Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A question for all you Seagulls in 'exile'...

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
So I was having a "friendly" back and fourth with a Palace fan about just how HUGE Palace are compared to us, how pathetic we are and all that "mind the gap" nonsense... when asked why I wasn't "taking the bait", my response was that I didn't care all that much about Palace. When asked why, I told him that I now care more about games and results against the likes of Villa, Wolves and West Brom because I now live in the Black Country, and have done for the last decade. He was shocked. Hell, even I was a bit shocked. Don't get me wrong, I care more about the results against Palace than say, games against Newcastle, but not as much as the aforementioned West Mids teams. Am I just a bit odd? Or have other exiles too started to place more importance on games between Brighton and those clubs closer to where they now live, perhaps more so than games against Palace? ???

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’ve lived away from Brighton for nearly 30 years, palace are still the big one

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I once went all the way up to Bolney but even then I still managed to maintain my contempt for palace.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
After 40 years in the midlands I’m the same.
Moved to the southwest now mind you where it’s not an issue

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I moved to the Midlands 20 years ago when we [B&HA] were $hit so only got into footy discussions at work with supporters of other non-prem clubs.
All the yokels round here are either Wolves or Shrews with a handful of West Brom / Villa / Brum [excluding the plastic ManU and Liverpool nobs]
Now that we are in with the big boys and are competitive I enjoy a more level footing in the bragging rights.
That said, I can't agree that results against the scum are any less relevant that Mids-based sides - just that there is more banter to be had as there's not a lot of Palarse round these parts

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Lived in Liverpool for over 30 years. The outrageous two shots, two goals defeat was the most sickening loss for years, so Palace still for me. Beating Liverpool and City last season was amazing but they somehow don’t feel like rivals, more like big clubs we’re trying to sneak a result against. I guess my feelings could be different to the OP because he is surrounded by other clubs that we can realistically beat. UTA.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’ve lived away from Sussex for 36 years and it’s still Palace for me. I enjoy the games against the local teams more as less traveling and I know more of the home fans but doesn’t come close in terms of game importance.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Three of my birding pals here in Spain are 'scummers' (love winding them up over BW!), one is Wetsham, one Chelski and two others are Leeds. Quite enjoyed last year, certainly led to some banter.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Only particularly care about Palace.

If the people I worked with or friends or whatever made a big thing of it, I might be more bothered. I think a rivalry has to go both ways to really have any feeling to it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Always Palace for me. Albion don't tend to come up against Almeria, Sevilla, Cagliari or Hanoi too often. I guess when I was living in Bristol it made games against City more significant.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I live in Warwick. For me it is about who my mates support these days. Fortunately my best mates are Leeds, spurs and Liverpool so I had a wonderful season.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Lived in north London for 25 years, couldn’t care less about us vs Arsenal or Spurs other than the three points, palace is the game for me

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Live near Swansea and have mates that support Swansea so hope they do well but obviously not against us. Also Watford local and hope they do well but not against us. So it's Palace, Reading, then the rest.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
So I was having a "friendly" back and fourth with a Palace fan about just how HUGE Palace are compared to us, how pathetic we are and all that "mind the gap" nonsense... when asked why I wasn't "taking the bait", my response was that I didn't care all that much about Palace. When asked why, I told him that I now care more about games and results against the likes of Villa, Wolves and West Brom because I now live in the Black Country, and have done for the last decade. He was shocked. Hell, even I was a bit shocked. Don't get me wrong, I care more about the results against Palace than say, games against Newcastle, but not as much as the aforementioned West Mids teams. Am I just a bit odd? Or have other exiles too started to place more importance on games between Brighton and those clubs closer to where they now live, perhaps more so than games against Palace? ???

YES! Southampton will always be my cup final!

Palace pale into insignificance in comparison!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
There can be only one....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here