Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Miami FC

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I see Nevilles side have lost 5 in a row. I suppose it is no problem because there is no relegation

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Sounds like he may get binned off already. The age of that squad must be huge though. Gonzalo Higuain is 33, his brother (who knew?) Federico is 36, Gibbs is 31, Shawcross is 33, Matuidi is 36.... It's a proper overseas retirement home of a club

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Was in the USA recently and thought I'd tune into some MLS 'soccer'. The standards were just abysmal. I mean League 1 type of players, and that's probably an insult to L1.

Club owned by his mate Becks, so even tho they have the worst record in MLS history, he'll still be looked after even if he gets the push.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It takes time to build a squad and a team - especially if your only management experience has been at International level. They should give him the time to get the squad right.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Sounds like he may get binned off already. The age of that squad must be huge though. Gonzalo Higuain is 33, his brother (who knew?) Federico is 36, Gibbs is 31, Shawcross is 33, Matuidi is 36.... It's a proper overseas retirement home of a club

And each one probably thinking who is this man and what is he talking about.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Should rename it Miami Spice after Beckham's missus

AlbionInUs

Oct 11, 2019
US
Why are Americans so reluctant to have promotions and relegations in the MLS?

It's such a successful format that it's used (as far as I'm aware) in pretty much EVERY other country.

The USA could dominate world "soccer" - but without the drama of promotion/relegation how will it ever get the fan base?

The Americans just end up watching The Premier League.

The MLS is perhaps less successful in the quality of football, but it is arguable more successful financially. Around the world, and especially in England, clubs spend well beyond their means, and sometimes, to the brink of extinction, in an attempt to achieve promotion/avoid relegation. Without that threat, MLS teams are not as pressured to sack managers, or make short term decisions. In fact, the revenue of top MLS teams is not too different from the of Brighton. The top MLS teams generate around £70m in revenue, whilst Brighton generated around £130m.

Although more sustainable financially, I would argue that the entertainment value is much greater in the PL. However, PL clubs, and clubs in the EFL in general, rarely turn a profit. And yes, I am an American and is watching the PL, not the MLS

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The age of that squad must be huge though. Gonzalo Higuain is 33, his brother (who knew?) Federico is 36, Gibbs is 31, Shawcross is 33, Matuidi is 36.... It's a proper overseas retirement home of a club

It's all very well strolling around the park in Miami but can they do it on a cold Tuesday night in Malibu?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I had a feeling and am probably completely wrong, the league is quite physical and somewhat more like British leagues than most others in style (but certainly nowhere close in ability). I’d be surprised if a team of ‘experienced older players’ was the way to go against 23 year old ‘athletes rather than footballers’, although certainly a couple as a spine could work. Seems like one of the worst managers ever, has gone too far that way and is paying the price.

It’s also why Locadia with his ‘workrate’ didn’t succeed over there. Looks physical but just isn’t in any way. Sooner we can get him off to USG whilst paying 90% of his wages the better.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

It's such a successful format that it's used (as far as I'm aware) in pretty much EVERY other country.

The USA could dominate world "soccer" - but without the drama of promotion/relegation how will it ever get the fan base?

The NFL and other sports don't have promotion and relegation. Apparently " It is organized in a way that assures the teams' continued existence in the league from year to year"

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
The MLS is perhaps less successful in the quality of football, but it is arguable more successful financially. Around the world, and especially in England, clubs spend well beyond their means, and sometimes, to the brink of extinction, in an attempt to achieve promotion/avoid relegation. Without that threat, MLS teams are not as pressured to sack managers, or make short term decisions. In fact, the revenue of top MLS teams is not too different from the of Brighton. The top MLS teams generate around £70m in revenue, whilst Brighton generated around £130m.

Although more sustainable financially, I would argue that the entertainment value is much greater in the PL. However, PL clubs, and clubs in the EFL in general, rarely turn a profit. And yes, I am an American and is watching the PL, not the MLS

Yes, 100% true. Driven by fans who always want to see 'progress' clubs spend money they haven't got in order to achieve league positions they can't sustain. It is crazy but, hey ho, that's the system. Obviously as you're well aware the MLS, like I think most American sports, is franchise-based rather than being a free-market free-for-all. This is a completely different model, better in some ways, (certainly financially), as the view is it's the overall product that's important.

I love the NFL, and that certainly doesn't need promotion or relegation to make it more exciting; the way the competition is structured with divisions and conferences culminating in the Superbowl is perfect. And because all the franchises are equal things like the salary cap and the Draft ensure that every team is capable of having their day in the sun. (Except my beloved Browns who always find a way to screw it up).

I do love our football pyramid system as well though, but it does come at a (literal) price.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Would agree with that, and also other posters who've said the standard is about League 1. I followed New York Red Bulls for about 5 years on and off, being a season ticket holder for 2. Prices for admission and season tickets were good value and being owned by Red Bull drinks I don't think they had any real financial issues and their new stadium was state of the art when it was built including some standing areas. I liked that they treated spectators as paying customers not just bums on seats, also being able to take your beer back to your seat was nice. They had a good youth academy bringing some promising players through and some decent players like Thierry Henry and Rafa Marquez and a few English players like Bradley Wright Philips. I started losing interest for a few reasons; a long journey to New Jersey to watch them play, Kick Off times which were all over the place including late on Sunday nights and the fact that you never ever got that same atmosphere you get at PL games in England. Also since 2013 NBC Sports (who took over from Fox Sports who were rubbish) was screening live every PL game in England including Brighton since 2017

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

As with anything American, it's just about business. The MLS is a single-entity competition which means that each team is owned by the league and individually operated by the league's investors. So the owners of clubs basically have "franchises" supplied by the league but their investment is in the league.

Because of this, the owner's business interest is in the league making money rather than in individual clubs dominating. You make profit in the league regardless of where you place.

What a rubbish vision of the future for fans.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
As with anything American, it's just about business. The MLS is a single-entity competition which means that each team is owned by the league and individually operated by the league's investors. So the owners of clubs basically have "franchises" supplied by the league but their investment is in the league.

Because of this, the owner's business interest is in the league making money rather than in individual clubs dominating. You make profit in the league regardless of where you place.

What a rubbish vision of the future for fans.

Do you think our dog-eat-dog pyramid system is that much better, with everyone scrambling over everyone else to try and get even higher? As you say in the USA the League is the thing but at least they do try and make sure that all the franchises are equal, all make a profit, and thus survive. Our clubs (all varying sizes) are individual entities and think solely of themselves with the big clubs always dominating and always wanting more and more. At least the 'flat' franchise system avoids that.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

And in a state with the highest age in the United States population wise. A lot of folk move south to spend their retirement in the Florida sunshine.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here