Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Home Office Pay Off Claimant In Bullying Case With Taxpayers Money

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Priti Patel was due before an employment tribunal in September. Of course, this would prove embarrassing as such things are not heard in private.

So an agreement has been reached and we are all footing the bill.

The Home Office refuses to divulge how much of our money has been spent. The Home Secretary, despite a report that the government has shelved, remains in position with just a 'sorry'. This after Johnson over-ruled the ethics advisor.

Democracy has now reached an age of utter contempt.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...lying-case-philip-rutnam-latest-b1812520.html

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Boris has turned into Berlusconi.

A pity the claimant has accepted any amount of money to keep his mouth shut, however, assuming this is the situation.

(Edit: it clearly is; but the establishment has a long history of this - the met at one time was paying out millions a year in compensation for wrongful arrests, duffing people up, etc.. While I am more than ready to BURN Boris, it may well be the case that this is just common or garden shithousery, rather than new chasms of calumny and devil worship)

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Standard corruption, nothing to see here...

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Boris has turned into Berlusconi.

A pity the claimant has accepted any amount of money to keep his mouth shut, however, assuming this is the situation.

(Edit: it clearly is; but the establishment has a long history of this - the met at one time was paying out millions a year in compensation for wrongful arrests, duffing people up, etc.. While I am more than ready to BURN Boris, it may well be the case that this is just common or garden shithousery, rather than new chasms of calumny and devil worship)
This is not new. A few years ago a very close relative of mine took a large sum in compo from West Sussex fire brigade but had to sign a non-disclosure agreement after being driven out by bullying and finally a farcical attempt at prosecuting him for a made-up crime. All because he questioned a new policy. This happened when Labour were in power. They’re all as bad as each other…

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Looking forward to the OPs November post about Johnson thinking about (but only for a short time) not isolating after Sajid Javid goes down with covid.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
This is not new. A few years ago a very close relative of mine took a large sum in compo from West Sussex fire brigade but had to sign a non-disclosure agreement after being driven out by bullying and finally a farcical attempt at prosecuting him for a made-up crime. All because he questioned a new policy. This happened when Labour were in power. They’re all as bad as each other…

Truly sorry to hear about what happened to your relative.
Small point of correction - West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service is a department within West Sussex County Council. I am pretty certain that has only ever had a Conservative majority?
Labour may well have been in power at a national level, but never in West Sussex, as far as I am aware?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Looking forward to the OPs November post about Johnson thinking about (but only for a short time) not isolating after Sajid Javid goes down with covid.

You wait till I tell you about Johnson boasting about shaking hands with Covid patients. Won't look good if he gets it will it ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I agree that this is not new.

However, what has the fire brigade got to do with labour? Do you really think the labour party paid off your friend to protect their reputation? My expectation is they would have happily seen the fire brigade thrown under a bus had they been involved in this. One of my brothers worked for the fire brigade for years in Sussex. They were a law unto themselves.

None of this allows you to equate Patel and Boris and his corrupt tories with the labour party. Other cases might allow you to do that (under Corbyn perhaps, but he's gone) but not this. 'They are all as bad as each ther' is not the right conclusion to the present case. :shrug:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I agree that this is not new.

However, what has the fire brigade got to do with labour? Do you really think the labour party paid off your friend to protect their reputation? My expectation is they would have happily seen the fire brigade thrown under a bus had they been involved in this. One of my brothers worked for the fire brigade for years in Sussex. They were a law unto themselves.

None of this allows you to equate Patel and Boris and his corrupt tories with the labour party. Other cases might allow you to do that (under Corbyn perhaps, but he's gone) but not this. 'They are all as bad as each ther' is not the right conclusion to the present case. :shrug:

Absolutely correct, St Bliar never led the country into a pointless war killing people from our own forces as there were weapons of mass destruction that never existed.

The point being they are all as bad as each other, power corrupts.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Priti Patel was due before an employment tribunal in September. Of course, this would prove embarrassing as such things are not heard in private.

So an agreement has been reached and we are all footing the bill.

The Home Office refuses to divulge how much of our money has been spent. The Home Secretary, despite a report that the government has shelved, remains in position with just a 'sorry'. This after Johnson over-ruled the ethics advisor.

Democracy has now reached an age of utter contempt.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...lying-case-philip-rutnam-latest-b1812520.html

It was £340,000 paid out.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56281781

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

A very special form of whataboutery! Well done.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not sure it's worth drawing parallels with Iraq. Completely different issue due to the ideological issues in the Republican party and a somewhat puppet UK PM who rolled the wrong dice.

What's happening now is a very different issue. Cabinet ministers are breaking the rules and in the past they would visit the back benches for a while, this happened in both parties.

What's very different now is the strategy is to completely ignore because it isn't seeing significant gains in the polls for the opposition.

That's a major shift in how bad behaviour by MPs is dealt with by the incumbent ruling party. Under this regime you are more likely to lose a seat at the big table by having a disagreement with an unelected advisor. Break the ministerial code ? Nah, no problem whatsoever.

It's a weird strategy for the Conservative party which is the most successful party in the world and they don't usually act like this. At some point (years away) if they continue like this they will take one hell of a kicking at the polls if Labour sort themselves out and the pandemic inquiry is damaging.

The whole environment seems to set up to give Boris a few "good years" but he couldn't give a toss what happens afterwards.

It's possible the party will act against him well before a Labour party get in. That's usually what the party do.

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I believe this is the second time a cash settlement has been paid from public funds to a civil servant as compensation for Ms Patels rather strong arm staff relations.

An out of court settlement again out of public funds, of £25,000 was paid to a civil service employee in 2017 for Ms Patels bullying, harassment, and discrimination on the grounds of race and disability.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
But people will still go and vote for them (Lab & Cons) and can't/won't do anything about it. They will keep watching this deceitful, patronising, sneaky, fraudulent government go about their work, crippling us.

From what I'm seeing/reading, the motion is already in place to stop people protesting about their regime, and the press can get up to 14 years in prison for putting a truthful, (term used loosely), story about a lying MP.

They country has gone mad, it's do as we say, not as we do.

So glad I'm outta here in a few years.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
In no way do I wish to defend Ms Patel, but the agreement would most likely have been cheaper for the tax payer. If the matter had proceeded then there would have been additional costs for all parties on top of what was awarded.
Would have been nice to see her forced to explain her actions though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In no way do I wish to defend Ms Patel, but the agreement would most likely have been cheaper for the tax payer. If the matter had proceeded then there would have been additional costs for all parties on top of what was awarded.
Would have been nice to see her forced to explain her actions though.

It's a good point re the financials, but why on earth would you pay the other party huge sums (plus their expenses) to keep it from going to court if you were innocent :shrug:

What with this, the England footballers spat and the latest news on the police having to help out the RNLI volunteers, her culture war isn't going great, is it :facepalm:

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Absolutely correct, St Bliar never led the country into a pointless war killing people from our own forces as there were weapons of mass destruction that never existed.

The point being they are all as bad as each other, power corrupts.

WTF is happening here? A time jump thread on a story of payoffs for wrongful dismissal from 18 weeks ago being whatabouted with a decision to go to war, from 18 years ago.

It is doing my head in that any criticisms of the current Government, get defended with, Corbyn would have been worse, Blair was worse, etc. Well, they might have been, but they are not in the job now, they are not the ones currently ****ing us over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here