoming rebellion ? Laughable.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

That implies that those challenging are left wing wokes. Maybe but not exclusively. Im none of those but I recognise bullshit when i see it. This is rubbish and dangerous, along the lines of "I think the people of this country have had enough of experts"

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
That implies that those challenging are left wing wokes. Maybe but not exclusively. Im none of those but I recognise bullshit when i see it. This is rubbish and dangerous, along the lines of "I think the people of this country have had enough of experts"[/QUOT
I dont think he`s saying any such thing. It depends which experts you listen to. The government seems to be listening to one group mainly SAGE, and Imperial College, who argue that the current lockdown strategies are the ones that work. Many disagree, including those that have signed the Great Barrington Declaration who include esteemed professors Gupta and Carl Henighan of the Univesity of Oxford amongst many leaders in the field of virology, pubic health and epidemiology.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Not sure what your point is. Neil Oliver's political views are well known which is why he was employed by GBNews in the first place.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here