Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Where's my ping?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Despite of carrying on pretty much as have done over the last year or so, I have yet to be pinged and only know of one person that has. Yet when I listen to the news it seems like half the populations' phones are lighting up like Christmas trees? ???

I don't especially relish the idea of 10 days self-isolation but it does feel a little like I'm in a parallel universe compared to what I see being reported.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Despite of carrying on pretty much as have done over the last year or so, I have yet to be pinged and only know of one person that has. Yet when I listen to the news it seems like half the populations' phones are lighting up like Christmas trees? ???

I don't especially relish the idea of 10 days self-isolation but it does feel a little like I'm in a parallel universe compared to what I see being reported.

I guess your monastery is pretty well doing the right thing:D

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Also, why are there (apparently) so many pings this time around? I don't remember a "pingdemic" in previous waves.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Also, why are there (apparently) so many pings this time around? I don't remember a "pingdemic" in previous waves.

It is a mystery, that's for sure. But let's be clear that it has nothing to do with a heatwave and the start of the school holidays. Absolutely not.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

More people using the app. More places where restrictions have 'loosened' with regards to social distancing, the way places are set up etc.

They've not actually explained the criteria but given they are using bluetooth technology it is likely that you are in close proximity (<5Meters) to someone for a prolonged period of time that has then tested positive.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It is a mystery, that's for sure. But let's be clear that it has nothing to do with a heatwave and the start of the school holidays. Absolutely not.

And absolutely NO Jolly Boys bragging about it to all and sundry all Summer. Perish the thought, leave it out guvnor etc etc

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
We never had a heatwave then

There was a heatwave last August, and 2,500 people died.

What has the heatwave (not) got to do with it?

More people using the app. More places where restrictions have 'loosened' with regards to social distancing, the way places are set up etc.

They've not actually explained the criteria but given they are using bluetooth technology it is likely that you are in close proximity (<5Meters) to someone for a prolonged period of time that has then tested positive.

But the criteria hasn't changed, has it? And surely cases were high before? Difficult to know about numbers of app users, though the news always seems to be about people deleting it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

But the criteria hasn't changed, has it? And surely cases were high before? Difficult to know about numbers of app users, though the news always seems to be about people deleting it.

I don't think we know. But public transport has stopped blocking off seats, you can go indoors pubs / restaurants, bigger groups mixing etc.

Also lack of lateral flow / PCR testing

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I don't think we know. But public transport has stopped blocking off seats, you can go indoors pubs / restaurants, bigger groups mixing etc.

True, though it's a long time since I did any of that myself.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I was pinged once and knew one other person who was pinged before June.

Since then, I've been pinged as have at least 30 people I know. I play a friendly football match every Monday that had to be cancelled for three weeks because 11/16 people got pinged. It is insane.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I've been asking myself the same question, and kind of assuming people aren't testing themselves. This week for work I've been in London everyday, on crowded trains, some meetings and coffees in places that are less distanced than I'd like. I'm typing this from a train between Olympia and Clapham Junction where every seat is taken and mask wearing isn't higher than 50%, yet somehow I've not been pinged whereas from the news I've been expecting it all week.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

There were very few cases last Summer shirley? The graph had flatlined. Eat Out To Help Out and all that. Main difference was last Summer the Jolly Boys were all on furlough. This Summer they're all being pinged, apparently

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham

Even through house walls or work lockers so they say .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I didn't get pinged but have been in self-isolation since Sunday 11th July due to coming into contact with someone who tested positive. I then tested positive for Covid a few days later and I'm finally allowed out tomorrow. Cannot wait. It's been through the whole house of five of us and was not a pleasant experience.

As for pinging, a combination of more people having the app, the new (seemingly more contagious) variant, doing away with restrictions and some general apathy towards covid on the whole has meant more people are getting it and spreading it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've been asking myself the same question, and kind of assuming people aren't testing themselves. This week for work I've been in London everyday, on crowded trains, some meetings and coffees in places that are less distanced than I'd like. I'm typing this from a train between Olympia and Clapham Junction where every seat is taken and mask wearing isn't higher than 50%, yet somehow I've not been pinged whereas from the news I've been expecting it all week.

The good news is that those maskless FreEdoM fIghTErs absolutely will also not install and run the app, so there's no chance of getting a ping due to your proximity to them.

Our sole ping came during a few days away in London at half-term. From the day in question, we think it was probably one of...

- The hotel breakfast room, where we were for around 45 minutes
- Five Guys at Long Acre, where we were for about 30 minutes
- Some pub on the South Bank where we were for about an hour in the evening, although outside throughout

It could also have been at the British Museum, but I'm assuming not as you tend to move through the museum at differing speeds to others, so don't spend very long close to anyone else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here