Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Olympics viewing strategy

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Thought it was strange that the Dutch girl who finished 2nd in the cycling road race celebrated like she'd won it...

Only to find out she had thought she'd won it :ohmy:

I can't believe that she didn't know, not in 2021 with the levels of communication they have now - she must've been celebrating an Olympic silver medal...surely?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Definite Ippon get up you waffle eater.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
GB first medal a Bronze in judo, well done Chelsie Giles

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well done Coventry's Chelsie Giles, stuffing the Belgians and the Swiss.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I'm recording all of it so that I can skip through and watch the bits I want to.

Saw some of the Women's synchronised 3m springboard earlier and thought I'd misheard the name of one of the Chinese competitors whose name is Shi Tingmao ... sounded like Cheating Men!!! She won gold anyway!!

Now watching the Women's Hundred ... which is quite entertaining ... and has a real crowd and atmosphere ... and it is raining out!!

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I can't believe that she didn't know, not in 2021 with the levels of communication they have now - she must've been celebrating an Olympic silver medal...surely?

the vast majority of professional races all have the riders radioed up, with team cars and sports directtors giving minute by minute updates. The Olympics is more old school, with basically very little info being passed to the riders.
In todays race the breakaway jumped out front from the very start, and basically was out of sight very quickly. The peleton then reigned them back in, leaving just three out front. Unbeknown to the Dutch team, one of those three then broke away from the break away, leaving two riders together. The Dutch then worked to bring this two back and succeeded, not realising another rider was ahead.

Had the four dutch riders realised there was a lone rider, they would have worked together and would quite easily have caught up, that course was very hard for a solo rider, cycling is much more of a team sport than many realise., with three protecting one, she would have had bags of energy. Because they didnt realise the race situation ahead, they werent working effectivly and as a result the eventual winner was so far ahead that even when they caught the second and third placed pair it was too late. The dutch went on the attack as soon as that pair were caught so wouldnt have heard about the rider ahead

she did say she thought thet were racing for gold at the end!

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I see Andy Murray cried off again and presumably wasted a place that a more deserving player could have had

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I see Andy Murray cried off again and presumably wasted a place that a more deserving player could have had

isn't this the equivalent of taking injured players to the Euros or World Cup. Always a danger that they wont recover, or break down if they play to early.

I dont follow Tennis enough to know about his injury status just before the Olympics, but as defending champion I would imagine that had a bearing on his selection.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Ideal situation here. 4 month old not sleeping after jabs. He tends to get thrown towards me about 4am and we go downstairs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Utter shambles at the triathlon start……false start, half the field ploughing through the water, half on the pontoon. Start gun fired when the ‘safety’ boat was in front of them

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Utter shambles at the triathlon start……false start, half the field ploughing through the water, half on the pontoon. Start gun fired when the ‘safety’ boat was in front of them
Sorry just said the same on the other thread. What an absolute mess. How the hell could that have been allowed to happen ffs?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Sailing and Cycling are my 2 favourite sports at the Olympics. Sailing not affected at all by no spectators and the indoor cycling will feel a bit strange.
If I subscribe to Eurosports for the year, any idea which other major sporting events they will have? I know they had Le Tour. Giro? Vuelta?
Cheers.
We tend to better in sports where we are sitting down.
Cycling, rowing,yaughting, dressage etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here