Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] CAZOO Buy a car online.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Looking to sell my car when I get back home & buy a new / used one. Been browsing Autotrader and there are lot I like the look of from Car Supermarket and Cazoo etc, for purchase online.
Some of the deals look great, which always puts doubt in my mind. Just wondered if anyone has experience of buying a car online.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The vast majority of cars sold by supermarkets and places like this are ex-lease, and they're the ones deemed not clean or desirable enough to go to main dealers. But, you pay your money, you take your choice. :shrug: The Consumer Rights Act applies for Business-to-Consumer purchases, giving you the right to cancel or reject

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/conten...mer-rights-act-protect-you-when-you-buy-a-car

Most ex-lease go through auctions to be fair unless they are super new / low mileage still. Was surprised my 19-plate Audi A7 with 16,000 miles in spotless condition ended up going to auction at the beginning of the year, rather back through a dealership !

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
After my thread yesterday i am now doing this.
I am not sure post 2 is right, I would not go to a car supermarket but Auto Trader to name 1 of many are cars placed there by main dealers that are ex demonstrators or very low mileage or ex lease that (hopefully) will be totally checked out, valeted and serviced.
Although a lot of ex lease do go to auctions too, it depends on the mileage I think.
The prices are high though and good ones are snapped up as i found out yesterday.
You may have to travel anywhere in the country to look, test and buy though, some sites like Cinch deliver and you get 14 days or send it back.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Bought with Cazoo last summer. Service was spot on with car being delivered to door, full run through of specifications and everything was as described.

A far better experience than dealing with garages or private sellers trying to have you over given half a chance…

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Bought a 2 year old low mileage car from a main dealer in January - Trust Skoda in Redditch. They gave me top book for my old car, without seeing it, gave me a blinding deal on the car I wanted, delivered the new car free the next day to Swindon and picked up the px at the same time. Have been in touch 3 times in the last 6 months to make sure everything is OK and we are happy. It's as if Carlsberg sold cars online. :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Always used a garage for the simple reason if it goes wrong you know where they are, these internet sellers will sell you one and offer very poor after sales a bit like that oft lamented and gone computer company TINY = Tough It's Now Yours

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Always used a garage for the simple reason if it goes wrong you know where they are, these internet sellers will sell you one and offer very poor after sales a bit like that oft lamented and gone computer company TINY = Tough It's Now Yours

Are you stuck in 2010? I believe you can find just about every main dealer Mercedes for sale in the country of their website. To suggest that Internet car sellers are basically scammers is just wrong. Most main dealers sell cars online since Covid and I personally don’t see it going back to what it was before.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I'm currently looking for my first car, I've no clue what to look out for when buying a used car as I've never had anyone around to teach me stuff like that. I have a budget, I know a few cars I'm interested in, but it could be a pile of shit for all I know and I wouldn't know until the wheels come off, so to speak.
I know I'll end up having my pants pulled down by a Swiss Tony type.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm currently looking for my first car, I've no clue what to look out for when buying a used car as I've never had anyone around to teach me stuff like that. I have a budget, I know a few cars I'm interested in, but it could be a pile of shit for all I know and I wouldn't know until the wheels come off, so to speak.
I know I'll end up having my pants pulled down by a Swiss Tony type.

Main dealer with good feedback is your friend in this case I think. What make of cars are you interested in?

Ebay is almost certainly not the way to go :lolol:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Main dealer with good feedback is your friend in this case I think. What make of cars are you interested in?

Ebay is almost certainly not the way to go :lolol:

I'm steering clear of private sales. As someone else touched on, the after sale service would be nonexistent, possibly even troublesome if something went wrong.
I've been looking on autotrader but looking at garages/businesses instead of private. Main dealer would be great but I'd imagine it would serious cut down my options for my budget. And I'm under no illusion that for £5-£7.5k I'm not going to get a sparkling car with no issues, but I'd like something decent.
Been looking at some serious hairdresser cars, SLK, TT, Scirocco. Something I can have a bit of fun in as I've missed out on a lot of years of driving.
Obviously I'll be shot down with my selection of cars, but I've worked out insurance, tax, running costs etc and they fit what I can realistically afford, the VW more than the other two.
As I said, total novice at this so any pointers are more than welcome.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm steering clear of private sales. As someone else touched on, the after sale service would be nonexistent, possibly even troublesome if something went wrong.
I've been looking on autotrader but looking at garages/businesses instead of private. Main dealer would be great but I'd imagine it would serious cut down my options for my budget. And I'm under no illusion that for £5-£7.5k I'm not going to get a sparkling car with no issues, but I'd like something decent.
Been looking at some serious hairdresser cars, SLK, TT, Scirocco. Something I can have a bit of fun in as I've missed out on a lot of years of driving.
Obviously I'll be shot down with my selection of cars, but I've worked out insurance, tax, running costs etc and they fit what I can realistically afford, the VW more than the other two.

Good choices and all old quality cars BUT maintenance is gonna be HIGH, due to their age and service history is an absolute must as they will need fettling at the price you are looking to pay….imo. Don’t you have a car savvy friend who could go with you? Forums are excellent for buyer guides. My advice would be to spend a lot of time getting your check list together.

You could of course ignore my advice as I am an Alfa fanatic and everyone who has never owned one knows they are rusty unreliable heaps of money pit shit :lolol:

Mazda MX5? Reliable cars and plentiful

Another thing to consider is that people who buy the cars you are looking at generally have some mechanical nous to do the simpler things at least. If not you will get charged at least £50 per hour labour plus parts. All the cars you mention COULD be money pits if not.

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Good choices but all old quality cars BUT maintenance is gonna be HIGH as they will need fettling at the price you are looking to pay….imo

I am a little wary of the SLK and TT in terms of maintenance, although I've been looking at '07 onwards so hopefully that would help. I think the Scirocco is the one for me, cheapest insurance of the 3, virtually no road tax, best on fuel, 4 seats and more practical.
I'm excited to be looking for my first car but crapping myself if it goes wrong.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I am a little wary of the SLK and TT in terms of maintenance, although I've been looking at '07 onwards so hopefully that would help. I think the Scirocco is the one for me, cheapest insurance of the 3, virtually no road tax, best on fuel, 4 seats and more practical.
I'm excited to be looking for my first car but crapping myself if it goes wrong.

Good luck in your search but 07 is 14 years old, it’s an old car, it will almost certainly have some issues unless you get very lucky. Service history and bills ( not just a stamped service book) are absolutely essential imo. Number of owners shouldn’t be too high and often higher mileage well looked after cars are better than low mileage cars that have been driven 10 miles every few days rather than motorway miles are a better choice, again just imo.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Have you considered a Honda S2000.

It covers your hairdresser needs but the Honda V-TEC engine has never failed.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
You could of course ignore my advice as I am an Alfa fanatic and everyone who has never owned one knows they are rusty unreliable heaps of money pit shit :lolol:

Funny you should say that, I was also looking at 159's and Brera's. Reliability played a large part in me deciding not to pursue either one but I think Alfa's have a bad rep that isn't necessarily warranted in their more recent cars.
The Brera is properly sexy, I do want one.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Have you considered a Honda S2000.

It covers your hairdresser needs but the Honda V-TEC engine has never failed.

Mmmm, good shout. That engine is a thing of beauty.
My Mrs really isn't keen on the two seater options I keep mentioning, but let's test the water.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mmmm, good shout. That engine is a thing of beauty.
My Mrs really isn't keen on the two seater options I keep mentioning, but let's test the water.

Sorry I might have made things worse as you'll not get the age and price to match your needs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here